Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > News and Updates > Statue Reviews

View Poll Results: Which of these three mini-busts do you like best?
I think the Gladiator mini-bust clearly trumps the other two busts 0 0%
I feel The Mighty Thor in his Battle Armor is the most impressive mini-bust here 2 66.67%
Without a doubt the Mandarin is the superior mini-bust of the bunch 1 33.33%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-08-2015, 06:15 AM   #1
Force of Nature
Marshal Law

BUSTed! – Part 2: The Gladiator, Thor Battle Armor and Mandarin MB's by Bowen Designs

Size matters not. Look at me. Judge me by my size, do you? Hmm? Hmm. And well you should not.
- Yoda, the Jedi Master; Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back

Hi guys,

With all those spectacular, grail like full size statues which are released on a very regular basis by more and more companies, it is easy to overlook the art, beauty and appeal of mini-busts.
They are much smaller than full size statues or PF’s, they do not have mixed media attributes or fancy light-up features and are, because of this, often considered to be less sexy and funky.
I think it’s would be fair to say that in general mini-busts are less popular and less sought after than their bigger polystone brothers and sisters.

In my humble opinion mini-busts deserve much better however. For starters much more known and less known comic book characters have been captured for the centuries to come in mini-bust format than as full size or Premium Format statues. Characterwise you have a much broader choice in mini-busts than you have when looking at the larger statues or busts.
Furthermore mini-busts are also much more practical and economical since they are (far) less expensive and demand far less real estate in your display room.
Just like there are real gems and grails amongst the bigger pieces, there are also treasures to be found amongst mini-busts and I think they can easily be a very important part of any collection and any display.
The way I see it, mini-busts have a lot going on for them and as such they deserve much more time in the spotlights.
The beauty is that this hobby should not, and fortunately also is not, only about the large legendary scale figures or premium format statues.
No, there is beauty and pure art to be found in mini-busts as well and a mini-bust can just as much be a proud part of someone's collection as a large piece can.
After all it's not the size of the piece but rather the quality and presence of the piece that matter, would not you agree?

That’s why I have decided to to start a series of reviews under the ‘BUSTed!’-moniker in which I will regularly review two or three mini-busts and in this second edition we will have a look at the Mini-Busts released by Bowen Designs of The Gladiator, Thor Battle Armor and The Mandarin!

I will try to focus mainly on the pictures and try to avoid long pieces of tekst. In my verdict I will not judge each mini-bust on its own but in comparison to the other two mini-busts also included in the review.

Alright then guys and girls, let’s go!
Have fun with the pics and please let me know which of these three mini-busts you think rules the most!

Background Information

-1. Gladiator
Number: 733/2000
Sculpted by: Erick Sosa
Release Date: October 2006
Edition Size: 2000
Order Of Release: Phase III (bust #145)
Height: this bust is 6.5 inches tall

Kallark is a member of the Strontian race, and was born under Shi'ar rule. All Strontians are born with the capacity for great strength and various superpowers, but can only use them when they are completely devoted to a purpose. Fearing a Strontian rebellion, the Shi'ar emperor ordered Kallark, among other Strontians, to kill the Strontian elders. Only Kallark was devoted enough to carry out the order, and the others were killed when their wavering commitment rendered them weak. As a reward for his actions, Kallark was named the Praetor (leader) of the Shi'ar Imperial Guard.

The fiercely proud Gladiator is the leader, or praetor, of the Imperial Guard, a multi-ethnic group of super-powered alien beings who act as enforcers of the laws of the Shi'ar Empire. Gladiator was amongst the first of the Imperial Guard encountered by the team of superhuman mutant adventurers known as the X-Men who sought to rescue the Princess-Majestrix Lilandra from her insane brother, then-Majestor D'Ken. Following the orders of their emperor, the Guard clashed with the X-Men and were on the verge of winning when the band of interstellar freebooters known as the Starjammers arrived to turn the tide of battle in the X-Men's favor.

The Guard and the X-Men subsequently clashed once more when the Shi'ar sought to end the threat to the universe posed by the cosmic entity known as the Phoenix, which had assumed the form of X-Men member Jean Grey. As praetor of the Guard, Gladiator was an obvious choice to be one of eight Guardsmen chosen to battle the X-Men. The Guard defeated the X-Men on this occasion, but the mutants were allowed to return to Earth after Phoenix seemingly committed suicide.
Kallark has not always been an adversary however and he later aids the X-Men against several renegade Imperial Guardsmen serving a Shi'ar traitor, Lord Samedar.

============================================

-2. The Mighty Thor Battle Armor Edition
Number: 1654/3000
Sculpted by: The Kucharek Brothers
Release Date: May 2005
Edition Size: 3000
Order Of Release: Phase II (bust #105)
Height: this bust is approximately 8 inches tall

Thor, the Norse God of Thunder, is one of several powerful ancient beings who dwell in a magical realm called Asgard. Through history, these beings have been revered and worshiped as gods. Ages ago, Odin, lord of the Asgardian gods, desired a child who would one day exceed him in power. Odin wooed Gaea, the earth goddess, and from their union Thor was born in a small cave in Norway on Earth. Odin took him to be raised in Asgard by his wife, Frigga.

The young Thor grew up alongside his adopted brother Loki, the trickster, who was always jealous of his more favored sibling. Thor grew in power and popularity and on his eighth birthday, Odin had the hammer Mjolnir created for him, enchanting it with powerful magic. Odin decreed that Mjolnir would be presented to Thor when his son had been proven a worthy warrior. After spending the next eight years training and performing heroic deeds, Thor was given the hammer and declared the greatest warrior in Asgard.
Thor still lives on in our daily lives since his name is the origin of the weekday name Thursday.

============================================

-3. The Mandarin
Number: 159/1800
Sculpted by: Rick Force
Release Date: February 2007
Edition Size: 1800
Order Of Release: Phase III (bust #157)
Height: this bust is over 6.5 inches tall

The Mandarin's late father was one of the wealthiest men in pre-revolutionary mainland China (and a descendant of Genghis Khan), while his late mother was an English noblewoman. Their son was born in an unnamed village in mainland China before the Communist revolution. The boy's parents died soon after his birth, and he was raised by his (paternal) aunt, who was embittered against the world and raised him with much the same attitude. Every last bit of the family fortune was spent obsessively training the Mandarin in science and combat, with the result that he was penniless by adulthood. Without the wealth to pay the taxes on his ancestral home, the Mandarin was evicted by the government.

Hoping to find a means of avenging himself upon the civilization that had taxed him and rendered him homeless, the Mandarin explores the forbidden Valley of Spirits, where no one has dared to set foot for centuries.
There he finds the skeleton and starship of Axonn-Karr, an intelligent dragon-like alien from the planet Maklu IV, who had come to Earth centuries ago and died. Over the following years, the Mandarin studies Makluan science until he masters it. He also learns how to use the ten rings he found within the starship, which are apparently its propulsion source, among other things.
The ten rings which the Mandarin found have the following powers respectively: ice blast, mento-intensifier (hypnosis), electro blast, flame blast, white light, sonic blast, impact beam, vortex beam, disintegrator beam, black light.
The Mandarin uses his newfound power to become a conqueror. He subjugates the villages around the Valley, and through his advanced science, rapidly becomes a power that not even the Chinese Army can successfully challenge.
He then embarks on a long series of attempts to achieve world domination. The Chinese, though fearing him, ask for his help, but he will not become subservient to them.

The Mandarin sees technology as the surest means to achieve his goals. Over the years, he frequently attempts to turn the weapons of various nations against them. Among the Mandarin's earliest schemes is the sabotage and theft of American missiles and spy planes built by Tony Stark. To restore public confidence in his workmanship, Stark dons his Iron Man armor and flies to China to investigate.
Iron Man soon became the Mandarin's principle obstacle against his plans for world domination.

You will find my verdict about these three mini-busts shortly in post number 9 down below; for each of the four criteria I will mention one winner and also explain why the bust in question outranks the other two busts in this regard.
Have fun and get ready to rumble!

Rainer

Nothing can stop The Juggernaut... NOTHING!
Force of Nature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 07:02 AM   #2
Force of Nature
Marshal Law

BUSTed! – Part 2: The Gladiator, Thor Battle Armor and Mandarin MB's by Bowen Designs

I am Gladiator, Superguardian of the Shi'ar Imperium. My sworn duty is to preserve stellar harmony.
May the eternal heavens forgive us for what we must do here.
Destroy all mutants.

- Kallark

Rainer

Old 01-08-2015, 07:04 AM   #3
Force of Nature
Marshal Law

I came in search of the X-Men. You will do.
- Kallark

Rainer

Old 01-08-2015, 07:07 AM   #4
Force of Nature
Marshal Law

I am Thor Odinson of the Vikings, giant. I am not the God of Reason and Understanding. I am the God of Thunder and Lightning!!!
- Thor

Rainer

Old 01-08-2015, 07:09 AM   #5
Force of Nature
Marshal Law

For Asgard! Nay-- FOR MIDGARD!
- Thor

Rainer

Old 01-08-2015, 07:12 AM   #6
Force of Nature
Marshal Law

Enter if you dare the presence of ... The Mandarin!
- The Mandarin

Rainer

Old 01-08-2015, 07:14 AM   #7
Force of Nature
Marshal Law

I propose a duel, Iron Man. You against me, one on one.
- The Mandarin

Rainer

Old 01-08-2015, 07:16 AM   #8
Force of Nature
Marshal Law

Brothers In Arms...

Rainer

Old 01-10-2015, 09:13 AM   #9
Force of Nature
Marshal Law

My Verdict

I have said it in the previous edition of the BUSTed!-series and I will say it again: as different as these three busts are from each other, they also have a lot in common. All three busts are in their own way great representations of the respective characters and each of these busts could rightfully and proudly take their place into the collection of any fan or collector out there.
In my verdict below I will not so much comment on the strengths and flaws of each bust separately but much more compare the busts with each other to see how they score in comparison to each other.
The goal is not to conclude which bust is best (that may be different for all of us) but only to indicate what I like about these busts and where I feel there is possibly room for improvement.
For each criterium I will, if possible, point out one bust which scored the highest and explain why in relation to the other busts.

Of course there is nothing more personal than pointing out the merits and flaws of any statue or bust and your mileage may vary from my scores below.
I will give it my best shot however and hope you will find my views understandable and useful even if you’d feel differently than I do. Should you feel differently though please let me kno wand please feel free to let me know as well which bust *YOU* like best!
With that in mind and without further delay ladies and gentlemen, please find below the verdict of the jury:

Sculpt: The Mandarin
Visually speaking the MB of Thor is the most striking and the biggest eye-catcher of these three busts at first sight. Thor looks powerful, angry and determined and I have no doubt whatsoever that the Odinson is about to unleash his righteous fury on the enemies of Asgard! The God of Thunder is on a warpath and that means trouble for everyone whom he needs to have words with!
When looking at the MB’s of The Mandarin and Gladiator a bit longer though it becomes clear that even though both busts have a more reticent appearance, there is a lot to like and admire about their sculpt as well.
What I like for example about the Gladiator bust is the fact that Kallark has a very calm and self-assured appearance and this reminded me immediately of his unique power: the more confident Kallark is the stronger he is.
Looking at Kallark’s pose and expression is seems like the Praetor of the Shi’Ar Imperial Guard is ready to take on the entire universe if need be!
For me the bust sculpt-wise is however the bust of The Mandarin. At first sight the sculpt may seem a bit boring but I think it catches Mandarin perfectly while he is brooding and contemplating, thinking about his next move to take over the world.
To me the Mandarin has never been a physically impressive villain nor the kind of villain who frightens you with their big guns and trigger-happy fingers.
No, I have always considered Mandarin to be a thinking villain, the kind of man who thinks before he leaps and who carefully plans his next moves to ensure thinks works out exactly as he wants them to.
Looking at the bust this is exactly what I see: a man lost in thoughts, a man hellbent to rule the world, a man thinking how to overcome the temporary setback Iron Man has caused with his intervention. I also love the sculpted rings on Mandarin’s fingers since they are his power source as well as the large shield with a Chinese dragon sculpted on it. This is a beautiful reference to the Chinese roots of the Mandarin.
Thor is one of the most powerful Asgardian Gods, Kallark is a more than worthy leader of the Imperial Guard but Mandarin is the one I would watch out for since he will never stop planning your demise if he feels you are a threat

Paint & Mixed Media: Thor
None of the three busts have mixed media elements so I will not be able to evaluate the busts in this regard. When it comes to the paintjob all three busts have a good, solid and beautiful paintjob.
The paintjob on Mandarin is great tribute to his comic book appearance and it helps bringing the Mandarin to life. The same goed for the paintjob on Gladiator: it is comic book accurate, neartly done and convincing in every way.
The paintjob which impressed me most however was the paintjob on the mini bust of Thor.
Thor really shines and that is caused not only by the impressive sculpt but also by the awesome paintjob. Every aspect of this bust is painted beautifully from Thor’s red cape flowing in the wind to his gold colored battle armor, his skyblue and metallic silver chainmail and the white feathers on his helmet.
Thor’s appearance is divine and regal and the paintjob really makes you realize you are looking at one of the most well known and important Gods of Asgard.

Design: The Mandarin
I like the design of the the Mandarin MB the best because of the effort put in the base. Both Thor’s as well as Gladiator’s base are relatively simple and straightforward.They are far from disappointing bases and they do the job and do fit the characters: Thor is placed on a stone pillar which could be a reference to the pillars in his royal palace in Asgard whereas Gladiator is situated on what looks like to be a piece of advanced machinery from the technologically very advanced Shi‘Ar empire.
With regards to the Mandarin, I feel Bowen Designs went the extra mile however to turn the base into something special.
I like the mystical, oriental appearance of the base with the Chinese dragon depicted on the large shield in the middle of the base. The base is very detailed with lots of decorations and it’s also quite wide and large. When I unpacked the bust I was very much surprised by the wide base and the many details visible on it.
The Chinese culture is very rich and diverse and I feel various style elements from that rich background were used when the base was sculpted. The Mandarin is from China and the base creates a link with his background and culture in a very impressive way.
The base really adds to the appearance and appeal of the bust in Mandarin’s case whereas that is less the case with regards to Thor and Gladiator.

Production & Build Quality: Draw
I am certain that with a bit of TLC all three busts will proudly take their place in your collection for the rest of your life.
They are all solidly built and should not break unless a disaster happens and they’d be dropped on the floor for example.
You have to be a bit careful with the wings on Thor’s helmet since they might break if handled incorrectly but other than that you really cannot go wrong with any of these busts.
Buy them and enjoy them; that’s basically all you need to do and as such I feel all three busts are winners in this regard.

Please feel free to let me know in case you agree or disagree with my views and thank you for reading this review. More of these reviews will follow in the (near) future so please drop by to check out the review section regularly!

Rainer