Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > News and Updates > Statue Reviews

Old 06-02-2011, 01:43 PM   #1
dr_teng

Kotobukiya Catwoman Bishoujo statue review

Original review with more/larger pics over here :

Kotobukiya Catwoman Bishoujo statue review

-----------------

My first impression was goddamn did they ever give Catwoman some huge curves, large even for the Bishoujo line! Her suit being zipped down while she’s balancing precariously on a ledge is probably a bad idea for her, but clearly, a great idea for the rest of us. When you remove her from the package, you have the choice of where to place the two cats and what to do with the large part of the whip, it’s made of a very flexible plastic.

The base is somewhat horror themed, being a gargoyle Batman, strange for a line known for it’s sexy and cute statues, but pretty cool nonetheless. They did a great job on the sculpting, though the side of the jawline looks strange, as you’ll see in a later picture. Check out the paint wear on the statue, it’s impressive.

The paint is a vibrant pearlescent black that really stands out. As with the paint jobs on all my other Bishoujo statues, they’ve done a very good job. Consistent colours, no paint rubs, quality detail work. About the only thing I can fault is I believe they used decals for the eyes and that the left eye (viewer right) was applied slightly off from it’s intended position. It’s not even noticeable most of the time, and other Catwoman statues shouldn’t suffer the same problem. Though I’m a little confused why they also used pearlescent paint on the goggles, it seems like those should be flat colours.

The pose is a little puzzling. It’s very cutesy but on an unstable surface, it looks a little strange and shaky. Especially with the right foot going out in that direction. I’m also a little puzzled why she’s nibbling on the whip, yet what looks like another whip also goes around her back? If you look at the front and the back and see how the whips connect, you’ll probably be a little confused as well. It should also be noted Catwoman is one of the newer 1/7th scale Bishoujo statues, as opposed to the old 1/8th scale.

The paint and sculpt issues aren’t terrible by any means, just slightly distracting. The statue still has a great look to it and there’s a lot to love, it’ll just get a lower mark than my other bishoujo reviews to date. On the other hand, it’s available for around $40 and it’s the new larger scale.

4/5.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:31 PM   #2
PureInvasion
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

I just noticed that on the last pic it appears as though shes eating the whip...and yet magically it exits from...?
PureInvasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 05:42 AM   #3
jollyskeleton
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureInvasion View Post
I just noticed that on the last pic it appears as though shes eating the whip...and yet magically it exits from...?
Lol, you're right!
jollyskeleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 11:30 AM   #4
dr_teng

That was actually my bad, I added a bit about that on the actual review once Gonk shot me an email, haha. The other end of the whip is supposed to come out of the other end of her mouth.

That'll teach me not to check the damn box before I take pictures!
Old 09-10-2011, 03:16 PM   #5
PureInvasion
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_teng View Post
That was actually my bad, I added a bit about that on the actual review once Gonk shot me an email, haha. The other end of the whip is supposed to come out of the other end of her mouth.

That'll teach me not to check the damn box before I take pictures!
PureInvasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 04:53 PM   #6
johnclone
The Enchantress

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureInvasion View Post
johnclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 04:59 PM   #7
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

Nice review.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote