Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 05-06-2021, 10:47 PM   #81
Bubsy
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryTonge View Post
Why is this an issue for collectors? Plastic allows for the same high polish finish that you see on the original fiberglass cast helmet from the films. As long as the sculpt is of high fidelity, I don't see how it impacts the overall quality of the piece.
So your definition of “high-quality sculpt” doesn’t factor in the materials used to build the statue? Then why collect resin statues at all? Not sure why you’re bringing up that the film props were fiberglass. I don’t think we’re buying props here. Is Vader’s helmet supposed to be fiberglass in-story? Plastic statues should then be priced at plastic figure prices if SSC wants to go down the Hot Toys route.
Bubsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 10:53 PM   #82
Ravager
The Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubsy View Post
So your definition of “high-quality sculpt” doesn’t factor in the materials used to build the statue? Then why collect resin statues at all? Plastic statues should then be priced at plastic figure prices.
I agree, when I get a statue and it is just plastic, I wonder why I shouldn’t just purchase an articulating model or action figure instead, since that is essentially what a plastic statue with fabric overlay is. Except that the statue has the added disadvantage or being unable to pose.

For that price you could easily purchase a detailed 1/4 scale Hot Toys figure and have multiple switch out parts, posability, and in many cases light up functions.

The reason I like statues is they are made of polystone.
Ravager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 08:44 AM   #83
GaryTonge
Kingpin

Quote:
So your definition of “high-quality sculpt” doesn’t factor in the materials used to build the statue? Then why collect resin statues at all? Not sure why you’re bringing up that the film props were fiberglass. I don’t think we’re buying props here. Is Vader’s helmet supposed to be fiberglass in-story? Plastic statues should then be priced at plastic figure prices if SSC wants to go down the Hot Toys route.
No it doesn't.

I don't collect "resin" statues. I collect statues. My vote goes to whatever material pulls of the effect used in the film the best, hence my reference to fiberglass moulds.

People somehow equate weight with quality, when in the end, all that matters is the aesthetics when it's sitting on your shelf.

What is the difference in cost between "plastic" and resin(another type of plastic) anyway?
GaryTonge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 09:46 AM   #84
Bubsy

The difference is what the “market” is willing to pay for it based on what it is. The more plastic (or PVC since you’re starting to split hairs) something is, definitionally, the less of a statue it is. Statues have weight. I think it’s exceedingly obvious Hot Toys’ sculpts are head and shoulders better than the vast majority of resins based on likeness for just about every character they produce. Captain Obvious observation: it’s easier and cheaper to sculpt with plastic. Does it confound you why people buy statues at all and are willing to pay more despite a hit on likeness?
Old 05-07-2021, 10:39 AM   #85
Vpuik
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryTonge View Post
No it doesn't.

I don't collect "resin" statues. I collect statues. My vote goes to whatever material pulls of the effect used in the film the best, hence my reference to fiberglass moulds.

People somehow equate weight with quality, when in the end, all that matters is the aesthetics when it's sitting on your shelf.

What is the difference in cost between "plastic" and resin(another type of plastic) anyway?

This right here...

This is why I don't buy XM pieces. They're made of Cold cast porcelain which is a cheap material made of Cornstarch and glue..

"What is cold cast porcelain? Cold porcelain is an inexpensive, non-toxic, easy-to-work-with material. Despite its name, it is not porcelain; its main components are cornstarch and white glue, but can also include small amounts of oils and glycerol, which promote a porcelain-like, smooth texture. "
Vpuik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 10:42 AM   #86
GaryTonge
Kingpin

Quote:
The difference is what the “market” is willing to pay for it based on what it is. The more plastic (or PVC since you’re starting to split hairs) something is, definitionally, the less of a statue it is. That's not a thing. Statues have weight. I think it’s exceedingly obvious Hot Toys’ sculpts are head and shoulders better than the vast majority of resins based on likeness for just about every character they produce. Captain Obvious observation: it’s easier and cheaper to sculpt with plastic. Does it confound you why people buy statues at all and are willing to pay more despite a hit on likeness?
I personally don't know any collectors who feel this way. You're saying that if you had the option between buying a statue with two portraits, one being plastic and a better sculpt vs resin and a poorer sculpt, you'd go with resin? lol
Old 05-07-2021, 10:47 AM   #87
Black Cat
Thunderstrike

I wouldn't call anything PVC a statue. I have a lot of Koto things and almost consider them figures.
Black Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 10:50 AM   #88
Bubsy

That’s a strawman argument. Where did I mention the imaginary scenario you just presented? Is it impossible to create a good headsculpt of Vader without using PVC? Even Gentle Giant, whose awful at head sculpts (although mostly for face sculpts), had a good Vader head sculpt for its 1:8 Kneeling Vader. Surely, SSC can manage.

Re: XM Studios, Hoth Luke is easily 5x better than any SSC Star Wars PF in recent memory.
Old 05-07-2021, 10:54 AM   #89
GaryTonge
Kingpin

Quote:
That’s a strawman argument. Where did I mention the imaginary scenario you just presented? Is it impossible to create a good headsculpt of Vader without using PVC? Even Gentle Giant, whose awful at head sculpts (although mostly for face sculpts), had a good Vader head sculpt for its 1:8 Kneeling Vader. Surely, SSC can manage.

Re: XM Studios, Hoth Luke is easily 5x better than any SSC Star Wars PF in recent memory.
Good for you buddy!
Old 05-07-2021, 11:25 AM   #90
Mister H
Gen 13

I'll mark this down as a small possibility.
Mister H is offline   Reply With Quote