Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Pop Culture Shock

Old 01-05-2019, 10:26 PM   #4531
Joppula
The Horsemen of Apocalypse

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermetroid View Post
As a casual trying to get into SFV, I thought it took way too long to unlock a character. I'm fine with making cosmetics DLC, but in game content shouldn't be so time consuming that it makes you lose interest or have to pay more to get the full experience.
At least you have options now.

Back in the day if you wanted the New characters, you’d have no choice but to go buy the new game or be left behind.

I’m still using my original SFV copy. Three years later.

I understand the intimidation of not owning all of the characters. But deals on season passes come up for pennies on the dollar all the time.

And honestly if you’re new, there is a ton of Fight money to earn.

I’ve had about 2.3 million fight money since inception.
Joppula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 10:31 PM   #4532
StatueDiva
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joppula View Post
1) Defenitly sounds like you had your mind made up, since you determined it was “total crap” after TESTING it at a convention. I guess all of your years of experience hasn’t taught you that you cannot judge something so quickly. Especially a fighter.

2) SFV to this day still has more tournament entrants than ANY other fighter including Tekken and Dragon Ball FighterZ.

So it didn’t kill anything, it’s very much alive. Sorry your local scene burned out. Sounds like that’s on them, not SFV.

3) As far as SF4 reviving the fighting genre, that’s a correct assessment. But that is because 2D fighting games had basically been dormant for like 10 years at the time.

4) It revived all the games, not just Street Fighter. That’s not reflective of how GOOD of a game SF4 is. During the SF4 era many people complained about it.

Mostly people stuck in past generations of SF. Sound familiar?

I really feel there is something special and unique about EACH SF game.

I’ve been playing since SF1 as well. And it’s my opinion that SF5 is an exceptional game.

I guess we’ll agree to disagree.

Disagree on that, FighterZ has had more entrants at some of the biggest tournaments than SFV.

EVO 2018: https://twitter.com/MrWiz/status/1020662865122897923

The biggest issue that FigherZ is running into is the licensing issues that have resulted in cancelled tournaments.

People had gripes with SF4, but not to the extent that SF5 has seen and continues to see.

I'll give it to Capcom that they tried to turn the game around, but it is near impossible to do that with the way they launched it.

Season 3 was very well done. Now they're going backwards with Season 4 (ads, lack of information in regards to future characters, severe reduction of fight money).

Quote:
At least you have options now.

Back in the day if you wanted the New characters, you’d have no choice but to go buy the new game or be left behind.

I’m still using my original SFV copy. Three years later.

I understand the intimidation of not owning all of the characters. But deals on season passes come up for pennies on the dollar all the time.

And honestly if you’re new, there is a ton of Fight money to earn.

I’ve had about 2.3 million fight money since inception.
Since the nerfs to fight money post release of Arcade Edition and Season 4 this is no longer the case. Capcom realized their "mistake" by allowing so much fight money to be gained by vanilla players.
StatueDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 10:54 PM   #4533
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

To each their own, i just feel SF5 dumbed everything down so they didn't have to put effort into balancing the game like Sf4 did and ruined the series.

ill hold out for SF6, maybe they will get back people like Seth to help design and make a fighting game again instead of everyone is a winner fighter.

I think one of the major things that killed SF5 was at the end of SF4s run at all the Tourneys had people give feedback of what they wanted in a game. That was the mistake, people will cry foul on paper but when it comes to the core game they want a challenge, and also those who don't even play much will be the most vocal. They in turned used that info to design sf5, thus killing it.

