Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 08-30-2019, 05:09 PM   #1
SpectatorGuy
Fantastic Four

Verifying authenticity of ebay purchases

I honestly should have put more thought into this before winning two pieces off ebay.

How do y'all verify a piece is real once you receive it from ebay?

I managed to win a couple of Wonder Woman commissions from a comic book store in Rhode Island (my apologies if anyone else here was also bidding!). Purportedly they were from a collector (Randy?) who was involved with Boston Comic Con and sold a bunch of WW commissions to the shop in question. Sadly, it came with a post it note sticker of what they were selling it in store for FAR cheaper than what I paid.

I'm fairly sure the Quinones is real, at least the back marker bleed through looks legitimate. I have no idea how to verify the Ed Benes pencils though.

In any case, any advice from y'all would be appreciated. Even though the real advice is don't buy from ebay! Feel free to post your own ebay horror stories, if you've recovered from the trauma that is!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WonderJoe.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	125534   Click image for larger version

Name:	WonderBenes.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	125535  
SpectatorGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 06:21 PM   #2
galactus
Cosmic Art Collector
Adamantium Plus Member

Contact the artists directly and ask if they're real.
galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 11:07 PM   #3
Demona
Martian Manhunter

I believe that ComicConArt is the rep for Ed. He should be able to verify.

I have an Ed commission, gotten thru his rep. I will say that your Wonder Woman musculature looks his style, the face and hair do not. BUT that is from 2006 so he may not have mastered that part yet.
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 12:42 PM   #4
boibleu22
Brotherhood of Evil Mutants

I'm assuming these were from the same collector? I remember a seller who offloaded his entire WW sketches on ebay last week.

That would make me more inclined to think they're legit, but like other people are saying, some of these artists are easy to reach. Just ask them.
boibleu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 04:25 PM   #5
SpectatorGuy
Fantastic Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by boibleu22 View Post
I'm assuming these were from the same collector? I remember a seller who offloaded his entire WW sketches on ebay last week.

That would make me more inclined to think they're legit, but like other people are saying, some of these artists are easy to reach. Just ask them.
Yeah this was from some comic shop in Rhode Island who put up like 20 some WW sketches on ebay recently. I assume they got a collector's WW book and sold everything piecemeal.

I'll prob be able to ask the artists in question at NYCC, but I feel like they would be more annoyed than aything. "Oh I got this on ebay, IS IT REAL?" That's probably more in my head than anything.
SpectatorGuy is offline   Reply With Quote