Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Sculptor's Pit Stop

Old 06-01-2015, 08:21 AM   #1
TheMasterTurtle
Frackin!

Fixing broken statues

Hi there... So I sculpt casually as a hobby but a friend has come to me with a dilemma and wanted to know if I could help or give advise at least.

He loves TMNT, as do I, and had a mishap with 3 of his 4 cold cast playmates turtle statues as well as his sideshow shredder and mouser.

First question - he asked if I could repair. I think I could do some work but may not to do a seamless job because I haven't repaired before. I don't know how to begin fixing cold cast and poly stone. So I suppose does anyone have any good tutorials, material suggestions, etc? Any info on repair would be helpful.

Second question - should he/ I bother to go through the trouble?! As quickly as they broke, he already found and purchased another set of the 4 turtles. Should he just sell them broken as a project for someone at an obvious discount? I'd do the favor and to fix so it wouldn't cost him anything. What would someone rather buy? Broken statues or mildly repaired ones?

Any help and advice concerning the above would be appreciated!
TheMasterTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 11:55 PM   #2
SONICobra
Batman

to the first part of your question repairing statues is usually fairly easy. cliff notes:
- drill holes in each broken piece
- fill both holes mostly full with aves epoxy sculpt
- place a metal pin in one side (will go into the hole in the other piece as well)
- use super glue to attach pieces together
- smooth out seem with more aves pushing into any large cracks
- alloy to set for 24 hours
- sand and paint

check out Vince-Vells youtube channel, I pretty much learned just about everything I know about customizing / repairing statues from him

as to the last part of your question whether or not its worth it is up to you guys. could be worth it just to gain the experience alone
SONICobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 02:02 AM   #3
thecollector80
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

for him, maybe not worth it as he already has a new set. he'll just end up owing you one or something.

For you, it might be an opportunity to gain some experience like with SC said. since you like TMNT you'll probably enjoy fixing it. of course he has to give you the set for free or buy them for a broken price. it's up to you.
thecollector80 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 01:28 AM   #4
Astounding
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

I've repaired many broken statues. Often they arrive after someone has already attempted a repair. It is much harder to do a quality repair after someone has mucked up the connecting surfaces, added excess glue, and marred the paint. I would much rather work with a freshly broken piece. I would think most people who would buy a broken statue would then repair it or have it repaired by someone who knows what they are doing. So if your goal is to sell them, I believe you would be better off selling the broken pieces as they are. However, if you are looking for experience in doing repairs (as thecollector80 mentioned) this does sound like a learning opportunity. It all depends on what your true mission is.

If you decide to do the repair, I would echo SONICobra. He has pretty well laid out the process.
Astounding is offline   Reply With Quote