Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Sports

Old 08-22-2007, 01:43 PM   #21
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye View Post
Americans need to realise Soccer is the most watched and most played field sport in the world. The fact that most countries including America play the game enables them to have a world cup every four years unlike the so called world champs of American Football, baseball etc which is only played between American teams on American soil.

Um, ahem, there are Canadian teams in there too, you know. Same goes for Hockey and Basketball. In fact, Canadians have been winning yearly MVP awards in those sports too.

risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 03:51 PM   #22
ANGRYCOMICMAN
Cobra Command

Quote:
I think the Americans prefer high scoring games.
You are probably right, but, I'll repeat myself - " we need a home grown player", or it will always be a back burner sport here.
It's sad that NASCAR is more popular.
ANGRYCOMICMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 07:25 AM   #23
Justin
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by rilynil View Post
That's very true, Bulls. And most Americans are aware of that. But I still believe, among Americans, professional soccer will never come close to the popularity of the NBA, NFL and Major League Baseball. There's nothing wrong with that. We don't have to like cricket and rugby either. :tounge:
Oi! dont go bringing Cricket into this!!

Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 09:59 AM   #24
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANGRYCOMICMAN View Post
You are probably right, but, I'll repeat myself - " we need a home grown player", or it will always be a back burner sport here.
It's sad that NASCAR is more popular.
The problem there though is if America does produce a world class soccer player he will end up playing in Europe anyway as all the greatest players end up there.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 10:12 AM   #25
Justin
Jedi Order

Quote:
The problem there though is if America does produce a world class soccer player he will end up playing in Europe anyway as all the greatest players end up there.
That shouldnt really be a bad thing, It is where the best leagues are!
Old 08-23-2007, 12:14 PM   #26
risingstar
Jedi Order

The issue with North America (as it does include other countries other than the United States) and soccer is that it seems much slower paced than say Hockey or Basketball. Moreover, to some, 1-0 scores may suggest that very little happens in a game.

On a number of occasions, I have tried to sit through soccer matches and was never able to sit through an entire game without being bored out of my skull. It moves way to slowly for me and the excitement shared by fans in the stands over moves that barely had any impact on the game, if at all, didn't do anything for me.

JMO

Old 08-23-2007, 12:28 PM   #27
Justin
Jedi Order

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
The issue with North America (as it does include other countries other than the United States) and soccer is that it seems much slower paced than say Hockey or Basketball. Moreover, to some, 1-0 scores may suggest that very little happens in a game.

On a number of occasions, I have tried to sit through soccer matches and was never able to sit through an entire game without being bored out of my skull. It moves way to slowly for me and the excitement shared by fans in stands over moves that barely had any impact on the game if at all, didn't do anything for me.

JMO

I understand what your saying about thinking the game is slow when you first start watching it. Though I found as I gave it an opportunity and started watching the better leagues around the world I started to get an appreciation for the intricacies of the game. It's an amazing sport when played at the highest level and even though there are games that end up 0-0 there are so many things that can happen during that game to keep you on the edge of your seat. Also don’t forget that I'm from a Country where the #1 sport is just about the most fast paced highest scoring game on the planet (Australian Rules Football or AFL) If we can grow to love soccer anyone can if they give it a chance!
Old 08-23-2007, 01:07 PM   #28
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
I understand what your saying about thinking the game is slow when you first start watching it. Though I found as I gave it an opportunity and started watching the better leagues around the world I started to get an appreciation for the intricacies of the game. It's an amazing sport when played at the highest level and even though there are games that end up 0-0 there are so many things that can happen during that game to keep you on the edge of your seat. Also don’t forget that I'm from a Country where the #1 sport is just about the most fast paced highest scoring game on the planet (Australian Rules Football or AFL) If we can grow to love soccer anyone can if they give it a chance!

I feel the exact same way about Hockey!

Old 08-23-2007, 01:10 PM   #29
rilynil
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

I believe pro hockey's popularity has bottomed out in the U.S. Did anyone see what the television ratings were for the past Stanley Cup Finals? Barely anyone watched. The strike a couple of years ago didn't help things for the NHL.
rilynil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 01:37 PM   #30
JDH
Agent of H.A.M.M.E.R.
Producer

One plus resulting from the US predilection for handsports is that America does tend to produce a disproportionate number of decent goalkeepers.

But much as I wish Becks well, I'm happy for the US to go unenlightened. I really don't want yet another quality team in the world for us to go out in the quarter-finals to.
JDH is offline   Reply With Quote