Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

The Mighty Reviews 1/13/11

Dawg’s Review

Daredevil Reborn #1 (of 4)
Marvel Comics
Written by: Andy Diggle
Drawn by: Davide Gianfelice

I wish the Daredevil book never went on hiatus. I wish Marvel wouldn’t try to lure Daredevil readers into buying the new Black Panther book titled: The Man Without Fear. Despite not being a huge fan of the Shadowland story itself, I thought the Daredevil issues were the best of the bunch. Andy Diggle can write a great Daredevil and I was bummed that the Daredevil book was morphing into another attempt to get the Black Panther in front of more eyes. The Black Panther is a great character, don’t get me wrong, but the Man Without Fear is Matt Murdock.

I must say that I am even more bummed that Daredevil is on hiatus right now, when Marvel puts out such a quality issue that is this month’s Daredevil Reborn. Why not run this in the main book as a story arc. Cannot Matt Murdock search for himself there? Can’t he seek redemption in his own title? When Marvel does a mini series like this it only serves to remove the character from his own timeline and continuity, because we don’t get a sense of how long Matt has been away walking across the country.

With those gripes aside, I have to say that this book is on point. It reminds all of us Daredevil fans that Matt Murdock is still a fantastic character, which is not above his own failings as a human being. In fact it seems that Matt is quite the magnet for finding trouble. I mean let’s face it, everywhere Matt goes, it always ends up being something.

The guy is running away from his life in New York as Daredevil because he believes he always sticks his nose where it doesn’t belong, and yet what happens in this issue is exactly what he is trying to avoid… a Cause.

It turns out Matt is passing through some little town somewhere in the badlands, and this town has a secret or two that it doesn’t want outsiders nosing around in. Matt could care less at first because he just wants a cup of coffee and a night’s rest.

As it turns out he can’t even be given that, as a few thugs and then the Sheriff are more than eager to run him out of town. Trying to push around a super hero is probably not the best idea though as it serves only to have Mat ignore his own promise to not get involved. The cops who ran him off find out that according to the FBI, is actually Daredevil (not proven) and so they get the idea to kill him before he decides to make their business his own.

I wasn’t expecting much from this honestly. I am very glad I was wrong and I should have known better, because the main writer of Daredevil is also the mind behind this mini series. That fact, coupled with Davide Gianfelice’s art, which is a cross between Ron Garney and Scot Kolins, make for a hell of a good book. I have been missing a good Matt Murdock story and I am hopeful that the rest of this mini plans out to be as well done as the first issue. If you haven’t been right without your monthly dose of Daredevil, then I would highly recommend this book to get your fix.

Wktf’s Reviews

The Amazing Spider-Man #651
Marvel Comics
Written by: Dan Slott
Drawn by: Humberto Ramos
Cover by: Humberto Ramos

Spider-Man has hit the Big Time! Yes, it’s true. Spider-Man comics are fun again. The creative team of Slott and Ramos have done so much cool and fun stuff with this title in just a few short issues to virtually wipe away the bad taste in this reviewer’s mouth extending all the way back to Spidey’s unmasking in Civil War, the identity do-over and marriage nullifying One More Day and the mishandling of the title through Siege and One Moment in Time. Sadly true, Peter and MJ still are no more but so much now is right with this title that Spider-Man is, gasp, fun again.

This issue wraps up the post-Siege opening Big Time arc. And in it Peter’s got himself a cute and intellectual looking new girlfriend, a police officer named Carlie, his Aunt May still dotes over him (to the point of helping him get a cool new job that actually pays him tons of money AND provides a way for him to separate his Peter life from the Spidey life), he now can afford not only to rent a cool New York apartment but to BUY said apartment and, as Spider-Man, he’s teamed up with The Black Cat and has got to go up against The Hobgoblin, The Kingpin and Montana from The Enforcers.

Ramos’ art is cartoony and distended as it ever has been. I always felt his art worked on Spectactular Spider-Man and it really works in spades here. Ramos’ Kingpin is positively foreboding and frightening, especially when his hulking form is coming up behind Felicia and as he and Spidey confront themselves for the first time in this arc with an entire building crumbling around them. And his Hobgoblin is suitably creepy and spooky. But it’s Slott who’s just the creative genius here. You can tell he’s having the time of his life having complete control over Marvel’s flagship title. His story and scripting has just rocked since the beginning of this arc and carries through to this issue as well. And, while this arc opened with Spidey and The Avengers averting a city-destroying catastrophe, it ends in this issue with a tender moment between Peter and his Aunt May when Peter’s reverie is triggered by the look of love on May’s face. Yes, Peter, you’ve got it right. You HAVE finally hit the big time. This issue is my pick of the week.

Black Panther: The Man Without Fear #514
Marvel Comics
Written by: David Liss
Drawn by: Francesco Francavilla
Cover by: Simone Bianchi

Remember after World War Hulk the Incredible One’s title kept its numbering going but changed characters from The Hulk to Hercules? Well, now that Shadowland has thankfully ended Daredevil’s title has gone a similar route. Continuing with its same numbering, Hell’s Kitchen still has a Man Without Fear but it’s no longer Matt Murdock. No, Matt’s taking time off to rediscover himself after Andy Diggle dismembered his character. Now the Guardian of Hell’s Kitchen is none other than T’Challa, the enigmatic and truly awesome Black Panther. T’Challa, like Matt, has got his own demons to wrestle. After nearly being killed by Doom and waging a war with the same despot, he’s neutered Wakanda’s store of Vibranium, the source of the nation’s wealth and power, and now no longer is that nation’s warrior king. And, as such, he is without the powers of the panther god. A more or less normal man, but still T’Challa, he stalks Hell’s Kitchen in the name of justice. And that’s a premise that’s pretty damn cool.

Couple this concept with the stellar writing of David Liss (whose work I don’t remember reading before) and the simply perfect minimalistic art of Francesco Francavilla (also never heard of him) and the reader has in his hands a winning combination. Francavilla’s art is dark and shadowy, just perfect for this title, and he makes T’Challa work at every effort he must undergo. Oddly enough with The Kingpin firmly entrenched following Shadowland, there’s a new crimelord terrorizing the streets of Hell’s Kitchen. Named Vlad The Impaler, but not to be confused with Dracula, this eastern European criminal has no compunction against murder as a means toward his ends. And, with this issue, and well out of his element, T’Challa learns that this Vlad is just as crafty as he is. So much so to the point that T’Challa may well have found his role as Hell Kitchen’s hero quickly reversed.

This is a powerful, refreshing take on a decades-old character. Proof that with the right creators on board even characters who’ve been as fully explored, as great writers like Roy Thomas and Reggie Hudlin have explored The Black Panther, still have great stories left in them to tell. Be sure to pick up this issue and the prior one if you’ve never gotten into The Black Panther. Or even if you have.

The Secret Six #29
DC Comics
Written by: Gail Simone
Drawn by: Marcos Marz
Cover by: Daniel Luvisi
Special thanks to: Paul Cornell

I’ve never read Secret Six to this point and only picked up this book as it’s the second part to the Luthor/Vandal Savage story begun a couple of weeks back in Action Comics. I figured this was DC’s attempt to pick up new readers by forcing this crossover from Paul Cornell’s insanely popular take on old Lex. I’d also heard great things about what Gail Simone had been doing with this title and, so, was actually pretty excited to have a reason to pick it up.

Sadly, though, this book just didn’t deliver. Despite cacophonous explosions, buildings’ being destroyed and a fist fight between Savage and Luthor, there was very little of interest that happened here beyond a brief glimpse into a key moment in Vandal and daughter Scandal Savage’s lives. I didn’t feel like this story helped advance the Luthor drama in Action Comics, despite being an offshoot of that storyline, and the events just seemed be randomly thrown together during the course of the issue. And, to top it off, Marcos Marz’s art was fairly wooden and lifeless. I’m really surprised at how underwhelmed I am by this issue, considering Simone wrote it and the opportunity to pick up new readers from this crossover story. All in all a real disappointment.

Last edited by wktf; 01-14-2011 at 03:44 PM.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 02:38 PM   #2
kal-el
Statue Forum MacDaddy

Still wish I reading DD in whatever form he is in. I gave up on Marvel and couple of years back and this is the one title I do miss the most even if the continue to mess with Matt.

Otherwise good reviews on books I did not read. Allways a treat every week sometimes better than the book itself
kal-el is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 11:11 AM   #3
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Thanks for the kind compliment, Kal.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:44 PM   #4
JLM
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

How many issues is Daredevil Reborn?
JLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 02:46 PM   #5
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Four issues, JLM.
Old 01-14-2011, 03:01 PM   #6
JLM
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Thanks Joe. May get the TPB in due course.
JLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 07:34 PM   #7
bat_collector
Galactus

I wouldn't judge Secret Six by the crossover issue.

Its been a solid series for me since it began.
bat_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 08:00 PM   #8
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

Nice reviews Joe. Glad to read Spidey is back on form. But this thing with DD and the death of Bullseye really has turned me off comics. Just too much messing about with my favourite characters.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 10:06 PM   #9
Jesse321
Galactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat_collector View Post

Agreed, but actually, the best DC book this week was ... wait for it ...

Jesse321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 12:04 AM   #10
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat_collector View Post

What did you think of this issue, though, Mike?