Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 01-04-2018, 11:21 AM   #11
bradjk1
Fantastic Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by adee View Post
Why we need another Joker when so many other Bat rogues need to be made is beyond me.
We don't need another Joker, but Sideshow does. Same with Harley and Ivy. They know what sells and what doesn't. They'll sell thousands of each of these PFs to new collectors as opposed to hundreds of the second-tier rogues. As always, these companies are in it for profit, not to flush out our personal collections. They're doing the same thing with Star Wars and Marvel. Every few years the main characters will be re-booted with new PF's. It's a necessary evil which will hopefully allow Sideshow to make the second and third tier characters in the future. Just buy what you like to enjoy it and don't expect any of this stuff to be worth much in the future.
bradjk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 11:26 AM   #12
adee
Green Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjk1 View Post
We don't need another Joker, but Sideshow does. Same with Harley and Ivy. They know what sells and what doesn't. They'll sell thousands of each of these PFs to new collectors as opposed to hundreds of the second-tier rogues. As always, these companies are in it for profit, not to flush out our personal collections. They're doing the same thing with Marvel. Every few years the main characters will be re-booted with new PF's. Which means in the long-term the value of any of these things will be driven down. Buy what you like for the lover of the character and the statues - that's all that really matters at this point.
The rinse and repeat is getting very old. Kinda makes me not want to buy anything because I know another one is just around the corner. I think getting out of the quarter scale game is my best option. I don't need the same characters over and over in my collection.
adee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 11:29 AM   #13
SONICobra
Bane

Quote:
They making those again before Penguin, Riddler, Scarecrow, Freeze etc? It's gross.
LOL good way of putting it

im suprised they havent tackled two face or scarecrow yet, based off what theyre doing with COTD they seem like a couple characters they could have a lot of fun with. I believe Igo said one of them may be in the works currently though
SONICobra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 11:31 AM   #14
bradjk1
Fantastic Four

Quote:
The rinse and repeat is getting very old. Kinda makes me not want to buy anything because I know another one is just around the corner. I think getting out of the quarter scale game is my best option. I don't need the same characters over and over in my collection.
I think it's become quite clear that us die-hard statue collectors are not Sideshow's core business. They thrive by finding new people to buy the latest Superman, Batman or Joker. They'll throw us a bone now and then with Bane and Killer Croc, but as you can see both of those are still readily available with low edition sizes. There just aren't enough collectors willing to spend $500 on PFs of Penguin, Two Face, Riddler, etc. So unfortunately rinse and repeat is the name of the game at this price point.
bradjk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 11:35 AM   #15
FJC
Midnighter

Quote:
I'm starting to think the same thing. Sell off all of my DC PFs and just jump on the 1/6 Tweeterhead bandwagon. It's almost the exact opposite complaints in their threads. Everyone is clamoring for them to reveal Batman while characters like the Martian Manhunter and Mr. Mxyzptlk are already previewed or up for PO.
FJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 11:36 AM   #16
UTDWalker
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJC View Post
Joker laughing fish story line from back in the 70's. It was a Joker story in Detective Comics (issues 475 and 476) by Steve Engleheart and Marshall Rogers. Which is funny because I'm sure this PF will look nothing like a classic 70's Joker.
Thanks, I'll have to find them and give them a read. I knew some Comic Book Oracle would know the origin. I'm a noob
UTDWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 11:59 AM   #17
FJC
Midnighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTDWalker View Post
Thanks, I'll have to find them and give them a read. I knew some Comic Book Oracle would know the origin. I'm a noob
No worries. It's actually available as a reprint or trade paperback I believe. The original books definitely will be selling at a premium. For many, it's considered one of the best Joker stories ever told. I loved that entire Engleheart and Rogers run. It was groundbreaking stuff when it was released back in the day (in terms of both story and art).
FJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 01:00 PM   #18
built2shred
Phoenix

As someone who never got the original Joker PF I'm curious to see what this one looks like... that said, I can understand the frustration from older collectors who are trying to complete their DC line of statues... but as someone pointed out, SS has done some of the less popular characters and SS is having a hard time trying to get rid of them. Although I do think if SS would of went with say Penguin and Scarecrow or Mr. Freeze instead of Croc and Cheetah they would of sold more.
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 01:10 PM   #19
Divo
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

If revisits is the wave, I would like to see a fully sculpted, 1/4 scale raging Hulk sculpt. Hoping the work would be done by the same guy who sculpted the recent Wolverine. Yeah, I said it, but I still need one.
Divo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 01:17 PM   #20
SONICobra
Bane

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
Although I do think if SS would of went with say Penguin and Scarecrow or Mr. Freeze instead of Croc and Cheetah they would of sold more.
croc would have sold better if they had avoided the neck seam and thought a little less outside the box with the pose and gone with something that shows off his size. i personally really like the pose but it gives a lot of people the impression he is small but if he was standing up he would be as tall as bane

i think most bat villains would sell well due to the fact that its a. batman related and b. most of the characters are so visually interesting
SONICobra is online now   Reply With Quote