Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 08-09-2017, 02:55 AM   #1701
FJC
Midnighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.MAC View Post
I just want a classic Byrne or Lee Magneto PF to love and call my own.
Fixed.
FJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 04:42 AM   #1702
HBK83
The Avengers

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa909 View Post
Agree, XM has not directly done this. But IMO they need a mechanism to move these pieces to EU and North American buyers, and the middle men/grey market resellers are their sales channel.

And in order to achieve sales these resellers need to make money, so IMO XM has to allocate a lot of pieces to them to make it worth their time. That's why all the pieces on XM's website show "Sold Out" but you have a grey market reseller on BST FB groups with 5 She Hulks and 4 Hawkeyes they're bundling with Cable or Venom. The sellout for most pieces is an illusion indirectly facilitated by XM. That's all part of the hype train.

I'm an XM fan, and love plenty of their statues, but the hype is there to make sure the grey market guys make their cut. Hype + the illusion of "sold out" is why you have guys here who paid $2K for Venom and now a few months later you can buy them for $1400. Same with Cable.

BTW I've seen this same exact dynamic collecting luxury watches for 15+ years. Happens all the time on boutique, special editions, limited etc... well it used to before the bubble sorta burst a few years ago LOL!! Same will happen with statues... just my 2 cents, I won't get offended and butt hurt if you don't agree LOL!!
No , it makes sense.
That's what I don't know , if xm is setting it up this way or if the sellers bought stock thinking they can bank on buyers. I always took it as the latter but your right it could be the illusion.
But at the end of the day this is where the community comes in. People need to stop paying ridiculous prices for them. We could have $500 statues across the board if some people could control themselves, but they make rushed decisions to be the first with something then months down the road you see them trying to sell their $2000 statue when the market price is now $1300. Everyone needs to be patient.
HBK83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 04:47 AM   #1703
HBK83
The Avengers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowen or Bust View Post
Holy ----, this thread has turned into another SS vs XM slap fest ... Why are some of you here so insecure !!
Look at it as a pros and cons of each company.
In the end we all want the same outcome.
HBK83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 04:49 AM   #1704
Ryanbusts
Luke Cage

No.
There is a bigger picture.
Ryanbusts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 02:37 PM   #1705
loricstone
Kang

Location: Don't come at me stupid or I'll Sammamish your candy ass!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by aa909 View Post
LMFAO! dude you can't handle any criticism and you don't like being challenged. why do you care so much if folks have a different perspective and don't agree with you? you've got such a weirdo need "to be right", it's not healthy brother. don't let opposing views upset you so much

EDIT: had to add this, it's totally you bro LOL!
Partly true...I do have a sense of humor. But to be clear...I don't get upset...like it affecting my health type of thing. But lol...I must admit minus the woman in the background that is me at times. Believe me, I used to be much worse on this forum. I don't nearly comment as much and with time have refrained from commenting much more than I used to.

Have you noticed how I have not ripped into forps? In the past we would be having WW3 arguments in this forum (up to what the moderators could stomach).

I just hate generalities...because one is insinuating that I am a sheep and tend to follow the masses...WHICH I DON'T. I march to the beat of my own drum so maybe it's just my strong personality trait to lash out with comments that tend to lump everyone together. Hell...I was one of the first collectors to buy XM statues because I liked the style (long before Magneto was shown).

But enough of this...I will not comment any further on this topic. I think you know where I stand on the hype thing. Just remember some of us buy not because of hype but because of what we like. Maybe in the future please be specific...especially if you don't want to hear my mouth through text.
loricstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 02:47 PM   #1706
T.MAC
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanbusts View Post
No.
There is a bigger picture.

Another Skywalker!
T.MAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 03:01 PM   #1707
ChaFoShizzle
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Shame that the Daniel Bel custom absolutely tears this Magneto to shreds. With the resources and capability Sideshow has, I was just expecting more than what was shown. Hopefully the fixes make it a bit more enticing.
ChaFoShizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 03:32 PM   #1708
Mr. Nice Guy
New Republic

I'm going to slightly go sorta off-topic but I think its still kinda on-point re this piece.

