Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Bowen Designs

Old 01-18-2021, 05:40 PM   #21
mmk123
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

There were also teases of a museum pose Wonder Man and The Falcon in a flying, action pose
mmk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 06:26 PM   #22
Philintheblank
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
I don't think he would, but he may change just because artist and sculptors evolve. He was making COMIC looking statues. And I am here for it. I don't want or need my statues looking hyper real and like a real human. That's my biggest gripe with Harbottle's Sideshow pieces. I love the bodies and poses, but he clearly takes inspiration from living women for his faces.

I mean...look at his Planet Hulk. Yeah, I don't think he needs to step his game up and I hope he stays with the comic style if he continues with the comic pieces.
Philintheblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 07:54 PM   #23
Mister H
Gen 13

There was a Constrictor statue in the works as well. He was good at making you want C and D list characters. Look at what the Blazing Skull bust is going for on eBay these days.
Mister H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 07:59 PM   #24
FJC
Midnighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraFan View Post
Not to sound mean but he would seriously have to step his game up in today's statue world.
Not really. His old pieces still hold up and sell for good money. On top of that, he hires good talent. The S bros, the K bros, and Erick Sosa are just some of the talent Randy had on his roster. Not to mention, the collectors that buy from him appreciate the comic accurate pieces he releases. I don’t need my Bowen pieces to be hyper realistic. I want them to look like they've been lifted from a comic page. IMO, that's what Randy does best.
FJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 08:06 PM   #25
mmk123
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJC View Post
Not really. His old pieces still hold up and sell for good money. On top of that, he hires good talent. The S bros, the K bros, and Erick Sosa are just some of the talent Randy had on his roster. Not to mention, the collectors that buy from him appreciate the comic accurate pieces he releases. I don’t need my Bowen pieces to be hyper realistic. I want them to look like they've been lifted from a comic page. IMO, that's what Randy does best.
I agree 100%

That was the beauty about a lot of Bowen statues is that they looked like it was a drawing from a comic book panel in 3-D

To me when it comes to comic book statues Randy was the one that created the game and it doesn’t need to be elevated anymore because he is the person that I think other companies and sculptors need to set their bar too and definitely a lot have
mmk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 08:22 PM   #26
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJC View Post

It would be interesting to discover how many of those older fans are still around. Most Millennial collectors have virtually no comic reading history. I'm not sure many of them would line up to buy a Grey Gargoyle or Molecule Man statue no matter how nice it is. It really is a different era of collector today.

Also, the quality of the product has evolved quite a bit from ten years ago. Fans today can be quite brutal if their expectations are not met.

All this to say, hopefully, a nostalgia factor will set in and keep the door open for the return of BD. However, I imagine BD will face more competition for statue dollars and more unforgiving critique than it ever has before. Best of luck.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 08:25 PM   #27
kujwa
Justice League

I look forward to all the new villains that hopefully come our way
kujwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 08:25 PM   #28
Vecchio1
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alshadow View Post
I believe the Thor strike-down statue was one of the last pieces Bowen did back in 2014.
I believe Mojo was the last piece produced.

I'm sure his skills have evolved over the years. The comic book accurate style will be enhanced.
Vecchio1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 09:02 PM   #29
Philintheblank
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
It would be interesting to discover how many of those older fans are still around. Most Millennial collectors have virtually no comic reading history. I'm not sure many of them would line up to buy a Grey Gargoyle or Molecule Man statue no matter how nice it is. It really is a different era of collector today.

Also, the quality of the product has evolved quite a bit from ten years ago. Fans today can be quite brutal if their expectations are not met.

All this to say, hopefully, a nostalgia factor will set in and keep the door open for the return of BD. However, I imagine BD will face more competition for statue dollars and more unforgiving critique than it ever has before. Best of luck.
I don't know...you look at some of the stuff BD put out 5-10 years ago...as good if not better than anything on the market today, in a comparable scale. As far as fans...like FJC said, there's a lot of them and the value on this stuff is holding if not rising. I think there's quite a few of us millenials that are also fans. I don't think he has to rely on nostalgia as long as he can deliver the quality we're used to...and keep the roster of characters somewhat fresh.
Philintheblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 11:46 PM   #30
Demona
Martian Manhunter

The freshness of characters, or at least characters in a slew of outfits, is why I like Bowen. Who cares if he makes 10 Wolverines? You damn well know they will all be different and eventually the one you want will show up.

There is one character I think really needs a revisit and that is Phoenix/Dark Phoenix. While those fetch quite the coin these days, I never loved the pose or the straight repaint. Meanwhile I adore his Jean and Marvel Girl.

I also have hope that he will create a stunning Psylocke. I want an entire new X-ladies lineup for my collection please.
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote