Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 07-17-2017, 03:19 PM   #481
ParisDean
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazzy View Post
I get diversity and all...but flash a nerdy Indian? Mj a emo black girl? Bet there would be major outrage if there was a white luke cage...Indian falcon....Asian black panther....
This tired argument has never made any sense. Those examples aren't the same at all.
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 04:40 PM   #482
ctuckr68
U talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisDean View Post
This tired argument has never made any sense. Those examples aren't the same at all.
I dont know if id go so far as to say outrage, but lots of people would be put out nonetheless...and it would be exactly the same if non white characters were having their race changed. Critics questioned m knight shyamalan(as they should have) for white washing asian characters in the last air bender. Somehow its irrelevant when it happens to white characters though. Its nothing more than a double standard with regards to race.

I saw this last weekend. The diversity did feel forced in a lot of ways. For the record it didnt bother me though. The only reason it stuck out to me was because of the number of times my knowledge of the original characters contradicted what i was seeing. I probably wouldnt have thought anything of it if i didnt know any better. Generally speaking, I thought the characters worked well no matter who was cast. I agree with some others on the suit and comedy relief aspects got a bit tiresome. The movie in total was pretty good. Id give 8/10.
ctuckr68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 05:16 PM   #483
Spazzy
Hercules

Quote:
Ok
Spazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 05:23 PM   #484
Matches Malone
Bub Mod

Quote:
There is at least one cut scene that portrays May as more than just the "hot Aunt" and someone that could motivate Peter to do the right thing: http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...icle-1.3317614
It's unfortunate that this scene got cut. Looks like they did have designs of a more layered Peter Parker. I would have taken this piece over many others that they left in the film.
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 05:41 PM   #485
ParisDean
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuckr68 View Post
I dont know if id go so far as to say outrage, but lots of people would be put out nonetheless...and it would be exactly the same if non white characters were having their race changed. Critics questioned m knight shyamalan(as they should have) for white washing asian characters in the last air bender. Somehow its irrelevant when it happens to white characters though. Its nothing more than a double standard with regards to race.

I saw this last weekend. The diversity did feel forced in a lot of ways. For the record it didnt bother me though. The only reason it stuck out to me was because of the number of times my knowledge of the original characters contradicted what i was seeing. I probably wouldnt have thought anything of it if i didnt know any better. Generally speaking, I thought the characters worked well no matter who was cast. I agree with some others on the suit and comedy relief aspects got a bit tiresome. The movie in total was pretty good. Id give 8/10.
Making minority characters white does nothing to improve diversity on screen. That's why it isn't the same. I explained this in the FF movie thread which made some people very upset leading to the thread getting heavily edited by moderators. I don't feel like going through all that again so I won't say anymore on the subject.
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 07:53 PM   #486
Spazzy
Hercules

I'm a much bigger fan of mary Jane than any of those others I listed...they had zero chemistry also....maybe if she didn't come off like your typical woe is me teenager like most are coming off lately and how the character is supposed to be... it might have worked....flash has also been around since 1962...before Luke cage...falcon or black panther... Wouldnt consider either a minor character
Spazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 12:22 AM   #487
ctuckr68
U talkin' to me?

Quote:
Making minority characters white does nothing to improve diversity on screen. That's why it isn't the same. I explained this in the FF movie thread which made some people very upset leading to the thread getting heavily edited by moderators. I don't feel like going through all that again so I won't say anymore on the subject.
Diversifying is different matter from whether or not other races would be offended in the same situation. If the majority of characters on screen were african, asian, or hispanic; some would be offended converting them to white people. They'd feel exaclty the same way.

About "diversity on screen"...It is simply an ism. It doesnt define in specific terms whats acceptable. Some people will always feels theres enough, and others always not enough. In other words its subjective as to whats appropriate. Are studios supposed to calculate demographics to cast the perfect balance of people with all their productions? I suppose they could, but this would only be to serve anyone who is perpetually fixated on race. Most people dont care. Their criteria is a good story with good actors. I never watched harlem nights thinking, "gee, i wish quick and sugar ray were a different race for better diversity. That would be nonsense.... Now, is "diversifying on screen" a good thing? Absolutely. Lets not play the minority cards though. Social awareness doesnt just apply to one group of people. Thats called a double standard. Does black panther cast look diversified? What about netflix luke cage? How about Empire? Forget about white folks for a moment. If minority reprentation is the goal then these productions are as guilty as any for not representing asian, hispanic and other minority communites. Yet, for some reason its only the "white" productions getting critiqued or converted for diversity sake.
ctuckr68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 08:11 AM   #488
protector2814
Phoenix

A modern, 2017, Queens, NY High-School was the perfect venue to portray teenage-diversity. I mentioned earlier in this thread that I thought it was very organic. I had no problem w/ the diversity in this movie. The little "slices-of-life" in the high-school were excellent & extremely diverse & representative of today's urban schools. It worked in Homecoming. A good move by Marvel &, imo, a much better approach than just a forced-swap-out.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 09:46 AM   #489
Hanky Panky
Captain Marvel

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post
A modern, 2017, Queens, NY High-School was the perfect venue to portray teenage-diversity. I mentioned earlier in this thread that I thought it was very organic. I had no problem w/ the diversity in this movie. The little "slices-of-life" in the high-school were excellent & extremely diverse & representative of today's urban schools. It worked in Homecoming. A good move by Marvel &, imo, a much better approach than just a forced-swap-out.
Hanky Panky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 09:19 AM   #490
SONICobra
Batman

easily one of the best spidey films, i would put it just behind spiderman 2. i thought his suit was a little too "techy" at times which kind of took me out of who he is as a character (just some kid with awesome powers). i enjoyed the use of iron man, wasnt overbearing like i thought it would be based off all the marketing material
SONICobra is offline   Reply With Quote