Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > What If?

Old 02-13-2011, 03:58 PM   #21
The Watcher
Loki

"Would you swap $$$ for years off your life?"

A few questions.

1. What if the reverse were true? What if you could pay to extend your life?

2. Could you pay for someone else? Would there be anonymity?

3. Who is the agent for these transactions? The government? Aliens? The Devil?

4. What happens to the money if the recipient dies immediately after receiving it? What are the tax ramifications?
The Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 04:13 PM   #22
MrYac
Hercules

no question, i'd certainly give up 5 years to not have to worry about money with the time i have left
MrYac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 07:05 PM   #23
Batcompu
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

It's a hard question.

Money is nice to buy stuff but some things are more important then money and that is happiness.

Money can help you with that for a short time.

the first weeks you got the money you buy everything you ever wanted but then whats next.

now you work hard for you money and are very happy with your statues because you know there value and how hard you worked for them.
If you just got 100 of even 1000 statues at once because you liked them they don't have a story of your life how you collected it. you just got them.

And have you ever known a person who wanted money instead of family with them on their last breath?

So I say no if if can keep living as I now do healty and with all my friends and family.

If all my family and friends would pass away long before me and I would have a bad health my last 10 years then give me the money so I can give it to persons who don't even have the money to live as a normal person.

for me offcourse I like to get 10 or even 100K but not more then that because I think it will influence who I am today.
Batcompu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 07:24 PM   #24
Nidgit
Love me sexy
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher View Post
A few questions.

1. What if the reverse were true? What if you could pay to extend your life?

2. Could you pay for someone else? Would there be anonymity?

3. Who is the agent for these transactions? The government? Aliens? The Devil?

4. What happens to the money if the recipient dies immediately after receiving it? What are the tax ramifications?
Some well thought out questions

1. In the reverse, no I don't think I'd pay to extend my life, unless it was in the immediate future. Meaning if I was going to die at 45 then I'd pay, if it it was at 75 I don't think I'd bother.

2. If you give up 10 years for 50 million, then you can do want ever you want with it (if that's what you mean). Unless you're asking if you could say, give up 10 years of your ex wife's life for 50 million

3. There's no sinister strings attached, so it's not a deal from Satan, the CIA or The Umbrella Corporation. Let's just say it's a mega-wealthy scientist who has figured out a way to buy your 10 years to prolong his own life.

4. It's tax free and should you die immediately (say you go all Charlie Sheen and have a massive 48 hour party you don't survive), then the money goes to your family.
Nidgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 11:46 AM   #25
Weakling
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

I would not pay to extend my life if I could not be certain it would be in good health. I would not want to get a lot of money in exchange for a shorter life if I did not really need the cash. I would sooner pay money to fix things that went wrong in the past or to change a few things, but if that would make me a happier person today? I doubt it.
Weakling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 11:58 AM   #26
Sinatra VonDoom
It's not hard to meet expenses, they're everywhere.
Adamantium Plus Member

Hell no. The one thing money can't buy is more time, and that's the most valuable thing. It is somewhat interesting in that you wouldn't have to work and that extra 8-10 hours a day would equal more time than you are giving up at the end.

Still, I know what is waiting for me after the big goodbye and no thanks. I don't think anyone is on their deathbed saying I wish I was richer, but I'm sure quite a few are wishing for more time.
Sinatra VonDoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 01:06 PM   #27
Cage
Statueforum Consiglieri

No. I could definitely use a cash infusion right now, but I still wouldn't trade $$ for years. Money is already too powerful. I feel like I would be giving money the ultimate position of power.
Cage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 01:32 PM   #28
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

there is a Twighlight zone episode kind of like this. A guy sells his youth to an old rich guy for his fortune and then goes and buys individual years from other young guys for much less and before he knows it he is rich AND young.

but of course being the Twighlight Zone he manages to screw everything up at the end anyway.

I would take less money if I could give up fewer years. Say 5 million for 1 yr, based on the pro-rata basis of what was offered for 10 yrs I would go for it. But I can't see giving up 10 yrs, that is just too much of a persons life.

My only brother died young in an accident and I would trade years of my life to have him back for a time but I know that would be a whole other question.
TNovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 01:40 PM   #29
Jack8022
Daredevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrillj View Post
Millions in exchange for spending 10 years less without my wife and kids? No way!
My thought exactly.
Jack8022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 01:46 PM   #30
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrillj View Post
Millions in exchange for spending 10 years less without my wife and kids? No way!
Well I think one way to consider this is that all of those years where you are away from them at work for 8 to 10 hrs a day under normal circumstances you would now be able to spend with them doing whatever you want.

I still wouldn't do it either but it is something to consider.
TNovak is offline   Reply With Quote