Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > XM Studios

Old 06-27-2015, 02:49 PM   #331
Spidey976
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorpoll View Post
I dont think they were flaunting like you suggest just happy to be getting high quality statues from someone and hoping others could step up and compete.
I am sorry vor my comment wasn't meant to encompass the entire XM fan base. However, if I was to go back about 2 years and look at XM they were doing fine with getting licenses and starting their business. Flash forward about 5 months after that and a group of guys started marching around the forums, especially over at the Freaks board, touting XM as the second coming and BOOM XM gets blocked out of the DC License. Fast forward another year and ST is now an established gateway for XM fans and EVERYONE is talking in various SSC and XM threads about how they are using them and BOOM the legitimate license holder who is a GIANT in the industry stands up for itself. I have called every single problem XM has had, and I have even warned guys this could happen. From here on in it is time for all the bashing and inside baseball crap to stop. Get your pieces and enjoy them. Hell, post up amazing pics. However, you got it from you Uncle Bob in Singapore, and for the love of GOD stop poking the bear in the name of XM. You are not helping them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by traylorc View Post
I'm sorry...I am confused about your comment. Perhaps I am not understanding your point?

I am unclear how Sideshow is hurting themselves. Sideshow is the legitimate 1/4 scale license holder for the sale of Marvel products within the US.

XM's has admitted publicly their licensing agreement does not allow them to sell products directly to US distributors and or retailers. Additionally, they are not allowed to sell to overseas distributors who are willingly selling to US customers. Either one of the aforementioned scenarios violates XM's licensing agreement. That licensing agreement, was established to protect the revenue generating capabilities of Sideshow as well as other companies...who are legitimate Marvel 1/4 scale US/Domestic license holders.

If Sideshow is one of the companies complaining that XM is violating their licensing agreement...then how are they "hurting themselves"? If you owned a business that paid licensing fees allowing you to sell your products in the US...you would be upset if a competitor whose existing agreement precludes them from selling products in your territory were willing and knowingly violating their existing licensing agreement.
If SSC is standing up for the licensing agreement thy don't have much choice. If you know it is being end run you have to speak up, and it won't hurt them in the slightest. I just wish this wasn't happening to XM. They are a good group of guys. Things just got to loud and to out in the open.
Spidey976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 02:55 PM   #332
yeek
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

The reason I like XM is the same reason I've been souring on SS. Lower the ES and have better QC. I don't care about price, as it seems to be with most ppl bc they're buying XM products. I absolutely hate thousands and thousands of mass produced stuff. That's my take.

This whole thing with independent stores not being able to sell to anywhere in the world, if true, is just rotten.
yeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 03:59 PM   #333
The Mule
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by traylorc View Post
Additionally, they are not allowed to sell to overseas distributors who are willingly selling to US customers.
This is the weak spot in the whole reasoning, tho.
Because it's the first time ever I read about this clausole, and XM's licensing rights have been debated a lot in the last year. None of their official retailers seem to know about the fact they're not allowed to sell to US customers, either, which is quite puzzling.
That's not how it usually works, btw. Licensing restrictions are about XM's direct (website) sales, not their retailers. It's always been like that, just look at Bowen being restricted to NA and Sideshow distributing their statues all over the world (oh, the irony).
If this is a clausole in their licensing agreement, it's something new and definitely wasn't there when they started.
The Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 04:11 PM   #334
Spidey976

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mule View Post
Because it's the first time ever I read about this clausole, and XM's licensing rights have been debated a lot in the last year. None of their official retailers seem to know about the fact they're not allowed to sell to US customers, either, which is quite puzzling.
That's not how it usually works, btw. Licensing restrictions are about XM's direct (website) sales, not their retailers. It's always been like that, just look at Bowen being restricted to NA and Sideshow distributing their statues all over the world (oh, the irony).
If this is a clausole in their licensing agreement, it's something new and definitely wasn't there when they started.
Keep in mind XMs Marvwl license is/has run out and they have or are renegotiating it. So the rules may be changing.
Old 06-27-2015, 04:17 PM   #335
The Mule
Kindly Asked To Leave

That's surely a possibility, does someone know when their license is expected to expire?
But even then, it would be extremely suspicious if this clausole applied retroactively to orders already placed. Things just don't add up.
The Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 04:20 PM   #336
Restinpieces
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey976 View Post
I have called every single problem XM has had, and I have even warned guys this could happen. From here on in it is time for all the bashing and inside baseball crap to stop. Get your pieces and enjoy them. Hell, post up amazing pics. However, you got it from you Uncle Bob in Singapore, and for the love of GOD stop poking the bear in the name of XM. You are not helping them.
So tired of reading your diatribes.

People will express themselves as they wish regardless of how many times you spew your regurgitated rhetoric, you just need to accept it. Just as we all accept you as someone who clearly loves nothing more than stirring the pot, fanning flames of rumors and gossip while trying to play both sides like you're the good guy ambassador of both SSC and XM companies.

Bottom line: if you truly want to support a company like XM and see it succeed like you've claimed a thousand times over, then buy their products. As it stands you own zero XM products. End of story.
Restinpieces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 05:20 PM   #337
traylorc
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mule View Post
Mule...I think you make some good points. But IMHO I think there are few things we all need to keep in perspective regarding this debate.

The large majority of forum members (including myself) have absolutely no idea regarding the specific language of XM's licensing agreement with Marvel. In my mind, the amount of time spent debating this topic in the forums over the past year is a moot point. Let's be honest, many of the discussions have been based primarily on hearsay and speculative information regarding the specifics of XM's licensing agreement.

Don't get wrong, there is no crime in debating the merits, problems, issues, etc of XM's licensing agreement. However, we all need to have some perspective. We all need to understand that many of us are not debating these points from a position of strength. How can anyone effectively debate the specifics of a licensing agreement they have not personally read or reviewed?

Regarding your point on the licensing arrangements between Bowen and Sideshow. We may need to consider that current licensing agreements may be more prohibitive or restrictive of the licensees actions & rights than what occurred in the days of Bowen and Sideshow.

We may also consider there may have always been language in XM's licensing agreement that placed a greater burden XM to ensure their retailers and/or distributors are selling their products only within the pre-determined sales territories. Maybe XM wasn't worried about this language in the beginning, but their growing popularity has now made this an issue that must now be addressed. Or maybe you were right Mule...perhaps there has been a subsequent amendment of the original agreement that now contains more restrictive languages regarding XM's retailers. Pure speculation on my part...

That is the problem with not having the ability to review the licensing agreement...we have no idea regarding the specifics of any restrictive language present in the agreement.
traylorc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 05:22 PM   #338
wolf-brother
Captain Marvel

All this if, may and probably speculating makes my head spin.
wolf-brother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 05:53 PM   #339
madmanny
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Uncle bob is great
madmanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 06:25 PM   #340
Spidey976

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmanny View Post
Uncle bob is great
Uncle Bob is a Kingly man. I am stunned at how many people have an Uncle Bob in Singapore.