Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 10-16-2019, 06:29 PM   #41
ukshaun
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermetroid View Post
^I'm honestly shocked that magazines are still in business, seems like a lot of waste of paper.
I could be wrong in thinking - i get the impression magazines are a dying breed. Video game magazines are a prime example. They are expensive, and offer too few images compared to what online can offer, and then there's video's and interaction. I guess some magazines continue to hang in there, as people like to collect.

I guess some magazines continue to sell to those that buy out of habit or simply don't like the internet?
ukshaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 09:07 PM   #42
xellos49698
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

As a relatively new collector, I can't really say about reselling because I am very particular about which statues I commit to and will only go for the pieces I love at first sight.

Considering the prices for a some of pieces out there, you have to be 100% sure this is something you want, otherwise your throwing a ton of money down the drain.

Personally, the statues that interest me the least are the ones that have a billion different version of them made by someone or another. I don't think I'll ever buy a Batman, Superman, or Wonder Women statue for myself because it's been done a million times over or any other really popular character like that.

Maybe if it was something really special, I might go for one of them, but I recently bought a small Batman figure for a friend of mine that loves Batman and it's already selling online for half price.

The market is too over saturated with meaningless figures that aren't worth the space they create.
xellos49698 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 07:54 AM   #43
AC_808
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by House View Post
Don't even watch the live segments since Susan left.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLadMSP View Post
Same.
likewise
AC_808 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 10:40 AM   #44
Comicbookguy
Hercules

Comes down to way too much companies making multiple characters, ES way too large, reprints of the same sculpts over and over, prices, shipping, taxes, are going way up each year. Space is limited for many people. Buying a character a collector loves and then seeing a better version come out means selling the first one for a 30-70% loss. All this adds up to a bubble and massive losses to collecting statues. The best option imo is to never order day 1, just buy second hand for 50% off or more. Let the people who can’t wait preorder and take the losses.
Comicbookguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 10:46 AM   #45
Comicbookguy
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valderen View Post
I think SS has moved past the "collectible" aspect of the hobby, and is simply making the ES as high as the market will sustain, and letting the "collectable" aspect to the other smaller companies.

You can't blame them really, if they can sell 3000, why limit themselves to 1000. So that collectors can flip their statue at a profit within months of buying it?

What kind of impact will it have in the long term, not much to be honest...those that in it for the investment will move to different companies, and the rest who just collect for the pleasure of displaying them will keep on buying from them.

The price have increase a huge amount in the last few years and we have a thread about big ES, so it doesn't look like an increase in price had a negative impact in sales, at least not enough to stop increasing price still. Probably more profitable for them to have higher price with slightly lower ES.

For me the ES never mattered, I never bought to resell. The price hike though has me almost out of the hobby. 1 statue only in 2019 compared to 4-6 a year before.
Some buy and don’t flip but do want to sell to get a better version of a character or just wanted to buy something new for the space. So it’s not only flipping when selling a statue. These things will break, cost way too much and shipping is very high. Add on fees most will lose money selling them. Sideshow will eventually reach xm prices because people are paying those prices. They are getting closer each year. I would say 1k-1.5k a normal size pf is around the top average collectors will pay. The big characters 1.8-2k is decent from xm, ss and p1’s sales.
Comicbookguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 11:34 AM   #46
Augen
Metal Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comicbookguy View Post
Comes down to way too much companies making multiple characters, ES way too large, reprints of the same sculpts over and over, prices, shipping, taxes, are going way up each year. Space is limited for many people. Buying a character a collector loves and then seeing a better version come out means selling the first one for a 30-70% loss. All this adds up to a bubble and massive losses to collecting statues. The best option imo is to never order day 1, just buy second hand for 50% off or more. Let the people who can’t wait preorder and take the losses.
If you're willing to take that risk I don't blame anyone. Could find yourself paying 50% more years later for some pieces or just missing out entirely.
Augen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 11:41 AM   #47
moyiori
Statue Forum MacDaddy

It's a good point to never pre order on day 1, and maybe its good that folks don't PO until an actual ES is released, to prevent a higher than usual ES. But don't know how many of us can really show that restraint.

I hope that XM gets SS to up there game, not up there prices significantly, but i guess we can't have both :'(. But often i don't find XM pieces are double the price good, some are definitely worth it, but others are kinda to close to call.
moyiori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 12:02 PM   #48
chronos1919
Nightwing

I get why they make the same characters over and over again. Those are popular characters and there are new people getting into the hobby every year that don't want to have to track down older pieces, or in many cases, the quality has improved. Doesn't help those that already purchased the older ones but that's just how it goes.

The edition sizes, on the other hand, are crazy. When you look at the new PF going up for sale when they still have the old in stock.
chronos1919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 12:06 PM   #49
chronos1919
Nightwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyiori View Post
I hope that XM gets SS to up there game, not up there prices significantly, but i guess we can't have both :'(. But often i don't find XM pieces are double the price good, some are definitely worth it, but others are kinda to close to call.
XM makes some great looking statues, they're just too difficult to acquire in the US without paying an exorbitant shipping cost on top of the already high price.
chronos1919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 01:25 PM   #50
Zombiez
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

75% of customs look terrible and i wish they would go away and there are way too many statue companies.
Zombiez is offline   Reply With Quote