Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > From our Bench

Old 01-09-2014, 01:13 PM   #31
aliseo85
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Very useful Epang, thanks a lot!
I still do not get at all how to sculpt geometrial elements, as you did on this wolvie jacket, all those perfectly straight lines on his shoulders...in any case, thanks for sharing all this info, if I started sculpting it's mostly because of that.
aliseo85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 01:21 PM   #32
growler321
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

thnx for the updates .
growler321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 06:34 PM   #33
Arcusprime
Shadowhawk

This is so freaking cool! The attention to details and the explanations are kick ass! Thank you Epang!

The leather vest is spot on perfect! This is very inspirational!
Arcusprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 03:09 PM   #34
EPang
A day without sunshine is like... night.

afreeman- thanks I'm glad you're finding it useful.
aliseo85- I'll post an explanation of how i cut my lines for straps and such.
growler321- no probs
Arcusprime- thanks
EPang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 03:48 PM   #35
EPang

ACCESSORIES
This is my process for making straps, buckles or whatever when i use SSFirm. I usually prefer to use milliputty for the detail stuff, but i'm trying to primarily use SuperSculpy for this project. I find it easier to work in stages "layers" when i start the refining process. After the secondary bake, i add clay to the areas where i want the shoulder pads to be, and use an exacto knife to cut the shape i want. I then smooth with turpenoid and bake the shoulder pads with my heat gun. After it has cooled, i draw in with pencil where i want the straps to go. I apply vaseline and clay to that area, then use the exacto knife to cut the shape of the straps. the process then repeats as i add in buckles and other little details. I started adding in the straps to the front of the vest and tried to capture the process. (see below)

1. in this first picture i've added a thin layer of vaseline and roughly blocked in the area where i want a strap to go.
2. When i'm making multiples of the same thing, i like to fully complete one to make sure i like the look before proceeding with the rest. This is ultimately how i want all the straps to look
3. Same as step 1. Add vaseline and roughly block in the shape of the strap with clay.
4. I use exacto knife to cut a nice clean line for one side of the strap.
5. I remove the excess clay from the line i just cut.
6. I use exacto knife to cut a parallel line.
7. i remove the excess clay and use my measuring calipers to double check that the width is the same throughout the strap. I've also finished "cutting" the other strap
8. I've smoothed and baked the straps i made in step 7 and started sculpting the buckles separately. I find it easier to cut away nice clean lines when the straps are already baked. I've also resculpted the flaps to the pouches on the belt. I've quickly blocked in a musette bag that will wrap around the left side.
9. I then take a quick pic of the work i've done to make sure everything still looks good.
If there is anything that i dont like, i'll go back and redo (i.e. i didn't like the original look of the flaps I made for the pouches so carved away the old ones and sculpted new ones)

Hope that all made sense. I also hope the pic is large enough.

E
Old 01-18-2014, 08:27 AM   #36
afreeman
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

Epang, thanks so much for documenting your process, this has helped me a lot and answered a lot of questions I've had!
afreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 01:09 PM   #37
Giobos
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

Epang thx for sharing , very usefull !
Giobos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 09:17 PM   #38
jollyskeleton
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

This is a killer tutorial!!
jollyskeleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 04:53 PM   #39
EPang

Quote:
Originally Posted by afreeman View Post
Epang, thanks so much for documenting your process, this has helped me a lot and answered a lot of questions I've had!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giobos View Post
Epang thx for sharing , very usefull !
Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyskeleton View Post
This is a killer tutorial!!
Thanks, and i'm glad it's helpful.

E
Old 02-28-2014, 05:12 PM   #40
EPang

EPOXY PUTTY

When i started working on the left hand i knew that there would be at least two fingers extended in some fashion. I could have just sculpted these with SSFirm, but they would most likely break at some point if i wasnt careful. When i create any part that is long and thin i usually create some sort of internal support either made of wire or epoxy putty. For the bone claws i used epoxy. If i was working on 1:4 scale or larger i'd use wire, but epoxy works best for me at 1:6-1:5 scale. Creating delicate pieces in epoxy is beneficial when creating molds of your work. There are sculptors out there that are very efficient at using and epoxy putty and can create very detailed parts using the material. I like to create a skeletal structure using epoxy with SSFirm baked over it.
• I quickly mock up a rough hand structure in epoxy putty and wait for it to cure
• I then drill out a spot to insert a magnet so it can attach to the arm
• I apply vaseline to the epoxy hand and start adding a thin layer of SSFirm
• I use reference photos to get the shape of the hand correct and use a heat gun to cure the clay
• It is important to key the hand to the arm otherwise it will just rotate in place
• i used the extended part of the glove to create the key around the wrist
• This way the hand attaches the same way every time
• normally i would create a mold and clean up the part in a finishing material like wax, but i'll most likely just sand and buff out the rough spots