Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 10-19-2006, 09:56 AM   #1
demonhunter
Kingpin

How Did You First Got Into This Hobby?

For me, I started with collecting comic books.

I consider myself an artist but with no formal training, ever since small, I always liked pretty things, pretty pictures....and I just liked to draw and paint.

So, when I was in my teenage years, I got to know Jim Lee through X-Men comic books and was blown away by the drawings. So, I collected those.

Later on, I visited this model kits shop that had all those cool Star Trek statues, StarGate statue and large Kamen Rider statues....they were so cool. But expensive. Plus, I didn't know how to assemble nor paint those pieces. But I always wanted to have a statue then because it was like having a piece of your hero, or favourite robot, or comic character frozen in time or being to view a 3-D artwork.

The one statue that I would always remember was that Bubble Gum Crisis anime statue of Priscilla in her purple pink exosuit. Wow, it was about 18" tall, shiny and futuristic looking.

Years later, McFarlane Toys made toys that didn't look like toys. They could pass of as statues with very strategically hidden joints. I first got its Metal Gear Solid figures. After that, McFarlane Toys made Spawn Series 17, very statue like figures complete with different display bases for each character. I got some of those.

So, all these things finally led me to collect statues. Now, I can afford some bigger and pricier pieces.

How did you or why did you get into this statue collecting hobby?
demonhunter is offline   Reply With Quote