Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 01-17-2018, 11:30 AM   #2221
FJC
Midnighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicJesus View Post
I hope this statue pushes the dialogue about prices and over-saturation. I hope people who feel it’s over priced don’t order to send a message. That’s the only way to send the message. We can talk all we want in here, but the strongest message collectors can send is declining to order. Look at Swamp Thing as an example.
I've passed on Thanos, Deadpool, and now this Magneto because of the price. I'm passing on the Captain America and Deathstroke PFs because of the sideshowified modern costumes. I used to love seeing new previews and got excited about upcoming POs. However, because of high pricing, the lack of new characters getting released, and the sideshowified made up costumes....it seems that sideshow doesn't have anything to offer customers like me anymore.
FJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 11:31 AM   #2222
Ryanbusts
Luke Cage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-a-tron View Post
Yes, but most don't go around calling people a-holes for doing their job.
I'm sorry J, but there all just company men/women to me. Just salespeople and spokesmen. It's interesting when you get a sculptor talking about thier work. Imo it's not interesting watching people sell products they most likely can care less about, but you wouldn't know by how great everything is.

Enough praising. What do you think of Mags price in comparison with other current pieces? What do you think the PF to Maquette change? What do you think of not getting complete lines or characters that should have been done by now? Really. I'm just a dude that collects. I don't know if you work for SS but they deserve critism. Especially of the negative kind as of late.
Ryanbusts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 11:32 AM   #2223
Ryanbusts
Luke Cage

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJC View Post
I've passed on Thanos, Deadpool, and now this Magneto because of the price. I'm passing on the Captain America and Deathstroke PFs because of the sideshowified modern costumes. I used to love seeing new previews and got excited about upcoming POs. However, because of high pricing, the lack of new characters getting released, and the sideshowified made up costumes....it seems that sideshow doesn't have anything to offer customers like me anymore.

Plain and simple.
Ryanbusts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 11:37 AM   #2224
NEMISIS PRIME
Brotherhood of Evil Mutants

Location: Y'all crazy as hell paying 5k for doom on throne!!!
Just ordered Wolverine now for mags wonder what the next sentinel piece will be
NEMISIS PRIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 11:42 AM   #2225
Y3E
Gen 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJC View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanbusts View Post
I'm sorry J, but there all just company men/women to me. Just salespeople and spokesmen. It's interesting when you get a sculptor talking about thier work. Imo it's not interesting watching people sell products they most likely can care less about, but you wouldn't know by how great everything is.

Enough praising. What do you think of Mags price in comparison with other current pieces? What do you think the PF to Maquette change? What do you think of not getting complete lines or characters that should have been done by now? Really. I'm just a dude that collects. I don't know if you work for SS but they deserve critism. Especially of the negative kind as of late.
You can't blame SS for "Sideshowified" costumes because a lot of companies do it and sometimes it looks good and sometimes it don't.

BUT, the ridiculous price increases and for reasons that don't make sense is really bothersome. I rarely have issues with QC from these statues or bothered by the price increases, but now, at today's prices and over saturated market, has made me think more so than ever it is time to stop.

I no longer have much joy when I receive these statues.
Y3E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 12:01 PM   #2226
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

Honestly, the blog going up yesterday marked the most disappointed I've ever been in my collecting game thus far. When something you have been looking forward to for 7+ years disappoints you that much, it's time for a change.
NorthernLadMSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 12:07 PM   #2227
FJC
Midnighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y3E View Post
You can't blame SS for "Sideshowified" costumes because a lot of companies do it and sometimes it looks good and sometimes it don't.

BUT, the ridiculous price increases and for reasons that don't make sense is really bothersome. I rarely have issues with QC from these statues or bothered by the price increases, but now, at today's prices and over saturated market, has made me think more so than ever it is time to stop.