With us collectors being a relatively small community its a given that we pay premiums for the pieces we love. However, when many of us got into collecting there was an array of Bowen pieces, which were quite simple, and SS came into the game with more detailed/realistic alternatives at a slight premium. We moved on to something new and it was exciting. Very exciting.

Now, several years later, we continue to buy these pieces and the premiums have gone up. And up. XM was exciting to us because it felt like something new...something like when we saw something incredible in the distance from the Bowens we had on our shelves.

The aftermarket then inflated the perceived value of these pieces despite some basic economic factors that really shouldn't have allowed it to happen:

1. There are thousands and thousands of pieces in circulation, unlike when we first started collecting. Many of us have established collections and there's only so many boba fetts, vaders, spidermen, wolverines, and iron men we can have which should have lowered our purchase frequency.
2. The factories boosted their prices considerably to capitalize on the revenue that went to aftermarket flippers which should have made us more apprehensive to purchase.
3. The edition sizes exponentially increased which should devalue each separate piece.
4. Variants were created which should have broken consumer confidence in their pieces' ability to retain value.
5. Retailers stopped carrying licensed pieces due to their increased costs.
6. Exchange rates went bonkers leading to massive premiums and cross-border duties without increased promotions from the factories to offset. $25 on a $650 statue is weaksauce.

All these things should have a massive negative impact on our buying behavior...but it really doesn't.

And now this is what we get. Uninspired and Expensive. Females and Character Repeats. Vinyl Media and toyish light up features.

Some of the pieces coming out are really beautiful. Don't get me wrong. But I really think there needs to be a recalibration. If this piece comes in anywhere near $650 USD...its our fault for buying and making this collecting hobby market into what it is today.
Mr. Nice Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 03:39 PM   #1709
Iko Iko
The InJustice League

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nice Guy View Post
I'm going to slightly go sorta off-topic but I think its still kinda on-point re this piece.

With us collectors being a relatively small community its a given that we pay premiums for the pieces we love. However, when many of us got into collecting there was an array of Bowen pieces, which were quite simple, and SS came into the game with more detailed/realistic alternatives at a slight premium. We moved on to something new and it was exciting. Very exciting.

Now, several years later, we continue to buy these pieces and the premiums have gone up. And up. XM was exciting to us because it felt like something new...something like when we saw something incredible in the distance from the Bowens we had on our shelves.

The aftermarket then inflated the perceived value of these pieces despite some basic economic factors that really shouldn't have allowed it to happen:

1. There are thousands and thousands of pieces in circulation, unlike when we first started collecting. Many of us have established collections and there's only so many boba fetts, vaders, spidermen, wolverines, and iron men we can have which should have lowered our purchase frequency.
2. The factories boosted their prices considerably to capitalize on the revenue that went to aftermarket flippers which should have made us more apprehensive to purchase.
3. The edition sizes exponentially increased which should devalue each separate piece.
4. Variants were created which should have broken consumer confidence in their pieces' ability to retain value.
5. Retailers stopped carrying licensed pieces due to their increased costs.
6. Exchange rates went bonkers leading to massive premiums and cross-border duties without increased promotions from the factories to offset. $25 on a $650 statue is weaksauce.

All these things should have a massive negative impact on our buying behavior...but it really doesn't.

And now this is what we get. Uninspired and Expensive. Females and Character Repeats. Vinyl Media and toyish light up features.

Some of the pieces coming out are really beautiful. Don't get me wrong. But I really think there needs to be a recalibration. If this piece comes in anywhere near $650 USD...its our fault for buying and making this collecting hobby market into what it is today.
My guess is $700 so let the blame begin
Iko Iko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 03:49 PM   #1710
Mr. Nice Guy
New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iko Iko View Post
My guess is $700 so let the blame begin
I'm guilty too, my friend. I've got Bane coming to me which cost an arm and a leg. I think we're now at a turning point where its starting to jump up another level and we've got to keep our heads on.
Mr. Nice Guy is offline   Reply With Quote