Hawkgirl Bombshells by DC Collectibles

Hawkgirl Bombshell – DC Collectibles
Designed by Ant Lucia
Sculpted by Tim Miller.
Stands at approximately 10.25” high.
Limited edition size of 5200.
RRP: $124.95 USD

Intro.
Let me start of by saying: I fell into the Bombshells statue line by accident. Really. Sure, I always admired the initial Supergirl and Wonder Woman statues, but I didn’t want to start a new, expensive line. I bought the Harley Quinn Bombshell as a gift for a friend, who I later found out already had the statue. So, I thought, “Oh well, I’ll just keep this one, no harm I guess.”

Boy, was I wrong.

6 statues later, here we are. 2 more already pre-ordered, 2 more announced recently that I plan to pre-order, while still frantically searching for 2 old releases (Wonder Woman and Poison Ivy). The only statue I’ve skipped is Batgirl – just didn’t like her design. And the Holiday Harley, if that counts.

I guess what I’m trying to say here is DC has a HUGE property on their hands that’s continuing to grow with tremendous success. And with that success, we’ve been lucky enough to get some lesser-known characters, like Hawkgirl. Sure, she was popular on Justice League Unlimited, but she hasn’t had many statue releases. So let’s see how she does here…

Sculpt. 9.5
Tim Miller provides another gorgeous sculpt for the line. Miller’s work on this entire line has been a real highlight, and he has a real knack of translating Ant Lucia’s artwork faithfully. I think DC have found themselves a great duo, almost as good as Adam Hughes and Jack Mathews work together on the original Cover Girls line.

There are some great details on this piece, like her costume, her boots and of course, her wonderfully playful jetpack. They’ve used clear(ish) resin on the jetpacks smoke, which adds a really cool effect to the overall piece. The bubble-gum bubble in her mouth is also super cute.

Paint. 8.0
There’s some really great paintwork on this piece. The colours are rich and very vibrant. The colours really pop! The lines on her costume are clean and the details on her jetpack are done nicely.

There are some paint marks and tiny sloppiness on her arms, but it’s generally all very well done.

Design. 8.5
Ant Lucia really knocks it out of the park with this piece. He manages to perfectly blend pin-up and superhero. She retains much of the Hawkgirl elements, but at the same time, is more human than hero. As cool as it would have been to see her with huge wings, the jetpack, hilariously named 'The Hammer', makes this piece so much more playful – plus the cheeky bubble-gum expression is adorable.

Production and Build Quality. 8.0
This is a sturdy, strong piece and came out really well. The box interior is designed well to ensure safety for the statue during shipping. A few things to note here, both good things though.

Firstly, the nameplate have switched to magnetics. They are no longer stuck on like the earlier releases. I believe this was done to avoid the nameplate breakages during shipping, which was a common issue with the first few releases.

Secondly, the pegs to get the statue into the base are really tight and hard to get her in properly. You really got to wiggle her in a little to ensure she’s in there properly. But let me tell you- once she’s in, she sits there perfectly. Again, I think this was a good decision because a LOT of recent DC stuff (Bombshells, Artgerm’s Cover Girls) wobble around due to loose pegs. However, because it is so tight, I’d imagine it’d be difficult getting her out, so be super careful.

Overall. 8.5.
By now you should know I really love this piece. Easily my new favourite from the Bombshells line, Hawkgirl is an impressive addition to this line. This line is continuing strong, with Mera coming out in May, Lois Lane scheduled for August, Batwoman for September, Catwoman for October and the new Harley/Joker in November. That’s 6 releases in one year, and still have designs ready to go for Jesse Quick, Starfire, Arisa, Carol Ferris, Katana, Joker’s Daughter, Talia Al’ Ghul. However, some of those characters don’t seem popular enough to have 5200 statues produced. That still leaves other fan-favourites that could receive new designs: Where’s Power Girl? Or Huntress? Or even Raven? With so many choices, this line looks to continue for a long time ahead.

How are you guys feeling about this line? Do you like the choices so far? And who would you like to see next?

Dahwaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 03:14 AM   #2
Dahwaf
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Dahwaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 09:39 AM   #3
dechirico7
The Flash

Great review. I knew this one would turn out good.
dechirico7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 04:04 PM   #4
Force of Nature
Marshal Law

Hi Dahwaf,
I must admit that I am not familiar with the character but that does not stop me from admiring this statue and enjoying your review.
I am already looking forward to the next one!

Rainer

Nothing can stop The Juggernaut... NOTHING!
Force of Nature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 02:07 AM   #5
Sithlord32
New Republic

Nicely done. Great little collection of this line you have there. Think it helps to see the piece in a setting with its companion pieces.
Sithlord32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 08:58 AM   #6
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

Great piece and great review, Dahwaf. I love the beauty and sassiness of this line.

It seems as it DC is coming out of a long and bumpy road. For a good while, collectors were loosing hope (myself included) on this legendary company and its ability to deliver quality stuff. I can say with total certainty that DC is back in the game with artistically bold and innovative passion. Let's be honest. Who else is willing to create out of the ordinary and playful art with a well established license? Even when they are subsidiaries of the company that owns the license? DC definitely hits a niche that is for the most part untouched in this competitive industry. Some might consider the art simple, small and unimpressive; but no one can deny the beauty and the rich imagination behind it.

Once again, great work Dahwaf. You are getting better and better.
JP Sarri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 09:30 AM   #7
risingstar
Jedi Order

This line features some great designs. Cool pix!
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 12:10 PM   #8
Bmutha
I like to make what's yours mine.

I love the unique designs from this line, and they look great all lined up next to each other. Great review!
Bmutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 10:48 AM   #9
Doc4LC
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Love the review and pictures. I've had my eye on this piece, but am afraid that what you described in your intro would happen to me too.
Doc4LC is offline   Reply With Quote