Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 07-20-2019, 03:38 PM   #191
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by xellos49698 View Post
I think that Spider-man & MJ release here means the Fairy-tail line is still on Hiatus. Shame too, because I was really looking forward to more Fairy-tail characters verses what they decided to go with.
I’ve got Alice on order.
Old 07-20-2019, 06:00 PM   #192
xellos49698
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

^Same, I'm hoping Alice doesn't get delayed again and ships in August.
xellos49698 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 03:11 AM   #193
Shoo
The Enchantress

YouTube video by Ehollywood / Art in Everything.

Search for "SDCC 2019 Sideshow Spidey and Maryjane statue".
Shoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 11:14 AM   #194
AC_808
Hercules

Damn, nearly a month.

Wonder if SSC is even considering fixing Peter's eyes so he doesn't look so creepy.
AC_808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 05:16 PM   #195
Peedi
The Secret Six

Anybody who doesn’t like the MCU Spidey movies, wish granted.

SMFH!!!
Peedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 05:31 PM   #196
mva5580
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Eh, I won't be surprised if he finds his way back to the MCU eventually. They'll make 1 movie without it and I won't be at all surprised if it isn't received positively and they cut a deal.

But at the same time I don't think this is necessarily a bad time for Sony to try it on their own; I think the MCU is going to see a bit of a down turn after the entire Endgame saga. That was in a lot of ways the "end" of so many things that would be easily appealing to mainstream audiences and enable it to became what it did. I have no idea what their plans are now in terms of a shared universe, but it's going to be very, very difficult to come close to matching what they've already done. Their best chances are doing the Fantastic Four & X-Men in great ways, whenever they get around to them.

Unfortunately we've been robbed of Jonah in the MCU though lol. That one hurts.
mva5580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 05:42 PM   #197
Peedi
The Secret Six

I wouldn’t be surprised either.

I think this would be a terrible time for Sony to try it on their own. Spider-Man dealing with the fallout of the last movie’s ending or being on the run, he would have some type of support. He doesn’t have IM helping him but to say he doesn’t have access or outreach by anybody else he’s crossed who would genuinely feel for him...Black Panther, Valkyrie, Pepper, Happy, etc, is unlikely and Sony can’t use any of those characters. They’d have to outright ignore them.

If SM:FFH is an indicator, the MCU won’t face a serious downturn after Endgame. Things need to change. People get tired of the same thing. They’ve built for 10 years. It seems people are excited to see where it goes and where it’ll build to next. I don’t think they care to match what they’ve done per se, I think they want to explore new territory and hopefully still entertain enough to make the money.

Yes, definitely robbed of Jonah. Also Scorpion’s return, possibly Norman Osborn, and other Spidey characters in the MCU. Would’ve loved to have a Doc Oc in the MCU, or Harry and Gwen once Peter got to college since the next movie was supposed to be his last year in high school.
Peedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 05:47 PM   #198
mva5580
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

I'm going to guess the Sony film is going to have the same cast and that's pretty much it. I mean they can't really reference anything from the MCU so Peter Parker is probably, basically, going to just get dropped into trying to take down Venom. The whole thing is probably going to feel pretty awkward.

This might be long term, it might not. It will be very, very interesting to see how well the next one does at the box office as I wonder if people will do a bit of a mini-boycott at the frustration that he's no longer part of that universe. I really won't be at all surprised if this is 1 film and he's right back in the MCU.

I'm excited to see where the MCU goes, I'm just not confident that the "mainstream" fan is going to be nearly as interested in the characters that they're going to start working with going forward as they were Cap, Iron Man, etc.

I'll also add I'm not 100% convinced this is truly a story until a Sony-only Spiderman film actually gets made. They have plenty of time to come to an agreement and I would really hope/think at some point both sides realize this is a relationship worth keeping.
mva5580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 02:19 PM   #199
Ralek
Fantastic Four

I dunno, but to me it feels like Spidey was bascially extricated from that giant continuity experiment that Disney is running with the MCU. I felt Homecoming and Far From Home were decent films, but they were suffering from the same issues virtually all recent Disney Marvel films were suffering from: they were not really good stand-alone movies. They were designed in service to a greater goal, and the movies never could shake that inherent principle.

Hell, there are no excuses for Dark Phoenix for instance, but Logan? That was some seriously good filmmaking AND entertainment by Fox & company, even taking purely at its own merit. And Spiderverse is probably my favourite Spidey movie yet, topping out even Spider-Man 2 (though my mind might change on that after repeated viewings). Still, that movie is excellent and it'S really pushing what animation can do into exciting new directions. For the House of Mouse it must in particular sting that by far the best ANIMATED Marvel-based movie comes from ... Sony, not exactly an animation power-house compared to Disney.

Long story short, I kinda like the more small-scale and small-stakes stories of Spider-Man better, when it's not the universe or even the world at stake, but just ... y'know Aunt May or something. I think the chances that we go back to that are much higher with Sony than with the MCU, which ... really can hardly do that, unless the timetable for the next project next some kind of "filler", which in turn whould probably lead to yet another movie that on it's own merit feels like an afterthought, or more to the point, a prelude - prelude after prelude after prelude, years on end.

I was also not fond of the whole technified Iron Spider take on the character. Robert Downey Jr. is going to be nearly impossible to replace, I get that. But that is just it, he is going to be impossible to replace - not Iron Man. Iron Man was hardly a super big deal, before that movie rolled around. Setting Spidey/Holland up to carry that ... I dunno, that never sat right by me.

I like the MCU, but it feels like it's suffocating creativity right now. Not everything needs to be concerned with a decade long continuity. Some stories work better when they are told within a single movie, or two or maybe a trilogy, but with a definitive end and within a reasonable scope. I don't have any Superhero fatigue, Logan and Spider-Verse, but also stuff like Guardians Part 1 or Wonder Woman proved that to me. What I am fatigued of is these big ensemble movies and the decade-long build up to those.

Hence I am glad that DC is apparently going in the opposite direction, having their future stuff play out within the same universe, without putting a focus on connecting these movies and have them build on one another. Same goes (hopefully) for Marvel's next phase. I don't think I can (or even want to) keep up that pace of attention Infinity War demanded, certianly not when they start adding in multiple Disney+ shows, that will also be "mandatory" to watch, because they are "canon" and basically considered required viewing.

I want stuff that looks and feels different from the what the MCU has established. THat goes for stories, sure, but also for all other aspects of the movies design. Not everything needs to have the same horrible temp music, uninspired editing and borderline offensively boring and uniform coloring (for instance). SpiderVerse should be one glowing example to the industry of how to avert/avoid fatigue for their money makers.

I'd love to have like an animated (or maybe even live-action take) on McFarlane's Spider-Man for example. Y'know like a darker, more like horror-inspired Spidey. I mean, folks are not normally that fond of giant arachnoids, so it always felt like a good fit to me, not to mention villains like Venom and so. Granted, story-wise McFarlane's stuff was ... not great, but as a baseline, an inspiration? I'd be totally down for that.

Any news on that facial sculpt btw? :-)
Ralek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 01:30 PM   #200
Master Pizza
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

UPDATE

Master Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote