Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > First4Figures / Gaming Heads

Old 07-22-2014, 05:01 PM   #21
Silas Loki
Jubilee

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionHeart717 View Post
I guess there are just different types of collectors. Some people ask for 100% likeness and accuracy, while others are just happy that they are getting a high quality collectible of their favorite characters. I'm part of the latter group, and can overlook minor flaws. I'd rather enjoy pieces for what they are, than develop a critical eye and scrutinize every statue I see.
Yeah, thanks, your statement is much clearer than mine and echoes my thoughts exactly.

I kinda get it when the statue is supposed to be a portrait of a real person, I can understand people being hyper critical if the portrait isn't 100%......but comic characters or computer generated characters (IMHO) don't deserve such a critical eye. I see this as a physical interpretation of a theoretical character, and is easily recognisable for who she is supposed to represent.

If anyone has read the Dark Horse Mass Effect comics, guess what, you'll see another interpretation of Liara in comic form, she's still recognisable as Liara, but looks different from the computer generated version......given that every version is licensened and endorsed by the I.P. owners, which one is the correct version? Should I mention the Kotobukiya version?
Silas Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 06:12 PM   #22
JSeals
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

EX ordered!
JSeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 10:09 PM   #23
UnicornPegasus
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

I need more money. Can I start selling organs and get this?
UnicornPegasus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 10:19 PM   #24
Wyvern_
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Loki View Post
I personally feel the criticisms aimed at her face are unfounded. I'm a huge ME fan and I think this statue more than fulfills the role as Liara!

Sometimes I get the impression that people will never be satisfied and will always try to find issue with things even when there is none.
Like i said, i look at her and see something a little off, i don't even know what is, but it's there.

But it is something worth commenting, these guys need feedback, be it good or positive.

BUT, i'm completely ok if that is already the final version and i will try to buy it.
Wyvern_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 10:41 PM   #25
CommanderZx2
Hellboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi_don View Post
I'm not that familiar with the character, but after a quick Google images search, I can clearly see what you mean. Most of the images I saw online, she has a stoic face. Not sure if the brow creases like that when she gets angry. Not sure if the character does have an angry face.
Even when she's angry she has a perfectly smooth face. It's like she has a permanent botox, but it works in the context of the game, as she is an alien.
CommanderZx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 12:08 AM   #26
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderZx2 View Post
Even when she's angry she has a perfectly smooth face. It's like she has a permanent botox, but it works in the context of the game, as she is an alien.
Looks like she's being using to much botox

Odds are due to limitations with the program they were using they were probably not able to go from smooth face to a face with ridges on the fly. so everyone ended up with a smooth face.

I think every character in Mass Effect series has perfectly smooth faces regardless of the emotion they were showing.... Ya some have scars which are part of the skin mesh but I don't remember ever seeing the skin wrinkle up when they made different faces, all the emotions were usually shown in the eyes and mouth..

Anyways if your making a realistic version of Liara then the statue is correct having the ridges....

built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 02:59 AM   #27
Silas Loki
Jubilee

Both a computer generated version, and the comic version......complete with forehead muscle definition.
Silas Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 03:15 AM   #28
I and I
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Location: This couple lives in Sint-Maria-Latem (Zwalm - Belgium)
and dark lips I like her, although the power hands could have been better, I consider this the win picture

I and I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 11:33 AM   #29
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Loki View Post

Both a computer generated version, and the comic version......complete with forehead muscle definition.
I'm pretty sure that computer generated picture is CGI and not the in game engine. I've looked through 100's of screen shots and I've yet to see any that showed any ridges in their foreheads.

Anyways I still think it's a great statue and a must buy for any fan...
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 01:29 PM   #30
Sledge Hammer!
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

I think the point some folks are trying to make is that it is the limitation of the original computer graphics that is responsible for the 'smoothness' folks speak of, rather than being a deliberate design choice for the character. Something that seems to be demonstrated by other, more complicated cgi promotional renders, and pieces of more traditional art, which aren't hindered by the same technical limitations that the game was.

Still, no matter what anyone thinks, folks are free to like or not, and order or not, based on whatever personal criteria they may have. There's no right or wrong, there's only "is this worth me spending my money on or not?".

Personally, I was more than happy enough to order, others mileage may vary.
Sledge Hammer! is offline   Reply With Quote