Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > What If?

Old 02-12-2011, 06:24 PM   #1
Nidgit
Love me sexy
Adamantium Plus Member

Question Would you swap $$$ for years off your life

We were having this discussion over dinner with friends and it was a 50 / 50 split.

Would you give up 5 or even 10 years off the end of life for a massive amount of money (say $50 million).

You wouldn't actually know your death date, you'd just know that you would have 10 years less.

Whilst we all acknowledged that 'time' is one of the most precious commodities you have, having that amount of money would mean never having to work again (so for most of us that means five extra days a week to travel the world and do whatever you want to do.

For me, I'd have to say I think I'd take the money

And as one of my friends pointed out last night, quality of life can diminish quite a bit for many people after a certain age, so why not max out the time you have while your young enough to do it all ?
Nidgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 06:49 PM   #2
tedmic
What's another word for Thesaurus?

If I could get 1 MILLION dollars clear (NO TAXES!) for 5 years off my life I would do it in a heartbeat!
tedmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 10:41 PM   #3
VS1976
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

I would take the money too more or less because I am still young and would enjoy it more.
VS1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 11:00 PM   #4
hulksmashph
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

50 Mil in exchange for 5-10 years? I would take the money and really enjoy life while you can! Most people would still live till their 70's or even 80's. Great thread!
hulksmashph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 11:18 PM   #5
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

I've been around people with very large sums of money for most of my life, and most of them don't strive to do as much as those who aren't as financially well off as them, so.. no, I would rather keep my health.

Do I enjoy getting my ass kicked financially sometimes? Obviously not.. but I do enjoy finding ways to cope, or earn my standing in society. My Dad was as wealthy as they come, and he was and is a total @sshole (though he was a high rank in the Navy, and earned his pay).. my mother and two sisters and myself were all teachers, which pays sh!t.. and my voiceover doesn't pay much better until I get an agent, but.. we earn our pay.

This may seem inane, but I grew up in wealth, and my soon-to-be-ex-wife's family are all multi-millionaires, and they vacation/buy sh!t like mofos, and throw money at charities, but don't DO anything productive, so.. no.. I don't want money handed to me on a silver platter. I'll keep those few years of my life. thanks.

Oh.. and her immediate family still works, but they work at a corporation they started. Her mother's brother and his family and her father's brother and his family all have careers of their own, though.

Rant over. Money honestly has the power to corrupt, as I've unfortunately learned recently.
Argonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 11:21 PM   #6
carrillj
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Millions in exchange for spending 10 years less without my wife and kids? No way!
carrillj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 11:22 PM   #7
ratchet
Mandarin

I think I would.
ratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 11:47 PM   #8
hawkeyethearcher
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrillj View Post
Millions in exchange for spending 10 years less without my wife and kids? No way!
way, for me
hawkeyethearcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 11:53 PM   #9
ratchet
Mandarin

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeyethearcher View Post
way, for me
ratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 02:32 AM   #10
VS1976
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

We need a poll!
VS1976 is offline   Reply With Quote