Statue Forum 





StatueForum on Twitter StatueForum on Facebook StatueForum on YouTube
Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > ARH Studios

» Spotlight
DGK Diamond Select Premier Black Panther Statue DGK Kotobukiya ArtFX Spiderman & Venom 1:6 Statues Dechirico Diamond Select Gwenpool Statue Comic Soon:
Clay Moore - Inside Stories
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2015, 11:55 AM   #31
qz33
Guardians of the Universe
 
qz33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 10,749
So just to recap are there any exclusives or extras from ordering direct from ARH for this particular statue?
qz33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 11:03 PM   #32
ReplicantSavior
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?
 
ReplicantSavior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Electronic World
Posts: 7,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by qz33 View Post
So just to recap are there any exclusives or extras from ordering direct from ARH for this particular statue?
As far as I know only the NYCC version had a print with a signature I believe.
ReplicantSavior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 11:25 PM   #33
pdenham
100,000 sperm and you were the fastest?
 
pdenham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Somewhere else
Posts: 1,840
have to admit I'm getting a little nervous about this one.

I really hope the style of the new face sculpt doesn't clash with the rest of the statue when it's in hand. While I initially preferred it to the original sculpt, I think I'm changing my mind.
New sculpt just looks too smooth, too polished, too...unlike the painting.

When you see the pains Ehren is taking to get the Barbarian as close to the source as possible, it just seems like they settled on this one too quickly.

Hope I'm wrong.
pdenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 12:34 AM   #34
qz33
Guardians of the Universe
 
qz33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 10,749
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplicantSavior View Post
As far as I know only the NYCC version had a print with a signature I believe.
Thanks for replying man.
qz33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 06:15 PM   #35
ReplicantSavior
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?
 
ReplicantSavior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Electronic World
Posts: 7,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdenham View Post
have to admit I'm getting a little nervous about this one.

I really hope the style of the new face sculpt doesn't clash with the rest of the statue when it's in hand. While I initially preferred it to the original sculpt, I think I'm changing my mind.
New sculpt just looks too smooth, too polished, too...unlike the painting.

When you see the pains Ehren is taking to get the Barbarian as close to the source as possible, it just seems like they settled on this one too quickly.

Hope I'm wrong.
I think you might be right. I was looking at the other upcoming Frazetta pieces ARH is working on and they look almost exactly like the paintings. Maybe Huntress is just a bit more difficult with the facial likeness. But I think I might just wait for what else they have coming. Or save for the Conan which looks like it might be better than the old version from Clayburn Moore. The girl on that one looks perfect too. However I remember the older Egyptian Queen statue didn't have the best face sculpt.
ReplicantSavior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 06:31 PM   #36
cstojano
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 742
I'd actually be interested in someone doing a critique of the Moore piece. I can't find anything wrong with it. I have heard complaints about the legs sort of ending cut off but this hardly seems the fault of the sculptor.
cstojano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 07:34 PM   #37
ReTardist
A closed mouth gathers no foot.
 
ReTardist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Irvine California
Posts: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstojano View Post
I'd actually be interested in someone doing a critique of the Moore piece. I can't find anything wrong with it. I have heard complaints about the legs sort of ending cut off but this hardly seems the fault of the sculptor.
I have studied Moore's sculpt inside out and backwards. I used it as reference for my own piece. I promise you, there are things Moore did that deviate quite a bit from the painting, but when you are trying to sculpt something 3d from 2d control art, you start to see why these decisions are made. The one thing he totally changed was the angle of right arm (resting on the dagger). I was critical of this at first, but as my sculpt developed, I started to understand why he did it that way. I basically ended up doing the same thing LOL Moore did a great job. No doubt
ReTardist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 09:35 PM   #38
TNovak
Hawkman
 
TNovak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Frozen Wasteland
Posts: 7,455
I love Moore's version. So much so in fact that when I heard ARH was doing it in 1/4 scale I planned to pass. Figured ARH would be bigger but wouldn't otherwise be better and I am short of room. The incredible job Ehren did on this changed my mind. I will definitely be buying the Barbarian (like I did the DD, after complaining as much as possible about the over size).

RE previous comment RE Moore's cutting off the legs of the girl. To me (and Ehren can correct me if I'm wrong) it looks like each artist took a different approach to trying to keep the base to a manageable size in proportion to the figures. Moore looked at the painting ans saw that Frazetta just let the legs sort of drift out of the painting undefined and decided to go with basically cutting the sculpt off where the legs drift off the painting. It appears to me that faced with the same problem and even compounded because of the larger scale, ARH opted to make the muck pile much steeper than appears in the painting. Both options have merit and I am happy with the results of both.
TNovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 10:33 PM   #39
pdenham
100,000 sperm and you were the fastest?
 
pdenham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Somewhere else
Posts: 1,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReTardist View Post
I have studied Moore's sculpt inside out and backwards. I used it as reference for my own piece. I promise you, there are things Moore did that deviate quite a bit from the painting, but when you are trying to sculpt something 3d from 2d control art, you start to see why these decisions are made. The one thing he totally changed was the angle of right arm (resting on the dagger). I was critical of this at first, but as my sculpt developed, I started to understand why he did it that way. I basically ended up doing the same thing LOL Moore did a great job. No doubt
it looks to me like so far you are doing a bang up job on the Barbarian- and a very conscientious one.

Here's the thing- Frazetta was a commercial artist and an admitted procrastinator. A lot of these paintings that fans , and pros like Ehren, are looking at like Holy Writ, were dashed off to meet a deadline. Sometimes at the last minute.
Sure, FF had enormous technical skill, a photographic memory and decades of practical experience- but he also wasn't above cutting corners where ever possible. I first learned this from a crusty old bookseller in the 80's who thought Frazetta was way overrated. Any time he could get out of painting hands and feet, obscuring them in shadow or sunken in mud, he would. He could draw these elements as good as anyone and better than 99.9% of them, but to fudge them in a painting that was going to be reproduce in a live area about 4" x 4" was a fully practical approach to meeting a deadline.

I just say that because I fully realize Ehren and others are going to have to deviate on more than one occasion and square the circles he left. And I hope other people realize that also and don't give them too much grief for having to interpret according to their best judgement.
pdenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 05:32 AM   #40
deadscary
Frackin!
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 39
Hi all, great site. I pre ordered the nycc edition of this. Paid the $700 & I'm still not sure when it's coming out. The date has changed a couple of times. The last message I had was after February next year. Anybody know when? I have asked but no reply yet. Should I be concerned?
deadscary is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS

Prototypezstudios

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:08 PM.



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright StatueForum.com