Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Sculptor's Pit Stop

Old 02-22-2015, 07:06 AM   #11
rgm501
Death is hereditary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince-Vell View Post
All the guys who have done this and the kits i got from them, always has bubbles in the worst spots, and horrible bubbles at that.

Unless its a basic smooth not super detailed item, i think you can get away with it, but for detailed items i won't take on kits that are no pressure pot.

Nothing sucks more then getting a kit, with a bubble in the figures only to pop off as i prime and sand the flashing cause it wasn't put into a pressure pot.
Vince/John, I've been doing this long enogh dude, trust me you don't NEED a pressure pot.
If you use a two-piece mold, have the right resin (high viscosity) the one I use is almost as thin as water and pre pour you molds properly, it's easy get a bubble free cast.
rgm501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 02:37 PM   #12
SONICobra
Batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgm501 View Post
I'm glad I could help dude, rock on!
I was actually looking for the tread with the pics I posted about pre-pouring, do you know where it was?
http://www.statueforum.com/showthread.php?t=146204

thanks again, I was finally able to mold / cast something I was continuously unsuccessful with
SONICobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 03:33 PM   #13
logan25
Sculptor
Sculptor

I do the same as rgm501, if its a piece with lots of detail i will talc the molds, pour some in the front and back. Once ive put the molds together i will pour more in and lie the mold on the side, leave to cure, repeat for the other side then fill in the centre. most my casts have very little or no airbubbles. It is one of them things where you learn from your mistakes though, just a shame that mistakes can be costly
logan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 05:54 PM   #14
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

Quote:
Vince/John, I've been doing this long enogh dude, trust me you don't NEED a pressure pot.
If you use a two-piece mold, have the right resin (high viscosity) the one I use is almost as thin as water and pre pour you molds properly, it's easy get a bubble free cast.
Well then others are not doing it correctly, cause i won't take on a kit unless i can see in hand pics. Tired of the massive patching and clean up work for those who don't make items correctly.

i use a pot, I'm just learned last year about mold making and resin for items such as the bubble gum clear add on i did for the harley quinn ex head.
Vince-Vell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 11:01 PM   #15
rgm501
Death is hereditary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince-Vell View Post
Well then others are not doing it correctly, cause i won't take on a kit unless i can see in hand pics. Tired of the massive patching and clean up work for those who don't make items correctly.

i use a pot, I'm just learned last year about mold making and resin for items such as the bubble gum clear add on i did for the harley quinn ex head.
Most likely the case.
Don't get me wrong pressure pots are great, I just don't have the room for one. I live in a small apartment.
Old 02-22-2015, 11:03 PM   #16
rgm501
Death is hereditary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONICobra View Post
http://www.statueforum.com/showthread.php?t=146204

thanks again, I was finally able to mold / cast something I was continuously unsuccessful with
Cheers bud!
Old 02-22-2015, 11:04 PM   #17
rgm501
Death is hereditary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMasterTurtle View Post
Typically no it actually stays in tact. I would say the materials I've chosen and lack of a pressure pot have a lot to do with my failures.

Im nervous to invest the money in it because I much prefer the sculpting over the molding but also, perhaps it's something that I still wouldnt have success with and then I have expensive material and a pot sitting there. Its a tough call for me to make financially.
Check out the link in the comment above.
It wasn't intended as a tutorial but it will show you what I mean.
Old 02-23-2015, 09:16 PM   #18
TheMasterTurtle
Frackin!

Lots of reading to do! Thanks everyone
TheMasterTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 11:19 PM   #19
noysan3001
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Quote:
Most likely the case.
Don't get me wrong pressure pots are great, I just don't have the room for one. I live in a small apartment.
I'm using the same technique as you'res man and this is the best way to have a bubble free cast.
I usually pre pour a small amount of resin on each half then use my finger to spread the resin around the mold's every nook and crannys. I'll repeat the proces till I get my desired thickness of resin "skin", close the mold and start pouring my resin.
noysan3001 is offline   Reply With Quote