Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Infinity Studios / Gantaku / Queen Studios

Old 05-30-2021, 01:00 PM   #401
Vader
Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegatronG1 View Post
Moral of the story, attachment to worldly things is probably a bad idea in the long run. I'll take a cheap poster over something 4x pricier than a statue and 40x more fragile. Less worries are priceless.
You're on the wrong board then. lol
Vader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 06:14 PM   #402
Vader
Ghost

doesn't look that much like arnold though. the queen studios one. it looks ike the enterbay figure. they must have used that as reference.
Old 05-30-2021, 06:33 PM   #403
The World
Justice League

The comparison is bias because even it shows the Queen Studios bust in a better lighting and camera condition.
The World is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 07:30 PM   #404
Phoenixblazes
Crime Syndicate

I’ve always thought the Queen Studios bust was great, but in the long discussion above it seems to be referring more so to the quality of the materials used and the paint workmanship more so than the accuracy or resemblance itself.

I’ve got a few Queen Studio busts, and even though none are ‘human’ the paint could’ve been better. But then I have no idea on the in hand quality of custom silicone pieces. I usually ignore custom pieces as the quality has always been lacklustre to me, but that has more to do with the more conventional polystone/resin statues which I guess are more mass produced than made to order Silicones painted by people who know what they’re doing.
Phoenixblazes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 07:49 PM   #405
Vader
Ghost

Show us pics of what you got billy curly
Old 05-30-2021, 10:03 PM   #406
superdude
The X-Men

Sigh, do you guys really have to do this in here? Some of us are actually really excited for this Alita bust. Lol
superdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 10:09 PM   #407
Brandon
The X-Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vader View Post
Show us pics of what you got billy curly
Seconded. I think 10k-20k for just a bust is insane, and I'm genuinely curious to see the leap in quality/workmanship that justifies it over a cheaper, but still exceptional looking bust from IS or QS. You could get full body 1:1 for that price range.
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 10:35 PM   #408
Phoenixblazes
Crime Syndicate

I’ve never seen one of the custom silicones, but even with the ones I’ve received from Queen Studios I can see room for improvement. I’ve got a couple (Hulk & Thanos) and both had issues that were a tad irritating, but I still love having the pieces in my collection.

Issues such as indents/lines on the silicone, slight paint issues, crack/peel in the silicone (on the inner corner on the bottom lip so not terrible), glue residue on the glass eyes and casting issues on the polystone parts. Note that most of these aren’t noticeable unless you’re looking inches from the piece.
Phoenixblazes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 11:06 PM   #409
pdenham
Teen Titans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
Seconded. I think 10k-20k for just a bust is insane, and I'm genuinely curious to see the leap in quality/workmanship that justifies it over a cheaper, but still exceptional looking bust from IS or QS. You could get full body 1:1 for that price range.
I've never seen any of these things up close, but Jordu Schell's Tarkin is the first time I ever saw a hyper realistic silicone bust. Blew my tiny little mind.

He's offering made to order for all these @ $10K each + shipping. Haven't seen any testimonials though, and when it comes to an artist doing reproductions of his own work, no two are ever going to be exactly the same. Each iteration may excel, or be deficient, in different areas.

He also has this disclaimer on the order pages
Quote:
All products are made to order. Processing time is 8-10 weeks.
Final product colors may appear slightly different via website due to handmade nature of product, computer picture resolution and monitor settings.
And this is the problem with the kind of back and forth I see with BillyCurly and others here.
An individual sample may be all they say it is, and in comparison to another individual sample may be noticeably more refined.

The problem is that comparison only applies to those exact two samples. The next custom by the same artist vs the next off-the-assembly-line by workers at QC- of the exact same property- might yield an entirely different, or more muted, reaction.

Track records are important, but the same artist that produced an A+++ effort once, may not be in a great place (psychologically. emotionally) when he's working on your commission and the piece may suffer in comparison (to the previous sample) because of that. Artists aren't machines and they do go through ups and downs that affect their work.

That's the one thing where an assembly line approach may have an advantage Spreading the work around to several other hands means the finished product isn't dependent on any one person's moods or state.
pdenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 11:09 PM   #410
pdenham
Teen Titans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixblazes View Post
I’ve never seen one of the custom silicones, but even with the ones I’ve received from Queen Studios I can see room for improvement. I’ve got a couple (Hulk & Thanos) and both had issues that were a tad irritating, but I still love having the pieces in my collection.

Issues such as indents/lines on the silicone, slight paint issues, crack/peel in the silicone (on the inner corner on the bottom lip so not terrible), glue residue on the glass eyes and casting issues on the polystone parts. Note that most of these aren’t noticeable unless you’re looking inches from the piece.
I'm concerned that these kinds of QC "good enough" passes are going to be more and more prevalent as they get closer to the end of the run and are moving product out to get on to the next thing that people are impatiently screaming for.

QS seems to me to be biting off more than they can chew properly. They seem to be getting too big, too fast...to me.
pdenham is offline   Reply With Quote