Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 12-21-2020, 12:45 PM   #11
FETTFAN
The Herculoids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detective27 View Post
That sounds great. Go for you for inquiring. Does this mean you'll get some sort of refund?
I’m going to apply directly to HMRC. Based on their reply I should be able to claim a refund.

In this instance I have been disputing the charges with FedEx who were a total disgrace to deal with. Basically, their customs staff made a suggestion which would break the law.
FETTFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 01:25 PM   #12
Detective27
Brotherhood of Evil Mutants

Great. Hope the refund process goes smoothly and quickly.

Bad FedEx, bad courier.
Detective27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 01:28 PM   #13
Python
Omega Red

You should forward that conversation to Sideshow. It is very much in their interest to help save UK buyers 15% as it means we'll buy more if their stuff....
Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 02:37 PM   #14
FETTFAN
The Herculoids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Python View Post
You should forward that conversation to Sideshow. It is very much in their interest to help save UK buyers 15% as it means we'll buy more if their stuff....
Unfortunately it’s not that straightforward. The problem was that previously Sideshow was allocating the 9703 code to almost everything they were shipping, such as Hot Toys, prop replicas, dolls etc. The 9703 code does not apply to such items. My understanding is HMRC noticed this and informed either sideshow or the shipping companies this was not allowed, depending on who you deal with.

I have already contacted Sideshow several times regarding this issue and they just tell me to contact my customs office.
Old 12-21-2020, 02:39 PM   #15
FETTFAN
The Herculoids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detective27 View Post
Great. Hope the refund process goes smoothly and quickly.

Bad FedEx, bad courier.
Thanks. Just a hassle completing all the HMRC paperwork which could be avoided if the couriers were not as stubborn
Old 12-22-2020, 12:29 PM   #16
Dirt Torpedo
The Thunderbolts

Last few statues I’ve bought I’ve paid no VAT (up yours HMRC) although you need free US shipping for It to work In your favour.
Dirt Torpedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 02:58 AM   #17
WhistlingTime
Birdman

Quote:
Originally Posted by FETTFAN View Post
... I received a reply from HMRC clarifying that commodity code 9703 (5% rate) should have been applied to my purchase from Sideshow. This was determined on the item being a collectible, limited to 350 pieces and made of polystone.
Congrats on a favourable outcome.

I’m still a bit surprised they classified it under 9703. Mostly because I wonder when these things become ‘mass produced’? Would the runs of 5000+ still come under 9703.

In any case, you’ve certainly proved it pays to follow these things up sometimes. Hopefully you don’t have to go through all that each time, though.
WhistlingTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 02:42 PM   #18
New
Doh!

I'm a latecomer to collecting but I anticipate the same issue with a prospective purchase from Sideshow.com

Is it worth me contacting Sideshow prior to making an order and asking them to apply 9703 to a collectible, limited to 400 pieces and also made of polystone? Looking at the wording on their site it seems it may be a waste of time, in which case I would have to fork out 20% and then wait months for HMRC to go over a refund request after challenging any incorrect HS code which would be such a non-existent ball-ache.
New is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 03:35 PM   #19
ukshaun
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by New View Post
I'm a latecomer to collecting but I anticipate the same issue with a prospective purchase from Sideshow.com

Is it worth me contacting Sideshow prior to making an order and asking them to apply 9703 to a collectible, limited to 400 pieces and also made of polystone? Looking at the wording on their site it seems it may be a waste of time, in which case I would have to fork out 20% and then wait months for HMRC to go over a refund request after challenging any incorrect HS code which would be such a non-existent ball-ache.
Try 30%
ukshaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 06:17 PM   #20
New
Doh!

Urgh... I collect animation art which is straightforward at 5%, but this is going to be a pain.

If HMRC agreed that FETTFAN's purchase should have also been subject to 5% that's great, but it sounds like I'll have to fork out for the incorrect HS code then chase HMRC to 1. confirm that the wrong HS code was applied to my shipment and 2. then seek a refund for the excess charge.

If only Sideshow didn't monopolise the exclusive portrait. *cry*

Thank you for the reality check ukshaun, we're getting milked here in the UK! (-_-)
New is offline   Reply With Quote