Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 05-06-2017, 06:24 PM   #211
Level52
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Hey all! Hanna here.

If you haven't seen it yet, here's a link to a new image of Cat Girl's base in progress.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BTu553mF...evel52_studios

The artist, Gabriel Marquez, came down with a bad flu for a bit (hence the delay), but he's back in fighting shape and making some great progress. Cats should be making an appearance soon!

Level52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 08:01 PM   #212
Guilty
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Level52 View Post
Hey all! Hanna here.

If you haven't seen it yet, here's a link to a new image of Cat Girl's base in progress.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BTu553mF...evel52_studios

The artist, Gabriel Marquez, came down with a bad flu for a bit (hence the delay), but he's back in fighting shape and making some great progress. Cats should be making an appearance soon!

Hey! Thanks for the link!. Looks like Gabriel is back and kicking ass.
Guilty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 08:26 PM   #213
oddlysober
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

It's looking awesome guys and thanks for the update.
oddlysober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 10:48 PM   #214
The13thWarlock
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

I'm not 100% on this... it looks to me like the tree position is different from the Frazetta painting. Im guessing the tree position has been changed to make a better base for the statue. I'm not sure how the cat on the tree will be placed, if it will even be included. I guess I was expecting a bigger, diarama style piece.
The13thWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 12:16 AM   #215
SAB380
The X-Men

Will cats be included with the piece?
SAB380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 12:58 AM   #216
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

Quote:
Originally Posted by The13thWarlock View Post
I'm not 100% on this... it looks to me like the tree position is different from the Frazetta painting. Im guessing the tree position has been changed to make a better base for the statue. I'm not sure how the cat on the tree will be placed, if it will even be included. I guess I was expecting a bigger, diarama style piece.
The painting is a little different. As you can see the painting is "landscape" and to do the tree as in the painting you would either have to just cut it off as if the sculpt was just a portion of the painting or it would just go on for quite a distance for no reason. I think the way they did it is good. I would halso have been fine with jagged edging the left tree about where the cat ends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAB380 View Post
Hanna said in the Monster Palooza video there will be cats and their eyes will also glow. Chris also told me there will be cats
TNovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 01:19 AM   #217
Level52

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAB380 View Post
There will! Gabriel is building up the trees first so the cats can be sculpted to fit their shape. There's one up top and to the left, and one down around her feet with some bones.

She wouldn't be Cat Girl without cats, now would she?

-Hanna
Old 05-07-2017, 01:50 AM   #218
Level52

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNovak View Post
The painting is a little different. As you can see the painting is "landscape" and to do the tree as in the painting you would either have to just cut it off as if the sculpt was just a portion of the painting or it would just go on for quite a distance for no reason. I think the way they did it is good. I would halso have been fine with jagged edging the left tree about where the cat ends.
Thanks for pointing that out!

We went through a few iterations of the base design with Frank Jr., and cutting off the tree looked very unbalanced and unresolved (and ultimately was rejected). We decided as a group that we should maintain the major forms that make the painting's composition so successful in 2D, namely that big circle that surrounds her and the trunk that cuts across and winds around her body. We eliminated the hanging vines, and wrapped the trunk down and around to match the same line instead. Plus, there is an increased risk of sagging or breaking if that branch were floating without substantial support.

Warlock, It would be awesome to do a full diorama sometime, but it would have to be at a smaller scale, as at 1:4 this sculpture would be over three feet wide. She's already close to two feet wide, and we're afraid if she were much bigger she'd be difficult to display or prohibitively expensive. We're trying hard to walk that line between fidelity and affordability so you guys get something beautiful and true without breaking the bank.

-Hanna
Old 05-07-2017, 01:55 AM   #219
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

That's a good point, I was thinking if you went with the jagged edge you would have had to keep the vines and use them a support as in reality only the outside would be vines and the inner would be like a support post. It would look pretty much like what you got anyway.

I agree you have to consider size for sure and I am very happy with the way you went personally.

I know it must be hard. I remember talking to Clay Moore when he did the Conqueror and I was trying to get him to either include some of the warriors around the Conan on a horse or offer them as a separate package to purchase because I always thought it looked weird with his facial expression and contorted horse position unless you added the other warriors for context but he said a tough decision had to be made. For it's time it was a pretty expensive statue for 1/7 scale and he just thought adding the extra guys would make it too big and too expensive so he left them out.
TNovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 07:09 AM   #220
The13thWarlock
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

I certainly wouldn't want it scaled down to 1:6 for some trees... and as crazy as it seems, I never noticed the circle in the middle of Cat Girl! I guess I was looking at something else! And if that's true of the painting, itvwill probably be true of the sculpture too! Looking forward to seeing the cat placement
The13thWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote