Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Painter's Pit Stop

Old 08-12-2007, 11:51 PM   #1
Bartholomew
It's not hard to meet expenses, they're everywhere.

Need help asap!

I screwed up on 2 conversions I was doing. For some reason the paint kept...shall we say beading off.

So I tried stripping it to start all over. I didn't know what to use so I soaked it in a whole bottle of laquer thinner for about 2 hours now. Before that dawn power dissolver, and before that some acetone. Got a lot of stuff off, but the primer doesn't want to come off the parts where I had used aves apoxy.

And most of the pieces look very gunky, and I can't seem to get it smooth again.

What to do?
Bartholomew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 12:10 AM   #2
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

When you say you used Acetone, did you just apply it or submerge the kits into a thick container with the acetone in it?

What i do is get a nice durable container, somthing very thick. Poor the gallon of Acetone into the container and use latex rubber gloves (the stretchy kind) for my hands. ALso wear goggles and let it soak for about a minute. Then get a toothbrush and brush into those grooves. With enough soak and brushing you should get a nice clean kit.

Make sure the pieces you are using are not the white resin that 2fools or jesse has produced. Those will melt. Resin like bowen and moore will be find even if its soaked in acetone for 20min.

Then after that put the kits under cool running water and use some hand soap just to clean it up a bit. I take it a step further and use a drywall foam fine sand paper you can get at home depot. And just sand it in the running water. That clears up some of the dirty paint stains that might be on the kit.
Vince-Vell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 12:10 AM   #3
Bartholomew

sigh, I just want it smooth and ready to paint again.
Old 08-13-2007, 12:13 AM   #4
Bartholomew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince-Vell View Post
When you say you used Acetone, did you just apply it or submerge the kits into a thick container with the acetone in it?

What i do is get a nice durable container, somthing very thick. Poor the gallon of Acetone into the container and use latex rubber gloves (the stretchy kind) for my hands. ALso wear goggles and let it soak for about a minute. Then get a toothbrush and brush into those grooves. With enough soak and brushing you should get a nice clean kit.

Make sure the pieces you are using are not the white resin that 2fools or jesse has produced. Those will melt. Resin like bowen and moore will be find even if its soaked in acetone for 20min.

Then after that put the kits under cool running water and use some hand soap just to clean it up a bit. I take it a step further and use a drywall foam fine sand paper you can get at home depot. And just sand it in the running water. That clears up some of the dirty paint stains that might be on the kit.
I just drizzled some acetone on and wiped it off.

The two kits i'm redoing are a Moore White Queen and a Mary Jane (the one from Diamond Select). Thanks, I've since removed it from the laquer thinner, still a gunky mess with paint stuck on here and there.

I'll try the acetone tomorrow.
Old 08-13-2007, 12:18 AM   #5
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartholomew View Post
I just drizzled some acetone on and wiped it off.

The two kits i'm redoing are a Moore White Queen and a Mary Jane (the one from Diamond Select). Thanks, I've since removed it from the laquer thinner, still a gunky mess with paint stuck on here and there.

I'll try the acetone tomorrow.

Thats why its getting gunky. More or less what you did was melt/water up the paint again, moved it around and it dries up fast then clunks.

So far i have seen Acetone take off allmost all paints. Tis why i stay away from cars when doing it LOL.

Just make sure you dont use a fasy food cup or those red plastic cups. You want to use a nice rubbermade container thats like a half inch thick. Also plastic gloves are a nono, latex is what you want.

Guess i need to make a step by step next time i strip something down wit pics.
Old 08-13-2007, 12:18 AM   #6
Jesse321
Galactus

Quote:
Just for the record, I just soaked my Mon-el and my Isis in pure paint thinner today to remove primer on both of them, and they didn't "melt."
Jesse321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 12:20 AM   #7
Bartholomew

Quote:
Thats why its getting gunky. More or less what you did was melt/water up the paint again, moved it around and it dries up fast then clunks.

So far i have seen Acetone take off allmost all paints. Tis why i stay away from cars when doing it LOL.

Just make sure you dont use a fasy food cup or those red plastic cups. You want to use a nice rubbermade container thats like a half inch thick. Also plastic gloves are a nono, latex is what you want.

Guess i need to make a step by step next time i strip something down wit pics.

Thanks Vince! I'm report to ya how it's going. To think, this all wouldn't have happened if paint hadn't bleed under my tape.
Old 08-13-2007, 12:22 AM   #8
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse321 View Post
Just for the record, I just soaked my Monel and my Isis in pure paint thinner today, and they didn't "melt."
Paint thinner or acetone? I say that cause i tested my WW kit on acetone before i painted her up and didnt like the acetone much.

Plus when i say metled, it makes the resin super soft that can be dug out with your finger nail like doing it to a apple.

just want people to be carefull with acetone.
Old 08-13-2007, 12:24 AM   #9
Bartholomew

Quote:
Paint thinner or acetone? I say that cause i tested my WW kit on acetone before i painted her up and didnt like the acetone much.

Plus when i say metled, it makes the resin super soft that can be dug out with your finger nail like doing it to a apple.

just want people to be carefull with acetone.
u think the diamond select white queen and mary jane would be ok?

I forgot to ask about aves apoxy. Does acetone eat through that and I would have to redo all my apoxy work?
Old 08-13-2007, 12:26 AM   #10
Jesse321
Galactus

Quote:
Paint thinner or acetone? I say that cause i tested my WW kit on acetone before i painted her up and didn't like the acetone much.
Paint thinner

And also for the record, the Wonder Woman wasn't cast by my regular caster. Saul painted my WW, and the caster shipped those pieces out direct (something that I'll never do again) so I never got to see the raw version until I got an extra for a friend of mine. I was just as surprised (and not very happy) as everyone else when I saw the raw version ... my other pieces aren't made of the same kind of resin.
Jesse321 is offline   Reply With Quote