Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > News and Updates > Statue Reviews

Old 11-21-2013, 04:33 PM   #1
risingstar
Jedi Order

Kiani statue by Dene Mason - Statue Review

Aspen studios Kiani statue sculpted by Dene Mason, based on designs by Michael Turner.
Cold cast porcelain, mixed media statue - 16 inches tall, limited to 1200 pieces.
Original retail price: $349.95

Click on the bar above the images to view more detailed images.

risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 04:34 PM   #2
risingstar
Jedi Order

Old 11-21-2013, 04:39 PM   #3
risingstar
Jedi Order

Old 11-21-2013, 04:47 PM   #4
risingstar
Jedi Order

Old 11-21-2013, 04:49 PM   #5
risingstar
Jedi Order

Old 11-21-2013, 04:59 PM   #6
Force of Nature
Marshal Law

Congrats with this incredibly beautiful piece and thanks for sharing these amazing pictures; they are nothing short of breathtaking!

Rainer

Nothing can stop The Juggernaut... NOTHING!
Force of Nature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 05:12 PM   #7
risingstar
Jedi Order

Statue Review:

Dene Mason, sculptor of fan favorites like the Magdalena and Soulfire Grace statues sets himself apart from the pack once again with arguably one of the most stunning and intricate comic character sculptures ever produced by any statue company. "Wow" doesn't even begin to describe the awesome display factor of this piece.

Sculpture: While the assembly takes some figuring out at first, once you learn where everything goes, the pieces fit together quite well. The engineers behind this astoundingly ambitious design deserve an extra special hand for bring this piece to life. When you look at something this delicate looking, you can't help but wonder how the piece stays together, but it does. It stays in place. Incidentally, the piece is in Bowen scale.

The splashing water effect is remarkable. It adds wonderful fluidity and movement to the piece. I can probably count on one hand how many other statues took as many risks to capture a moment in time like this. If memory serves, when this piece was first previewed in 2007, the fanbase couldn't wait to order it, myself included among them, and goodness knows, so many of us had no idea who Kiani was at the time.

Paint: Excellent. I've had this displayed for years without any issue with regards to paint chippings, cracks or dullying of color.

Base: While there was a leaning issue at one point for some collectors, Frank M. over at Aspen made sure we were taken care of and equipped us with a new, more durable base. As an aside, I can't think of any statue company who went as far as Aspen to ensure we got what we paid for in the end. Big thumbs up for that.

Accuracy: Now that I know who Kiani is, I can now say that Dene totally hit the bullseye.

The negative: The base was an issue at one time, however, that was taken care of by Aspen. The paint on her hair could have used a bit more finesse but that's just me being picky as this statue comes quite close to perfection.

Grade: 10/10 - A+ rating
Old 11-21-2013, 10:45 PM   #8
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

A perfect 10 without a doubt, to one of the most beautiful statues I have ever seen. This is how bases should be done for dynamic pieces. The base flows so naturally with the statue and its clarity is breathtaking.
JP Sarri is offline   Reply With Quote