Simple, make your game, stick to your guns and if its good it will sell and people will play it for years. When you listen to the masses and try to cater to everyone you get a dumbed down game.
Vince-Vell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 11:39 PM   #4534
qz33
Doctor Doom

A friend of mine always complains about Resident Evil.
Never enough bullets. Tank controls suck

Now it's just the shooter everyone tried to make it and of course it sells based on name but doesn't keep people engaged. That's a game that requires no more skill than running and gunning.
qz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 11:41 PM   #4535
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz33 View Post
A friend of mine always complains about Resident Evil.
Never enough bullets. Tank controls suck

Now it's just the shooter everyone tried to make it and of course it sells based on name but doesn't keep people engaged. That's a game that requires no more skill than running and gunning.
Ya i stopped RE after 3, it became Call of Duty then a survival game. I think 2 i must have played non stop till i got almost everything i could out of that game and still to this day ill go back and mess around it in since i saved all the discs, consoles etc.
Old 01-05-2019, 11:47 PM   #4536
Joppula

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatueDiva View Post

Disagree on that, FighterZ has had more entrants at some of the biggest tournaments than SFV.

EVO 2018: https://twitter.com/MrWiz/status/1020662865122897923

The biggest issue that FigherZ is running into is the licensing issues that have resulted in cancelled tournaments.

People had gripes with SF4, but not to the extent that SF5 has seen and continues to see.

I'll give it to Capcom that they tried to turn the game around, but it is near impossible to do that with the way they launched it.

Season 3 was very well done. Now they're going backwards with Season 4 (ads, lack of information in regards to future characters, severe reduction of fight money).

Since the nerfs to fight money post release of Arcade Edition and Season 4 this is no longer the case. Capcom realized their "mistake" by allowing so much fight money to be gained by vanilla players.
1) DBFZ Had more entrants for the brief period when it was brand new. Mind you it released in 2018, SFV is three years old.

And has since eclipsed DragonBall in tournament entrants. Regardless of licensing issues keeping it from some majors.

Tournaments that feature both games, SFV is currently #1.

(I’d like to add that I love DBFZ, amazing game)

2) People’s gripes with SFV largely do not pertain to SFV gameplay, but rather lack of content on launch, (corrected) input delay (corrected) and User Interface issues, also largely corrected.

SF4 was initially bashed for its “easy input shortcuts”, “input buffering”, “comeback mechanics”, “gameplay imbalance”, “damage scaling”.

Vanilla Sagat, Rufus, Ryu. Yikes

And later it was:

“Option selects”, “Vortex”, “Game too slow”, and some character imbalance mostly aimed at Elena and her healing ability.

People complained plenty about SF4. Now that it is the previous generation SF, it’s revered. Not unlike other SF games.

3) Season 4 has not been fully revealed, so it’s definitely too soon to pass judgement on it.

As of now, they’re only guilty of piss poor advertisement in S4.

4) Still tons of FM available in game. Not just weekly challenges.

Old 01-06-2019, 12:00 AM   #4537
Joppula

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince-Vell View Post
To each their own, i just feel SF5 dumbed everything down so they didn't have to put effort into balancing the game like Sf4 did and ruined the series.

ill hold out for SF6, maybe they will get back people like Seth to help design and make a fighting game again instead of everyone is a winner fighter.

I think one of the major things that killed SF5 was at the end of SF4s run at all the Tourneys had people give feedback of what they wanted in a game. That was the mistake, people will cry foul on paper but when it comes to the core game they want a challenge, and also those who don't even play much will be the most vocal. They in turned used that info to design sf5, thus killing it.

Simple, make your game, stick to your guns and if its good it will sell and people will play it for years. When you listen to the masses and try to cater to everyone you get a dumbed down game.
The game is not “killed” or “dead” or “dying” or anything.

It’s only dead to you, and your opinion does not appear to be a well informed one.

You tested it at Comic-Con and deemed it crap.

You have Rose colored SF4 glasses on.

Dead games that get little to no support? Any NRS game older than one year.

Btw, what is dumbed down?

Is using an Airbrush dumbed down painting?

Is using zbrush dumbed down sculpting?

Using power steering dumbed down driving?

How complicated must it be for your enjoyment?

My Chun Li was top 10 in the world in SF4, and I’m having a fine time with the complexity level of Chun Li in SFV.

I’m not trying to be combative, but I really can’t understand what you’re basing such a strong opinion on when you seem to have Zero experience with the game.
Old 01-06-2019, 12:04 AM   #4538
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

Its dead jim!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTdQ7Xx4Q34
Old 01-08-2019, 01:26 AM   #4539
StatueDiva
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Quote:
1) DBFZ Had more entrants for the brief period when it was brand new. Mind you it released in 2018, SFV is three years old.

