Zot

not into comics, I love cartoons.
craigcliff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 01:49 AM   #43
Mooste
The Avengers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister H View Post
I don?t read anime/manga but I?m sure there must be something to it. I think one of the reasons it?s outselling comics is because how horrible comics have become. You can?t continuously push your social and political views on people who don?t want to hear it and expect to sell.
True, I guess a lot of people switched over to have at least a decent story.
Mooste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 02:17 AM   #44
Phoenixblazes
Crime Syndicate

The money is in Asia nowadays, and they obviously prefer Anime and Manga as that’s geared specifically for that market.

Reading Manga and watching Anime is big in Asia, and it’s not nearly as discriminated as cartoons and comics are in Western markets.

And if you’re referring to various types of social issues, they also exist in mangas as well. Hell, some probably go even further than what’s shown in western comics. But the sheer amount of mangas that are published probably far outstrip the main American distributors. Manga doesn’t really have any limits at all.

And given the current streaming and gaming age, it’s not surprising that the demand in comics has plummeted. My guess is that the social issue critiques is only one of many reasons for the decrease in readerships.
Phoenixblazes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 02:50 AM   #45
qz33
Doctor Doom

Statue companies have saturated the market for American comic/movie statues and are desperate for lifeblood.
Few statue buyers were prior avid readers and far fewer were current readers.
Comics were always a niche but now there's games and million other pastimes on the internet. Majority of comic buyers have been speculators cover collectors for a while now.
Newbies that are genuinely interested in reading comics have easy access to decades of material to pick and choose that had far more meaningful talent invested into their creation.
Time for the thinning of the herd.
qz33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 03:40 AM   #46
Phoenixblazes
Crime Syndicate

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz33 View Post
Statue companies have saturated the market for American comic/movie statues and are desperate for lifeblood.
Few statue buyers were prior avid readers and far fewer were current readers.
Comics were always a niche but now there's games and million other pastimes on the internet. Majority of comic buyers have been speculators cover collectors for a while now.
Newbies that are genuinely interested in reading comics have easy access to decades of material to pick and choose that had far more meaningful talent invested into their creation.
Time for the thinning of the herd.
I was truly surprised how many of the comic book statue collectors on these forums hadn’t read any comics in over 2 to 3 decades, or maybe even longer.

I still read comics, but I haven’t read individual floppies since maybe 2006-2010. As I’ve been a subscriber to the Marvel Unlimited App for more than a decade I think.

But for physical books I only buy Omnibuses, though for Marvel I try to limit myself to Events only. I sometimes think I’ve spent more on omni’s than some collectors here have on statues, as they add up ridiculously quickly.
Phoenixblazes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 04:30 AM   #47
craigcliff1
Zot

Learned about characters starting with Superfriemds, Spidey, Bats Animated, West Bats, Avengers, X Men, Supes, Bats B and B.
Teen Titans, The Btaman, LOS, Filmation DC.
craigcliff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 08:33 AM   #48
Yamato
Justice League

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyro Zeppeli View Post
I hope that's true about anime being the big thing now and comic book stuff tanking. I'm sick of comic books and Western films dominating the 1/4th market for such a long time. It has been a breath of fresh air seeing all these anime IPs getting big statues recently.
Agreed, western comics and films have been extremely uncreative for a long time at that.
Yamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 01:33 AM   #49
jonylin
Justice League

I'm really happy to hear that Prime 1 is shifting priorities from western comic to video game and anime/manga statues since those are what I collect haha. Focusing more on 1/4 scale is great too since it really is the best scale for most people, myself included (although I'm still getting that 1/3 scale 2B because NieR).

As people have been complaining about for years, they've been saturating the market with way too many character repeats of Batman, Wonder Woman, etc. When watching the past showcases, I always find myself asking, "Another one?? Who in the world is collecting all these versions of Batman?" It's about time that Prime 1 wakes up to the untapped market of gamers and anime/manga fans, many of whom are just getting into the statue collecting hobby and are hungry for statues of their favorite characters. With this news, I can't wait to see what Prime 1 has in store for us this coming weekend with Part 3 of Next Level X.
jonylin is offline   Reply With Quote