Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Books, Literature & News

Old 08-05-2012, 01:31 PM   #1
Spideristic
The Thunderbolts

Curiosity rover to land on Mars today

7 Minutes of Terror: Curiosity Rover's Risky Mars Landing | Video - YouTube
12 hours until NASA's Curiosity rover lands on Mars while we face the 7 Minutes of Terror. I keep watching this incredible sequence of landing video. Its success will be another of mankind's greatest achievement in science and technology, along with better understanding of the red planet and its sustainability for life. This mission will also pave way for more breakthroughs in innovations and research leading to a manned mission to Mars in the future. I will be celebrating the touchdown moment by eating some Mars bar .
Spideristic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 01:41 PM   #2
Tetragrammaton
The Flash

One day soon I hope to be reading a thread about a manned landing. Way overdue IMO.
Tetragrammaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 02:19 PM   #3
CessnaDriver
Suicide Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetragrammaton View Post
One day soon I hope to be reading a thread about a manned landing. Way overdue IMO.
Your are not alone in that.
CessnaDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 02:42 PM   #4
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

I honestly believe all of the worlds countries should align themselves together to get this done. It would make it more feasible.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 02:44 PM   #5
CessnaDriver
Suicide Squad

The following is the essay written by Clara Ma, winner of the Mars Science Laboratory naming contest. Twelve-year-old Ma submitted the winning entry, "Curiosity."

Clara Ma, winner of the Mars Science Laboratory naming contest.

"Curiosity is an everlasting flame that burns in everyone's mind. It makes me get out of bed in the morning and wonder what surprises life will throw at me that day. Curiosity is such a powerful force. Without it, we wouldn't be who we are today. When I was younger, I wondered, 'Why is the sky blue?', 'Why do the stars twinkle?', 'Why am I me?', and I still do. I had so many questions, and America is the place where I want to find my answers. Curiosity is the passion that drives us through our everyday lives. We have become explorers and scientists with our need to ask questions and to wonder. Sure, there are many risks and dangers, but despite that, we still continue to wonder and dream and create and hope. We have discovered so much about the world, but still so little. We will never know everything there is to know, but with our burning curiosity, we have learned so much."
CessnaDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 02:53 PM   #6
Spideristic
The Thunderbolts

Great essay with the fitting title. Thanks for sharing that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye View Post
I honestly believe all of the worlds countries should align themselves together to get this done. It would make it more feasible.
That's the plan.

NASA chief: U.S. won't go it alone on manned Mars mission
Old 08-05-2012, 05:11 PM   #7
Spideristic
The Thunderbolts

NASA - NASA TV
I am enjoying the Q & A session with the NASA Team.

One of the audience members before asking his question about the Curiosity cameras, joked and hoped that NASA will release a Mars cologne based on the various samples collected. Not a bad idea, but I think someone else will end up releasing it instead and will have the Mars connection in name only.

Nice detailed model of the rover on display there. Still will consider the smaller Hot Wheels model when it gets released.

Old 08-05-2012, 05:35 PM   #8
lord odin
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Anything that gets us closer to green space chicks i'm behind.
lord odin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 01:08 AM   #9
Spideristic
The Thunderbolts

http://www.ustream.tv/nasajpl
Live stream

"MarsCuriosity: Pass the Peanuts! Everyone's eating peanuts, right? They're an @NASAJPL good-luck tradition since Ranger 7 in 1964 #MSL "

I am getting some peanuts now.
Old 08-06-2012, 01:23 AM   #10
Spideristic
The Thunderbolts

RT @travisbeacham: As I type, a cosmic blink after our species lit the first campfire, a robot we built is minutes from landing itself on another planet.

RT @devincf: I can be cynical about humanity, but the idea that we, as a species, can accomplish this purely for science, not profit, is so moving.