Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Gentle Giant

Old 01-12-2014, 12:45 AM   #61
ReplicantSavior
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

I've always leaned towards full sculpt. With the work Gentle Giant is doing I too believe the need for material should stop.

And it's not just the sculpting. It's the paint job they are getting. The detail on the Captain America is impressive. But I will say that once again their whole scanning thing doesn't seem to get the face perfect. Hot Toys facial sculpt for Captain America looks better. At least from what I'm seeing right now.
ReplicantSavior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 01:15 AM   #62
sculptguy
A day without sunshine is like... night.

This is nice, but isn't it a digital scan of an actual person wearing the actual suit (like the Sucker Punch line)? If so, that accounts for the suit folds, creases, etc looking so real---lots harder to sculpt by hand! Nice piece, though.
sculptguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 02:07 AM   #63
jedi_don
The Horsemen of Apocalypse

Quote:
Originally Posted by sculptguy View Post
This is nice, but isn't it a digital scan of an actual person wearing the actual suit (like the Sucker Punch line)? If so, that accounts for the suit folds, creases, etc looking so real---lots harder to sculpt by hand! Nice piece, though.
Only the faces were scanned for the Sucker Punch line. Everything else was digital sculpture.
jedi_don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 09:06 AM   #64
StatueHunter75
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
I don't think it has anything to do with 3DSYSTEMS merge/buyout, but I could be wrong. GG has been ramping up their 1:4 scale product over the past couple years (Sucker Punch, Honey Trap, The Walking Dead) and with the Marvel license they acquired it only made sense to expand their product line.

I do agree it will provide Sideshow with some much needed some competition. Based on my experience with the 1:4 scale Sucker Punch and Honey Trap lines GG can and do deliver on their production pieces. The HT Whisper Variant I own is quite simply the most impressive 1:4 scale piece I've ever seen.
I agree with you 100% about the production and quality of the Honeytrap Whisper SDCC variant statue!
StatueHunter75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 09:56 AM   #65
Klear Knives
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

About time someone starting giving ss some competition. I'm sold on this statue. Looks fantastic. Only wish is a non-battle damaged shield
Klear Knives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 05:50 PM   #66
The Mule
Kindly Asked To Leave

Wait, is this one sculpted or mixed media?
The Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 06:03 PM   #67
Shoo
Hercules

Fully sculpted.
Shoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 06:07 PM   #68
The Mule
Kindly Asked To Leave

Are you serious?
The Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 06:13 PM   #69
Shoo
Hercules

Sure, that's GG's speciality. That's why we're all oooh aaah about that.
Shoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 08:19 PM   #70
ReplicantSavior
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sculptguy View Post
People in the old days sculpted folds and creases in marble just fine. That's why I always thought putting clothes, especially clothes that don't have the detail of real ones on statues, isn't that good if a little lazy.

The reason I like the few Hot Toys that I own is because it's like they are miniature versions of the movie characters. That 1/4 Dark Knight Batman seems like the real thing. So the material doesn't bother me.

On Sideshow's Hughes Lara the material doesn't detract from the statue unlike on the Legends version which I didn't even consider getting. But like I thought originally on the Hughes Lara that fully sculpted would be equal or better. This Gentle Giant Captain America proves that they can get both the sculpted material details and paint at the same high quality level.
ReplicantSavior is offline   Reply With Quote