Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Diamond Select

Old 11-29-2018, 07:03 PM   #351
omigeo
Alpha Flight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Pizza View Post
Unfortunately my closest comic book store is kind of hole in the wall so I'd have to be really lucky to find it there, and then hope it looks good.
poor pizza. Comic book store is kind of ? heheheheh JK
omigeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 07:28 PM   #352
Master Pizza
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Quote:
Originally Posted by omigeo View Post
poor pizza. Comic book store is kind of ? heheheheh JK

As far statues and action figures it's slim pickings. It's Ok for comics so I guess it's technically doing what it should be doing?
Master Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 01:04 PM   #353
JoeWorf
The Herculoids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothamite View Post
Definitely. I buy online only when there's a great deal or when an item is hard to find.
Agreed. Picked mine up at my LCS yesterday and I'm pretty impressed with it. The design is great and all the hand-wringing over the face distortion and what not seems to be a false alarm. I admit she looks like she has a slight overbite from a certain angle, but overall it's a winner. Quite honestly, I like her much more than the Joelle Jones Catwoman. The Cat head base works better for me than the safe with the exaggerated dial and I always felt JJ's head sculpt was a bit balloon-headed, IMHO.
JoeWorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 04:39 PM   #354
spriggan
The Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWorf View Post
Agreed. Picked mine up at my LCS yesterday and I'm pretty impressed with it. The design is great and all the hand-wringing over the face distortion and what not seems to be a false alarm. I admit she looks like she has a slight overbite from a certain angle, but overall it's a winner. Quite honestly, I like her much more than the Joelle Jones Catwoman. The Cat head base works better for me than the safe with the exaggerated dial and I always felt JJ's head sculpt was a bit balloon-headed, IMHO.
Please post some pictures of it. Same with me, I like it more than the Joelle Jones.

How is it in the scale wise compared to other DC gallery or the DC cover girls?
spriggan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 07:23 AM   #355
Master Pizza
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

https://youtu.be/yfLepDA3nME

It's not bad. Not at all. But that is not the face that sold me on this piece. Had the prototype portrait looked that way I might have just had a mild interest in the statue and not been anticipating it since February when I first saw pictures. So note to self, do not get excited for Diamond Select until you see in hand pictures.
Master Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 08:44 PM   #356
Omegaplex
The Herculoids

For $40 these things are a bargain, but it should come as no surprise to anybody that production pieces at this price point don't match up to their prototypes. Prime 1 these ain't.

But for a nicely scaled collection at a rock bottom price, they work really well. Just don't expect them to hold up to close scrutiny, there are severe production limitations at this price point. You'll never look at a Diamond Select piece and think it's the most beautiful thing you've ever seen, they're mass marketable on the cheap. But they're great for what they are, IMO.
Omegaplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 09:08 PM   #357
spriggan
The Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Pizza View Post
https://youtu.be/yfLepDA3nME

It's not bad. Not at all. But that is not the face that sold me on this piece. Had the prototype portrait looked that way I might have just had a mild interest in the statue and not been anticipating it since February when I first saw pictures. So note to self, do not get excited for Diamond Select until you see in hand pictures.
Saw the video, too bad I don't speak the language. I think it is nice for the price. If I am paying a grand for it then I am expecting to look like the prototype or better. But then again, what looks nice to me may not look nice for some people. For the price that DST is asking, I think this line nicely done (mostly).
spriggan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 03:27 AM   #358
Tushar
Hellboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walls View Post
I’m disappointed but I’m not surprised, so far this line hasn’t impressed me at all.
I don't have anything from this line yet, but was planning on getting a few, especially the upcoming Wonder Woman Metal.

Are all of them subpar? Or have there been a few good ones too?
Tushar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 12:20 PM   #359
Omegaplex
The Herculoids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tushar View Post
I don't have anything from this line yet, but was planning on getting a few, especially the upcoming Wonder Woman Metal.

That depends on your definition of subpar. If by subpar you mean not looking exactly like the prototype, then yes, both of them are subpar (only superman and aquaman are out so far, and I have both). If you mean subpar for a $40 1/7-ish scale painted statue, then no, none of them have been subpar. They are $40 10-12" statues, their is no par because nobody else is coming close to this size, at this price point. For what you pay they're a bargain.
Omegaplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 12:48 PM   #360
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omegaplex View Post
only superman and aquaman are out so far
No, six have been released. Please read the OP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tushar View Post
Tushar, I've been posting pictures in this thread.
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote