Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > News and Updates > Statue Reviews

Old 09-01-2014, 06:46 AM   #1
Sithlord32
New Republic

Yoda Ilum Statue ~ Gentle Giant Ltd

"To Ilum we must go." ~Yoda

Ilum a planet in the Unknown Regions similar to that of the planet Hoth is made up entirely of ice. A place of great importance to the Jedi as a main source of Adegan crystals used in the ceremony of Lightsaber construction. Many Jedi traveled here as initiates prior to becoming a Padawan to complete the ritual of The Gathering.

From the art of Adam Hughes and Star Wars: The Clone Wars Gentle Giant presents us with this fine representation of everyone's favorite pint size Jedi Master; Yoda (Ilum).

Product Details
Title: Yoda (Ilum)
License: Star Wars
ES/EX (edition size): 1,900 (exclusive edition size): NA
Scale: 1:6
Composition: Polystone
Dimensions: H 5.70” W 4.30” D 4.45”
Product Weight: 1 1/2 lbs
Manufacturer: Gentle Giant
MSRP (USD): (EX) NA (REG) $115
Design: Adam Hughes, Gentle Giant

*NOTE: My lighting for the pics is giving it a sheen. This statue is not or does not have a glossy finish to it.*

Sithlord32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 06:46 AM   #2
Sithlord32
New Republic

Judge him by his size do you? As well you should not for his ally is the force behind Gentle Giant and a powerful ally it is. This was a piece I been anticipating for quite a while and I will say it was worth the wait. Few and far between are pieces from the expanded universe and this is a great representation of the character from a exciting story line. As an avid Star Wars collector having pieces from outside the main story lines of the movies really appeal to me in a great sense that they represent what makes Star Wars and all great Sci-Fi , imagination. They tell a story beyond what is written which keeps the property fresh and fun to collect.

Summary

Sculpt:10

Though not identical to the source material from Hughes it is described as based on so one can only expect an interpretation therein. For a piece that is as small if not even a little smaller than the average mini-bust this sculpt has amazing detail keeping in line with accuracy and proportion. It breaks the mold of other representations of Yoda which make it great in itself.

Paint & Mixed Media:9.5
The paint application is very well done. The flesh tones have nice contrast and shadow with some great detail throughout. His inner and outer robes have fluidity. His eyes are nice and sharp with proper highlights. I feel this statue as a whole has really nice flow to it with the colors used but I think the contrast could have been greater. I was also under the assumption that his outer robe was a matte black from production pics but it is obviously only a darker brown than we normally see him in. That was kind of disappointing I think the darker or near black color would have added to the mystique of the piece.

Design:9.0

The overall design for this was kept in check from the original art from Hughes. Its small its simple but holds a greater presence than many pieces on larger scales and that speaks volumes in my opinion. The base is a follow through on its simplicity with a black mirror finish on top it has an elegant appeal. His facial expression is what really holds one at attention. He holds on to the base by two long pegs which slide in with ease.They did a really fantastic job on this overall though I think there could have been more detail in his robes and given it is titled Ilum some snow or frost on the piece would have sealed the deal at a 10.

Production & Build Quality:10
No issues to report here. It looks as flawless as its going to get coming from a factory. No missed spots or blotching in the paint. With the small parts like his ears and cane it doesn't feel as though a piece will bust off and is packaged well. Its sturdy on its base and is ultimately very light even for a mini bust sized statue. The face came out looking superb. Love the detail in his eyes and expression. That could have been very easily botched but was held and done with fervor.

OVERALL: 9.6
When it comes down to it this is a really great Star Wars piece from Gentle Giant. With no real issues quality or production wise one can pick this up with confidence that it will enhance your Star Wars collection.
Old 09-01-2014, 11:23 AM   #3
Force of Nature
Marshal Law

Love the piece and love the review!
keep up the good work!

Rainer

Nothing can stop The Juggernaut... NOTHING!
Force of Nature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 09:23 AM   #4
Dahwaf
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Great job on the amazing review!
Love your photos!
Dahwaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 04:28 AM   #5
Sithlord32
New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Force of Nature View Post
Love the piece and love the review!
keep up the good work!

Rainer

Nothing can stop The Juggernaut... NOTHING!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahwaf View Post
Great job on the amazing review!
Love your photos!

Thanks my fellow reviewing professionalologists!
Old 02-11-2015, 07:48 PM   #6
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

Great review! Very nice piece.
JP Sarri is offline   Reply With Quote