Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 01-02-2020, 03:13 AM   #71
Peedi
The Secret Six

Some of the characterization is off. But I also think it’s harder to follow without years of following X-Men, not just reading the events or occasional run, and even not following some of the more recent happenings like the last Volume of UXM last year when everybody thought most of the X-Men were dead (they were trapped in that awful Age of X-Man storyline).

X-Men #4 was really good. I’ll see how much I enjoy it on a sending read through later but so far it’s the most enjoyable issue of Hickman’s run for me.
Peedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 08:28 PM   #72
marvelboi77
Spider-Woman #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peedi View Post
Some of the characterization is off. But I also think it’s harder to follow without years of following X-Men, not just reading the events or occasional run, and even not following some of the more recent happenings like the last Volume of UXM last year when everybody thought most of the X-Men were dead (they were trapped in that awful Age of X-Man storyline).

X-Men #4 was really good. I’ll see how much I enjoy it on a sending read through later but so far it’s the most enjoyable issue of Hickman’s run for me.
I only buy the trades, so the storyline you are talking about in Uncanny I think I missed. I bought all the X-Men Blue, Red, Gold, black, Phoenix Resurrection. The trades sites don't let you know what you should read in order, so sometimes I miss out on a few things. But as a whole I think I know what going on in X Men.
marvelboi77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 07:42 PM   #73
ParisDean
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelboi77 View Post
I finished the book and I liked it more then Hickman's Avengers, that was a mess. But this was kind of a mess too. Very confusing with the 3 or 4 constant timelines with those set of characters. I liked a few things in the book, but I didn't care for most of it. Barely any X-Men in it, and the characterization????? Polaris all of a sudden became a cold heartless biatch and starts complaining about humans to Magento....

I really liked the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants part where Destiny was questioning Moira and Pyro torches her.
House of X/Powers of X were always only meant to be world-building series. Once the new status quo was established here, the subsequent individual titles would feature more X-Men and proper characterization I thought.
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 09:17 PM   #74
Peedi
The Secret Six

Not so sure the characterization is proper...while I mostly like what Hickman is doing on a large scale, just like any writer there’s individual characters he doesn’t have a grasp of. I don’t think he’s handled Jean properly at all. His Mr. Sinister is an abomination he insists on. But his Xavier, Magneto, Apocalypse and Cyclops are very good.

marvelboi77 I think parts of Hickman’s Avengers we’re really good and other parts felt needless. His Fantastic Four/Future Foundation was much better although Avengers continued many of the same ideas and themes (that culminated in Secret War). And I look at X-Men similarly.

But typically Hickman lays out a bunch of ideas and then his issues bounce around from idea to idea connecting back to bigger picture. All of his Marvel series have been like that. Avengers was the heaviest, he had like 3 different books on his own lol. If you’re expecting a straight forward series where each issue is a direct continuation of the last, that just isn’t Hickman. X-Men will explore different aspects of his themes issue by issue until he fully develops the ideas first and then brings together the main ideas for the pay off. That’s when you’ll see a cohesive story arc.
Peedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 09:51 PM   #75
ParisDean
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Hickman isn't writing all the individual titles though. So any criticism about him not writing some characters well would be limited to just two books. There's a whole lot of other Dawn of X-Men running around currently. Unless you mean the other writers are getting them wrong too.

I do agree with how Hickman approaches his runs and they read much better when it's all said and done.
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 03:58 PM   #76
Jesica
Kindly Asked To Leave

I like Jonathan Hickman as a writer. I always admire his storylines and unexpected plot twists. It takes real talent to write like that. I would also like to have good writing skills, but all my attempts to write good text have ended in failure. It's a shame that even a simple college essay I could not write without relying on a sample. It's good that on the site https://writinguniverse.com/free-ess...ples/homework/ I could find samples on any topic, in which case the writing task is not so difficult.
Jesica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2023, 10:08 AM   #77
The Dark Knight
Jubilee

I have the Hickman X-Men Omnibus, but i missed the Powers of X / House of X OHC and X of Swords OHC... :/ so i am waiting for a reprint of the OHCs to read them all.
The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2023, 10:24 AM   #78
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peedi View Post

Also, it reminds me of Dan Slott?s explanation in She-Hulk for why characters do out of character things. He undid the whole Juggernaut/She-Hulk thing by explaining characters from a universe with no powers cross over into the 616 universe, and gain the abilities of and impersonate their 616 counterparts for fun, doing strange things before going back to their home universe. Moira can also be used to undo unfavorable parts of history...remember when that character...? Nope! It was in Moira?s past life. Lol.

WTH. That can't be true... lol.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote