Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Sports

Old 12-17-2009, 11:11 PM   #861
batman1180
Captain Marvel

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappahead View Post
I'm late to this one. I never play these, but being a big Marino fan, I could've defended his honor LOL. The REAL numbers don't lie
How many Super Bowl rings did he have again? I can't remember.
batman1180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 11:16 PM   #862
Mad4Busts
Husband-Father-Collector

Honestly if you watched NFL during any one of Joe's Super Bowl win years, did you ever doubt he would find a way to win?

He was the Jordan of the NFL in his day.
Mad4Busts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 01:14 AM   #863
ickwinzs
The Rock
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
I'm late to this one. I never play these, but being a big Marino fan, I could've defended his honor LOL. The REAL numbers don't lie
Then you could have joined him and his side on another losing effort!!!
Old 12-18-2009, 02:10 AM   #864
VinReaper
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Location: Out of my mind! Be back in 5 minutes! (+12517 to the Post Count)
Cool OUTTA HERE ALERT!!!

Dan Marino is OUTTA HERE!!!!

Sorry Dan! It was a tough decision!

VR
VinReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 02:51 AM   #865
snappahead
Producer
Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman1180 View Post
How many Super Bowl rings did he have again? I can't remember.
The ol' Super Bowl trick eh? If that was the only criteria for the greatest QB, then Joe wouldn't have won either. Other quarterbacks out there have more rings. It's an over used argument that's more about the team rather than the individual. Dan's #'s speak for themselves.
snappahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 02:52 AM   #866
snappahead
Producer
Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ickwinzs View Post
Then you could have joined him and his side on another losing effort!!!
I'd gladly be on Dan's team
Old 12-18-2009, 03:09 AM   #867
batman1180
Captain Marvel

Quote:
The ol' Super Bowl trick eh? If that was the only criteria for the greatest QB, then Joe wouldn't have won either. Other quarterbacks out there have more rings. It's an over used argument that's more about the team rather than the individual. Dan's #'s speak for themselves.
Oh, Dan is no doubt one of the greats, I wouldn't take that away from him...he just isn't on Joe Montana's level. Close, but not quite there.
batman1180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 04:30 AM   #868
snappahead
Producer
Producer

Dan Marino 61,361 passing yards and 420 TDs

Joe Montana 40,551 passing yards and 273 TDs

I look at the whole picture. Consider their teams. Joe had a fantastic team for most of his career while Dan usually had a mediocre team at best (with one or two season exceptions)and still managed to break virtually every passing record there is..and this was a QB that could barely move LOL. Joe was an amazing QB...no doubt but a QB regardless of ability doesn't win games by themselves.

I can't argue that Joe doesn't deserve to win or anything...I just wouldn't give it to him hehe.
Old 12-18-2009, 11:15 AM   #869
IronLungs31

Down 75 to 10 and when it got down to the last two. He had made a total comeback within three days!

Way too go Joe!
Old 12-18-2009, 04:27 PM   #870
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

I posted this or something similar many pages ago, but as to who is the best NFL QB of all time it is probably the most subjective arguement in all of sports.

I am 44 years old and remember the entire careers of both men very well, and go back to Bradshaw, Stabler, et al and personally I wouldn't include Joe Montana in my top 5.

First, if you are going to base it on championships there is really no arguement against Otto Graham. Otto played pro football for 10 years, played for the championship in all ten years and won 7. Otto's career record? An astonishing 105-17-4. Here is his ESPN obit from a few years ago

http://espn.go.com/classic/obit/s/20...7/1688946.html

But Otto was before our time. If you only want to consider Superbowls (and not previous NFL championships) on what basis would you rate Montana over Bradshaw? Montana played against inferior teams in every Superbowl he played (was a significant favorite in each) Bradshaw faced a hall of famer on the other side in 3 of his 4 superbowls (Tarkenton and Staubach twice). The year before Bradshaw arrived the Steelers went 1-13. In his 14 yr career Bradshaw's Steelers won 8 division championships and 4 Superbowls.

Joe Montana played in probably the worst division in the NFL for almost his entire career. The other teams while Joe were there were terrible. and yeah, Joe won 3 Superbowl MVP's but the first one he was 14 for 22 for a whopping 157 yds and one TD (he did also rush for one). Not exactly a huge performance. Whipping Elways Broncos 55-10 is another matter but the SF defense was also outstanding.

Joe's career statistics are pedestrian to say the least. He only threw for 30 TD's or more once in his entire career. He threw 20 TD's or less in 10 of his 16 years. He was as fragile as a little girl, often injured. To be fair, Bradshaws TD totals were low compared to modern times too BUT very high when compared to other quarterbacks of his era and under the rules they played, which were different than those in the 80's.

He benefited from Walshe's innovative "West Coast Offense" that was new and difficult to defend. His passes were typically short and high percentage. One year his leading reciever in terms of receptions was Tom Rathman.

Joe was also blessed with all pros and hall of famers up and down both sides of the ball. Outstanding support players on offense and great defenses.

If you put Marino or Elway as QB of those teams they likely would have won 10 straight superbowls. Certainly they would have won more than four, IMO.
TNovak is online now   Reply With Quote