I no longer have much joy when I receive these statues.
I do blame sideshow for sideshowified costumes when original classic version of characters haven't been released yet. I bought the classic OG Batman, Superman, WW, GL, Aquaman, Darkseid, Lobo, Joker, Ivy, Catwoman, Bane, and Harley PFs. I spent thousands of dollars on them and at the very least I need a classic Flash and Martian Manhunter to complete the Big 7. If you get to complain about prices and over saturation of the market...why shouldn't classic PF fans be able to voice their frustration over sideshowified costumes? Just because the topic isn't important to you doesn't mean it isn't important to others. Hell, some people have no problem with higher pricing or don't give a damn about how much the market is over saturated so long as their PF looks good on their display shelves. Different strokes for different folks.
Old 01-17-2018, 12:32 PM   #2228
FJC
Midnighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLadMSP View Post
Honestly, the blog going up yesterday marked the most disappointed I've ever been in my collecting game thus far. When something you have been looking forward to for 7+ years disappoints you that much, it's time for a change.
Agreed. I have never bought unlicensed statues. I know it costs a lot for sideshow (and other companies) to pay for licensing fees so I've always been patient and waited for a licensed version of a character I want to get released. That's going to have to change.

Look at the position collectors in North America are in. Sideshow owns the exclusive rights to release 1/4 scale Marvel and DC statues in North America. No one else can sell those characters here in 1/4 scale except sideshow. I've spent thousands of dollars on classic PFs from sideshow only to find out future PFs will be released in sideshowified costumes. I'm 2 classic PFs away from completing the Big 7. I don't want or need a sideshowified Flash or Martian Manhunter PF but if sideshow won't release a classic version of them....who can? No one because of their exclusive rights. So, if a classic collectors like me can't get what they want from sideshow and can't buy from other companies because sideshow basically owns North America....what other options do we have? From this point forward, I can't count on sideshow to give me what I want so I'm going to fully support unlicensed products going forward. I'm kicking myself now for not jumping in on the Bel classic Magneto when I had the chance. To think I was waiting on sideshow to take care of me for that character. Well, that won't happen anymore from this point on. If a great looking 1/4 unlicensed classic Cap, Flash, Martian Manhunter, and Deathstroke (or any other classic character I want) pop up, I'm all in.
Old 01-17-2018, 12:34 PM   #2229
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanbusts View Post

Uh yeah, they work for Sideshow, of course they're company men and women. Sideshow live isn't a raddtitan video, it's company promotion.

Would you as a company employee go on your companies facebook during a live video and talk trash about their products? of course not, not if you like your job.

Of course they care about the products, most of them put a lot into designing these items.

If you designed something and thought, man, I did a great job and then went on a website that discusses like products and saw 30 people trashing your design, how would you feel? Would you want to consistently talk to those people? Hell no. People on this forum take all the work and artistry that goes into designing and making these items completely for granted. They think they're crapped out without any skill half the time, or at least it seems so by the conversations.

This is why I post in the sections less and less, because it's just mind boggling that people who love something so much know so little about it gets made and what it takes to actually make it. I don't work for Sideshow and I honestly care very little for their upper management, but people Like Igo, the Sculpting staff, the paint staff, the mold and cast team etc etc have my utmost respect.

As for pricing, it is what it is. That decision isn't made by the design and support staff. Does it suck that the prices are going up and up? Yes, but that's not Igo or Susan's fault.

As for the change from Premium Format to Maquette, I honestly don't care what a statue is called. The name makes very little difference to me. Tweeterhead calls some statues Maquettes, some Statues...doesn't matter. As long as the sculpt is good.
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 12:34 PM   #2230
WolverineFan
I am da law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
I feel less and less remorse about paying XM shipping charges given the pricing hikes SS is pulling these days. The XM Storm was worth every penny before, but even more now when she is literally LESS than this Magneto.
Are you saying that you paid less for XM Storm including the shipping price estimated than Magneto? Because if so, point me in the right direction lol!
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote