Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 07-01-2013, 03:04 AM   #1
ftrain1
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Wizard NY Pieces

I ended up just buying a one day ticket to Wizard NY, but I was able to get some cool pieces from the con. Carlos Pacheco drew this battle of cosmic heavy hitters, Dark Phoenix vs Parallax:
http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryP...?Piece=1028727
I also had a blank All New X-Men cover concept that I had been planning since I heard what the story was about. For those who haven't read it, the original X-Men are brought to the present from the past by Beast and are shocked by what Cyclops did in AvX. I tweeked the idea by doing a tribute to the cover of Giant X-Men 1 where the original X-Men are looking shocked at the new X-Men team tearing through the page. Instead of having the new X-Men tearing through the page, I wanted the original X-Men looking at the worst incarnations of themselves tearing through the page. Chris Ivy did the layout at Wizard Philly. At Wizard NY, I had JG Jones draw Jean Grey's head and Dark Phoenix. Carlos Pacheco drew Beast's head and Dark Beast. Humberto Ramos drew Iceman's head and Age of Apocalypse Iceman.
http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryp...?piece=1028728
ftrain1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:12 AM   #2
carlito1978
Hellfire Club

That Pacheco piece is great. How was this con?
carlito1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:52 AM   #3
Underdog07
Hercules

At $50+ to get in, I passed

nice pick-ups
Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:26 PM   #4
ftrain1

After seeing Jim Cheung and Mike Deodato both cancel, I decided to gamble and only get a one day pass instead of a weekend pass. There was a lot of talk on several boards and Wizard's Facebook that people were pissed about the pricing and the guest list was small and mediocre, so I figured the crowds would be low. Friday was pretty empty, which helped me be able to hit who I wanted quickly. It also helped that more people were there to see the wrestler CM Punk than comic guests. Since I was able to get a lot done in my one day, it was a good con for me. I would have been disappointed if I had gone for the whole weekend option.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:28 PM   #5
dcd747
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Sounds like you made a good call, ftrain. Those last-minute cancellations can be a killer. Pacheco and Mike McKone both dropped out of Motor City Comic Con fairly last-minute. While it saved me some money (maybe - I probably spent it elsewhere) it was really disappointing. I also think first days are the best option for running around with less of a crowd, if you can manage it. Congrats on your success!
dcd747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:23 PM   #6
rjs1162
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcd747 View Post
Sounds like you made a good call, ftrain. Those last-minute cancellations can be a killer. Pacheco and Mike McKone both dropped out of Motor City Comic Con fairly last-minute. While it saved me some money (maybe - I probably spent it elsewhere) it was really disappointing. I also think first days are the best option for running around with less of a crowd, if you can manage it. Congrats on your success!
I was a little ticked when I heard Mckone and Pacheco were not attending MCCC. Thankfully there were enough others to get me there for the weekend. The price to this con seems extreme to me especially with call off's!

Great Pacheco piece the OP picked up!
rjs1162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:19 PM   #7
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

What was the per day cost for admissions?
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:41 PM   #8
ftrain1

Yeah, I hear you on being disappointed about cancellations. I actually drove all the way to Boston for Boston Comic Con since it wasn't cancelled until around 3:30 because of the bomber and drove all the way back. Completely understandable, but the artists I was most excited for there (Brooks, Pacheco, and Garza) the first time around all aren't listed for the return date in August. So that's disappointing. At Wizard NY, regular tickets were $44.87 for Friday, $59.87 for Saturday, and $49.87 for Sunday. VIP tickets were $59.99 for Friday, $99.99 for Saturday, and $79.99 for Sunday. It was definitely an expensive price for the con considering the small guest list. The one thing is that for any ticket (even one day tickets), you got 2 Neal Adams Walking Dead variants (one color and one black and white). They're doing well on eBay, especially the black and white cover. So you can easily make more than your money back on your ticket if you sell off the variants. Hopefully, if it happens again next year, they'll have a more impressive list and a more reasonable price tag.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:04 PM   #9
rjs1162
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Wow! People were complaining about the prices for the Motor City con, I paid $60 for all three days. Those prices are steep!
rjs1162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:47 AM   #10
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

dang, those prices are kinda high. Is that the normal price for Wizard shows?
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote