Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 01-08-2011, 05:44 PM   #1
06gto
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

Artist's Proof Editions

Could someone tell me what is the difference between an artist's proof edition and a non-artist's proof edtion ?
06gto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 06:20 PM   #2
jedi_don
The Horsemen of Apocalypse

Probably no difference. And the AP definition changes by company.

There are several types to consider. Paint master, artist proof and production. I'll skip the production definition as that is obvious.

A paint master is usually a one of kind hand painted prototype painted by a professional artist to give the factory an example to paint from.

Artist proofs are usually sample factory products sent to the producer to get their production OK. The term I believe comes from lithograph as a printing proof to get the artist's approval prior print a batch to ensure color and print accuracy. APs usually didn't have a serial and just marked "AP". Since these were early production samples, these were originally not available to the public for purchase.

You have to check with the company to see what their definition of AP is. With companies like ARH Studios, they use the AP term as hand-built and painted samples made by ARH studios versus the production ones made in China. For other companies, AP is just another smaller set of serial numbers of initial production units made in China. Hard to say if they are any better in quality than regular production units.

If you are asking about Hard Hero, I believe they are just initial production units with marked "AP" with a smaller set of serial numbers. Perhaps a Hard Hero collector can add to this???
jedi_don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 06:47 PM   #3
06gto

Yes, thank you. I was looking at the Hard Hero Daredevil and I noticed there was an AP version and a non AP version.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:12 PM   #4
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Typically APs sell for more than non-APs. Don't know why as they rarely look any different than the production versions of a statue.

IMO, some collectors feel it is more impressive to own an AP or that it will tend to hold it's resale value. I think most seasoned collectors don't worry about APs nor low numbers.
Old 01-08-2011, 09:09 PM   #5
06gto

Thanks for the info.
Old 01-08-2011, 09:25 PM   #6
ratchet
Mandarin

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
Typically APs sell for more than non-APs. Don't know why as they rarely look any different than the production versions of a statue.

IMO, some collectors feel it is more impressive to own an AP or that it will tend to hold it's resale value. I think most seasoned collectors don't worry about APs nor low numbers.
Yup
ratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:42 AM   #7
oogahonk
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Yeah, I have to agree with nbr3 as far as value. Another scenario I've noticed is that multiple figures have been pulled at various points during the manufacturing process for inspection and the"AP" is simply thrown on either before or after the number. It's still part of the run, just kind of a spot check for quality.
oogahonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:27 PM   #8
d rod
Xtreme Sports Master
Administrator

As of late, an AP is exactly the same as a regular edition. Only difference is on the base that it calls it an AP. If the edition is an AP, a #1 or #345, it does not mean it was produced in that order. Pieces are manufactured, placed on a table and then numbered (AP, #42....).
This holds true unless the manufacturer states any variant production such as paint scheme, head change and so on with a specific AP run compared to the original run.
d rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 05:23 PM   #9
cstojano
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

This whole issue with AP confused me as well when i got into statue collecting. It seems APs are just runs within a run, like negative numbers before you get to piece # 1. As far as I know many are not functional APs, and honestly the makers probably know that A TRUE AP would not have much value in the statue market, that is a piece with shoddy paint job, errors, etc. In other words, a prototype of the final product.

As for numbers, I would say there are two matters that really matter: # 1 and # 2 - XXXX.
cstojano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 05:35 PM   #10
ratchet
Mandarin

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstojano View Post
This whole issue with AP confused me as well when i got into statue collecting. It seems APs are just runs within a run, like negative numbers before you get to piece # 1. As far as I know many are not functional APs, and honestly the makers probably know that A TRUE AP would not have much value in the statue market, that is a piece with shoddy paint job, errors, etc. In other words, a prototype of the final product.

As for numbers, I would say there are two matters that really matter: # 1 and # 2 - XXXX.
But even funnier is that #1 isn't the first painted or the first off the production line - it's simply the one they numbered first - it's literally the luck of the draw! It's no more special than #1000 - except it's the one that got picked to be numbered first.
ratchet is offline   Reply With Quote