Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Action Figures / Toys / Trading Cards

Old 02-04-2006, 10:14 PM   #1
rolleypolley18
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Dale Keown - Thing Pinup

Hey guys, I was thinking about getting this piece by legendary Hulk artist Dale Keown from a private collector..do you think I should? What do you guys think of it?
rolleypolley18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 10:56 PM   #2
CompEng1
Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change

I don't know anything about this piece but the art looks great.
CompEng1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 11:36 PM   #3
Thing
Sinister Six

I think i should get it and add it to my collection...
Thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 04:33 AM   #4
Mr. X
U talkin' to me?

Get it!

I think it looks awesome.
Mr. X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 08:23 PM   #5
Neomotion
I pity the fool!

His head look very small on picture no. 2. Still, great art.
Neomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 04:34 PM   #6
Gladiator 27
Frackin!

I guess the real question would be are the pieces to you worth what the owner is asking for the two? If the answer is "yes," then I'd go for it. They're great drawings by a fantastic artist, but on the flipside, they're not inked pages from an actual comicbook either. They're basically pinups and should be priced accordingly. Depending on their size, if the collector's not asking more than say $100 to $150 for each and they are both on the standard comic page size bristol board....then I'd get em' in a heart beat.
Gladiator 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 05:07 PM   #7
Sniper
Objectivo Bastardo

I really like those, not much of a FF fan but those art pieces are exceptional!
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 05:11 PM   #8
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladiator 27
I guess the real question would be are the pieces to you worth what the owner is asking for the two? If the answer is "yes," then I'd go for it. They're great drawings by a fantastic artist, but on the flipside, they're not inked pages from an actual comicbook either. They're basically pinups and should be priced accordingly. Depending on their size, if the collector's not asking more than say $100 to $150 for each and they are both on the standard comic page size bristol board....then I'd get em' in a heart beat.

I've seen character pieces go for much than that.

In fact, barely complete, line art drawn characters by the likes of Bolland, Hughes, Romita Sr, Wrightson, and N. Adams to name a few, can go for hundreds of dollars.

I wish they were that cheap too!

risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 12:11 PM   #9
Gladiator 27
Frackin!

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar
I've seen character pieces go for much than that.

In fact, barely complete, line art drawn characters by the likes of Bolland, Hughes, Romita Sr, Wrightson, and N. Adams to name a few, can go for hundreds of dollars.

I wish they were that cheap too!

I hear ya'.

Certain artist, such as the likes of a Romita Sr., Wrightson, and Neal Adams would fetch a higher premium...mainly because their work is much more sought after than the likes of a Dale Keown (that's not knocking Keown, it's just a fact.) Neal Adams, IMHO, charges crazy amounts for his sketches on his website, nevermind an actual comic page from one of his classic comics that he did.

The other thing that will make one piece more expensive than another is whether the artist did a drawing of one of his staple characters that he's known for. For example, a Romita Sr. drawing of Spiderman will command a much higher premium than say a Romita Sr. drawing of a B-rate character would fetch.

Keown, mainly remembered and associated with his character Pitt and Marvel's Hulk, will probably get more for a pinup sketch of Hulk than he will for The Thing or some other character not especially associated with him.

All that being said, it comes down to how much someone's willing to pay for a particular drawing. I've got a cool pencil and ink drawing of a band of barbarians done by the late John Buscema, and I picked it up in 2001 for a mere $40 bucks. I got lucky.

Personally, I think the Thing drawings are exceptional, especially the first one where he's throwing a punch. I'd get em' if the price were right.
Gladiator 27 is offline   Reply With Quote