Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 08-18-2016, 11:03 AM   #181
Babytoxie
Ghost

I'd forgotten about those earlier stories - good stuff!
Babytoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 03:28 PM   #182
Babytoxie
Ghost

I just found these January 2017 solicits for reprint editions from Devil's Due/1First. I've never heard of The Black Flame, but the images I've found online look pretty cool... does anyone remember it?

http://www.newsarama.com/31638-devil...citations.html
Old 03-13-2017, 07:49 PM   #183
protector2814
Phoenix

I'm currently rereading a lot of Michael Moorcock's Eternal Champion books & am now on the last of his Dorian Hawkmoon series. They're good, but imo, the weakest of his connected saga. So, I pulled his First Comics, Jewel In The Skull 4-parter hat I honestly haven't revisited ever & it's quite a good Sword 'n Sorcery comic interpretation. Published by 1st back in 1986, the comic is a very faithful adaptation of the 1st book. Apparently, & I'm not sure how I missed it, The Jewel in the Skull was followed up by a 4-part version of the next book, The Mad God's Amulet, which I'm now on the hunt for. Adapted by Gerry Conway with beautiful art by Rafael Kavanan, Jewel is a great Moorcock comic; well worth seeking out if you're a fan.

protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 01:05 PM   #184
Babytoxie
Ghost

Titan Comics is currently reprinting adaptations of Michael Moorcock's Eternal Champion novels, and they recently released the first volume of Corum - a 12-issue series published by First Comics in the mid-'80s. The four issues collected in this first volume are by Mike Baron and Mike Mignola. This was Mignola's first major work outside of Marvel, and it gives a good indication of where his style was headed in later years. It's great to read this again, and I'm looking forward to the two following volumes. There will also be a reprint of Howard Chaykin's Erekose graphic novel, as well as the Hawkmoon series mentioned in Protector's post.

https://www.cbr.com/the-chronicles-o...ght-of-swords/

Old 02-19-2018, 02:55 PM   #185
protector2814
Phoenix

Thanks for the point-out BT. I may use these Titan collections to fill in some holes.

Anyone out there ever hear of Dagar The Invincible? I see Darkhorse has collected 2 trades worth & was wondering if they're worth picking up?

Old 02-19-2018, 06:44 PM   #186
Babytoxie
Ghost

Jesse Santos illustrated those, so the art is awesome by default, and the painted covers are beautiful. I don't recall the quality of the writing, but with those other positives, it's probably not too important.
Old 02-19-2018, 08:52 PM   #187
protector2814
Phoenix

You're right. I'll be buying them.

Hey, I just re-read your post & I had no idea there ever was a Howard Chaykin's Erekose graphic novel!!! I must have this.

This is it originally, right? (wow, I've never even heard of this, but .... this isn't an Erekose title that I can recall)

Old 02-19-2018, 09:32 PM   #188
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babytoxie View Post
Jesse Santos illustrated those, so the art is awesome by default, and the painted covers are beautiful. I don't recall the quality of the writing, but with those other positives, it's probably not too important.
For me, bad writing can kill a story regardless of thus art, and great writing can win a story over poor art. Hush, for me, is an example of the former while Going Sane is an example of the latter.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 12:19 AM   #189
Babytoxie
Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post
You're right. I'll be buying them.

Hey, I just re-read your post & I had no idea there ever was a Howard Chaykin's Erekose graphic novel!!! I must have this.

This is it originally, right? (wow, I've never even heard of this, but .... this isn't an Erekose title that I can recall-the-flowers-of-hell.]
Yes, that’s the one, and you are correct: it’s not Erekose. In fact, this page mentions Urlik of Skarsol, John Daker, and Clen (?)...

http://bronzeageofblogs.blogspot.com...-hell.html?m=1
Old 02-20-2018, 12:27 AM   #190
Babytoxie
Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
For me, bad writing can kill a story regardless of thus art, and great writing can win a story over poor art. Hush, for me, is an example of the former while Going Sane is an example of the latter.
Agreed, but when it comes to the Filipino comic artists of the 1970s, I can’t help myself.