Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 10-08-2017, 03:23 AM   #1821
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlizAbef View Post
It's why they hired Bel. I realize they basically said, "Nah, that's not why we got him." But they did. Mags is a money maker, and so is Bel.
I just don't buy that at all. After seeing the man's sculpts, no way did they decide to hire him based on a single character, no matter how popular that character may be. They hired him because the man has SICK sculpting talent and that talent can be used for so many different projects they likely have planned. IMO, if there was a singular reason behind hiring him, it was because of the HUGE amount of competition in the marketplace these days. This hire is just a SMART move all the way around given just how competitive this market has become, especially in regards to quality. A single character, no matter who that character is, is still just a singular character. This market is WAY bigger than that level of thinking.

Even tho Sideshow has been HIGHLY successful these last few years, its been XM that has come out on top in regards to voting for best statue of the year. I guarantee that Sideshow takes notice of those types of things. IMO, this move is about Sideshow continuing to raise their game to a new level. You want the best statues, you need the best sculptors.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 07:31 AM   #1822
BlackestNight
Sailor Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
I just don't buy that at all. After seeing the man's sculpts, no way did they decide to hire him based on a single character, no matter how popular that character may be. They hired him because the man has SICK sculpting talent and that talent can be used for so many different projects they likely have planned. IMO, if there was a singular reason behind hiring him, it was because of the HUGE amount of competition in the marketplace these days. This hire is just a SMART move all the way around given just how competitive this market has become, especially in regards to quality. A single character, no matter who that character is, is still just a singular character. This market is WAY bigger than that level of thinking.

Even tho Sideshow has been HIGHLY successful these last few years, its been XM that has come out on top in regards to voting for best statue of the year. I guarantee that Sideshow takes notice of those types of things. IMO, this move is about Sideshow continuing to raise their game to a new level. You want the best statues, you need the best sculptors.
BlackestNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 10:26 AM   #1823
FJC
Midnighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post

Hiring Bel was a BRILLIANT move by sideshow. Bel is a game changing sculptor. His work is amazing and anyone with a pair of eyes can see that. Taking him away from XM is just smart. Bel and the K Bros were creating so many of XM's very best sculpts. XM losing Bel has to hurt and sideshow hiring him draws a lot of customers to their brand.

I agree with you totally. Bel was brought on for much bigger things and IMO, a few tweaks aren't going to save this Magneto PF. Those that want a proper Magneto PF will probably have to wait to see if sideshow will give us another one down the line. I'm stuck in the same boat with another character I love as well (Deathstroke). I can only hope sideshow decides to assign Bel or Canale to both Mags and Deathstroke if they ever wish to revisit those characters in classic form.
FJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 10:33 AM   #1824
HBK83
The Avengers

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJC View Post
Hiring Bel was a BRILLIANT move by sideshow. Bel is a game changing sculptor. His work is amazing and anyone with a pair of eyes can see that. Taking him away from XM is just smart. Bel and the K Bros were creating so many of XM's very best sculpts. XM losing Bel has to hurt and sideshow hiring him draws a lot of customers to their brand.

I agree with you totally. Bel was brought on for much bigger things and IMO, a few tweaks aren't going to save this Magneto PF. Those that want a proper Magneto PF will probably have to wait to see if sideshow will give us another one down the line. I'm stuck in the same boat with another character I love as well (Deathstroke). I can only hope sideshow decides to assign Bel or Canale to both Mags and Deathstroke if they ever wish to revisit those characters in classic form.
Bel hopefully will be heavily involved in the rest of the line with xmen seeing his relationship with the community. Getting things accurate and having the connection with the consumers. He doesn't ignore the community. I have a feeling a bel juggernaut will be released from SS in 2018
HBK83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 11:03 AM   #1825
FJC
Midnighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBK83 View Post
Bel hopefully will be heavily involved in the rest of the line with xmen seeing his relationship with the community. Getting things accurate and having the connection with the consumers. He doesn't ignore the community. I have a feeling a bel juggernaut will be released from SS in 2018
I honestly can't wait to add my first Bel statue to my collection. I've been waiting on a classic 1/4 version of various X-MEN for what feels like forever. I'll buy them from any company (Sideshow, Prime 1, or XM). I need a classic Byrne styled Cyclops, green Phoenix (didn't like any of the portraits on XM's), Nightcrawler, Colossus, and Storm. I can only hope sideshow will have Bel working on any of the characters I've mentioned.
Old 10-08-2017, 12:11 PM   #1826
AC_808
Hercules

As long as the costumes closely resemble the classic costumes ...and perhaps just some embellishments ...then I think I'll be ok with that.
AC_808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 12:22 PM   #1827
FJC
Midnighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERICKAT600 View Post
Given what they have done with Mags and Wolverine, any future characters in this line will have costumes inspired by the classics, but they won't be the classic costumes.
I don't mind classic costumes with tweaks if they look good. I just don't want to have unrecognizable/bad looking costumes. Besides, who knows how long this line will last. Sideshow hasn't completed any of their X-MEN lines yet. The sideshow X-MEN line ups are an absolute mess. Astonishing COM line...abandoned, Lee PF line...nothing new for years, classic PF line...random sporadic releases (Hellfire Emma, Dark Phoenix, Storm). If there's one thing sideshow has shown us...it's that they love to start X-lines and not complete them.

The worst part is I have no idea what characters they will release in this new made up line. Why should we start a line when we have no idea what characters may be released? Will we see Colossus, Storm, Cyclops, Nightcrawler, or Phoenix in the line up? Which of those characters I mentioned will be excluded? Which other characters will they add instead? Will we see 3 or 4 releases in this lineup and then sideshow will abandon it and start another? No company I know has screwed with their X-MEN lineups the way sideshow has. They take it to a whole other level.

For me personally, costumes are very important. They let you know what era/lineup to expect and what characters are coming down the line. With sideshow it's a crap shoot though because they NEVER finish what they start when it involves the X-MEN.
Old 10-08-2017, 01:32 PM   #1828
supermetroid
Teen Titans

^Great post! Honestly that's why I'm drawn to XM. They seem to understand that a line should be continuous and go deep into the roster while SS keeps restarting lines in different scales(compare SS's and XM's Spidey and X-men lines). And even SS's best line imo with Batman in it's depth and consistency, they slipped with Deathstroke(I know your thoughts lol) in what were classic inspired costumes/designs with SS's realistic touch. In short, I know if XM starts a line they're doing a lot of characters I want like Omega Red, Mister Sinister, Juggernaut, Scorpion, Lizard etc. instead of SS's 7th Wolverine and 10th Hulk.

SS has seemed to improve in quality lately and their sculpts are great, I just they were just more consistent in the art department.
supermetroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 02:07 PM   #1829
Tbolt
Inconceivable!
Adamantium Member

Ehhhh....that’s not all on SS. Misney put the clamps on XMen for quite awhile. Things are only recently shaking loose. Not to say they couldn’t have done better, but that has had to be a major frustration for producers.
Tbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 03:04 PM   #1830
supermetroid
Teen Titans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbolt View Post
Ehhhh....that’s not all on SS. Misney put the clamps on XMen for quite awhile. Things are only recently shaking loose. Not to say they couldn’t have done better, but that has had to be a major frustration for producers.

Sure, I understand this and the fact that they have so many licenses it's harder to go deep in every line. But the fact remains they've done the Spider-man Comiquette, OG PF, new PF, BiB Com, Black variant PF, Venom Comiquette, Venom PF, Carnage Com, Carnage PF, Green Goblin OG PF and the new PF not to mention the smaller scale Spideys and busts of these same characters. And yes they've done Rhino, Hobgoblin(1/5), and Black Cats' but with a villain roster so deep you'd think we'd have seen a Doc Ock or Lizard or Mysterio by now...
supermetroid is offline   Reply With Quote