And has since eclipsed DragonBall in tournament entrants. Regardless of licensing issues keeping it from some majors.

Tournaments that feature both games, SFV is currently #1.

(I’d like to add that I love DBFZ, amazing game)

2) People’s gripes with SFV largely do not pertain to SFV gameplay, but rather lack of content on launch, (corrected) input delay (corrected) and User Interface issues, also largely corrected.

SF4 was initially bashed for its “easy input shortcuts”, “input buffering”, “comeback mechanics”, “gameplay imbalance”, “damage scaling”.

Vanilla Sagat, Rufus, Ryu. Yikes

And later it was:

“Option selects”, “Vortex”, “Game too slow”, and some character imbalance mostly aimed at Elena and her healing ability.

People complained plenty about SF4. Now that it is the previous generation SF, it’s revered. Not unlike other SF games.

3) Season 4 has not been fully revealed, so it’s definitely too soon to pass judgement on it.

As of now, they’re only guilty of piss poor advertisement in S4.

4) Still tons of FM available in game. Not just weekly challenges.

I still don't know where you're sourcing that info as FighterZ has seen both higher viewers and entrants.

But, it's best to digress off of that because the positive thing is that both games have a decent amount of entrants as far as fighting games go.

On gripes with SFV, I would definitely say gameplay is up there on one of the bigger problems. By no means was SF4 a perfect game, but it was a great Street Fighter game.

SF5 as a Street Fighter game, falls short on many aspects of its' gameplay. Something that Vince has been mentioning is that the game has been watered down, which is indeed very true.

- They removed proximity normals from the game.

I don't feel the need to go in-depth on this one, I know why they removed it, but personally I think it was a bad choice.

- The general roster has been made very homogeneous, basically meaning that you will see many players playing characters the same exact way. I can see Nemo, Dogura, or any other Urien online and I feel like it's the same person playing.

There is the great lack of expression in this game. Because they've simplified the game down so far, you don't have that Jyobin Ryu, Daigo Ryu, Dieminion Guile, Momochi Ken or AiAi Juri.

- In terms of execution, it's nowhere near as hard as any previous Street Fighter. There are only a select few characters that I would say have high execution. Those are Chun-Li and Menat, the last is connecting Abigail's B+HP twice.

The rest of the roster is so straightforward that you will learn their most optimal/max damage combos in no time. Unless you're very fresh to fighting games, most of these combos are very easy to perform.

I don't think high damage combos like I'm seeing in SFV should be as easy as they are to perform?

- V. Trigger, V. Skill, V. Reversal

These mechanics are one of the biggest downfalls of this game. One, because it severely limits potential of every character in the roster.

There should be absolutely no reason for moves to be locked behind V. Trigger. It makes no sense that a character like Karin can no longer do her rekkas without popping V. Trigger. That is something that was standard in her SF Alpha appearance.

The other issue is that some character just have outstanding V. Triggers/V. Skill/V. Reversal, while others don't. For the characters that have good ones, it's easier for them to adapt to the meta of SFV, but characters worse off have a harder time.

That system makes zero sense to me and I sincerely hope that is not part of any future Street Fighter game.

- Season 4 starting off with "totally not Evil Ryu, but definitely Evil Ryu" doesn't give me much confidence to be honest.

- Fight money, you say there's tons available, but where? The weekly challenges have been completely nerfed, if you're referring to fight money gained by levels then once that is drained you're not getting much more.

And let's be serious, nobody is going to level up the entire roster to level 50+ for some fight money.

For anybody who recently got into this game, there is little fight money available if they've already done leveling for their characters. You no longer have fight money from the general story. So please do tell where you are pulling this magical fight money from.
StatueDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 05:54 AM   #4540
equi-nox76
Alpha Flight

New SSC video for Street Fighter Collectibles. They made a real good one imo.

equi-nox76 is offline   Reply With Quote