Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Books, Literature & News

Old 10-08-2012, 11:58 AM   #551
Teague
Iron Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by dccowen View Post
Ready player one was great. Geek nirvana.
I'm liking it, but there's almost TOO much geek stuff in there. The fact that the story quotes Stripes right on page 1 was both good and sort of bad. I think the book definitely leans too heavily on the pop culture--saturation is one thing, but replacing good writing with reference is another.

But again--fun read.
Teague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:05 PM   #552
dccowen
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

I agree. It was never going to be a deep and meaningful read. It's to me, geek pop culture nirvana. The audio book is great. Will Wheaton reading about himself is just fantastic!
dccowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:37 AM   #553
Babytoxie
Ghost

A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle

Saw a graphic novel adaptation in the shop last week and decided to give this one a re-read. The last time I touched this book was probably 30 years ago.
Babytoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:36 AM   #554
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

I'm half way through The Power of the Dog, a crime novel by Don Winslow who also wrote Savages (recently made into a movie). So far this book is an edge of your seat experience.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:40 AM   #555
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

Still going throught the Game of Thrones Song of Ice and Fire and after 5000 pages am now told there is a 5th book in the series of 4 that I need to read to get to the end of this thing....WTF?
TNovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:30 AM   #556
AsOneDead
You got red on you

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
I'm half way through The Power of the Dog, a crime novel by Don Winslow who also wrote Savages (recently made into a movie). So far this book is an edge of your seat experience.
Started that but stopped, probably get back to it some day. Check out The Winter of Frankie Machine if you like his stuff, now that's a great book.
AsOneDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:14 PM   #557
Demona
Martian Manhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNovak View Post
Still going throught the Game of Thrones Song of Ice and Fire and after 5000 pages am now told there is a 5th book in the series of 4 that I need to read to get to the end of this thing....WTF?
That's not even the end! Two more books to come after. 7 beasty books in all.

I paused before picking up A Dance With Dragons to read some other books instead
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:36 PM   #558
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
That's not even the end! Two more books to come after. 7 beasty books in all.

I paused before picking up A Dance With Dragons to read some other books instead
You gotta be sh!ttin' me Pyle!!! The end of book 4 says "another book as big as this one" but it is really 3 more?

I could have gotten a medical degree with less reading. Oh well, no turning back now I guess. Did you get through all 7 and is it worth it?
TNovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:50 PM   #559
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

I'm actually reading the 2012 "What Color is Your Parachute?" book right now, since I'm only tutoring in CA. (instead of teaching, thanks Education cuts) and doing occasional vo work; ie... money never hurts. I gotta say, it's a great book.. been around longer than I've been alive, and it's updated by the authors/readers annually. I've never needed help finding/creating work before, but with the economy (and schools) being what they are in CA. currently, and my divorce kicking my @ss (& motivation) in more ways than one... I figured the book couldn't hurt. It's quite useful, even if you're already employed.
Argonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:20 PM   #560
Demona
Martian Manhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNovak View Post
You gotta be sh!ttin' me Pyle!!! The end of book 4 says "another book as big as this one" but it is really 3 more?

I could have gotten a medical degree with less reading. Oh well, no turning back now I guess. Did you get through all 7 and is it worth it?

No joke, soldier. There are going to be 7 books.

On the plus side, he is a sllllooooowwww writer so only 5 books are out right now. Book 5 is called A Dance With Dragons which is what I'm going to start soon enough.
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote