Old 08-29-2018, 03:16 AM   #51
Gothamite
Phoenix

Maybe the Japanese yen cratered.
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 08:47 AM   #52
Tushar
Hellboy

(Advisory - lots of speculation in this post.)

I have a theory. Koto is testing the market. Maybe the constant discounts are hurting them. They figure, if people are willing to pay through the nose, let them. If not, we'll make at least some money even after deep discounts.

This is clearly misguided. It might have worked for lines like horror bishoujos, where there are no real alternatives. For Infinity War, on the other hand, there's a wealth of options out there.

My theory is based on their recent Justice League line, which seems like it under-performed massively and warmed shelves for a long time even after unreal discounts.

The thing to keep in mind, though, is that with the exception of WW and possibly Batfleck, those costumes sucked balls. The movie being a dud didn't help. Flash, Cyborg and Aquaman were undercooked characters in their first appearance. No wonder they didn't win over many people. No wonder there wasn't a huge demand for their statues.

But maybe they looked at their poorly-selling JL line and that's why they decided to not do the whole IW line; went only with a few statues.

However, being cautious with the IW line in the aftermath of JL is asinine. MCU characters (and costumes) are tried and tested with a solid fanbase out there.

Hope Koto realizes it sooner rather than later.

-----------------------------------------------------------

In the meantime, the only thing we can do is vote with our wallets. If we let them know we're not buying their stuff at insane prices, no matter how good they are, maybe they'll cave. At least that's what I hope happens.

Bye for now, ArtFX+. We had a good run. Hope we meet again.
Tushar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 11:12 AM   #53
Bea625
Fantastic Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tushar View Post
(Advisory - lots of speculation in this post.)

I have a theory. Koto is testing the market. Maybe the constant discounts are hurting them. They figure, if people are willing to pay through the nose, let them. If not, we'll make at least some money even after deep discounts.

This is clearly misguided. It might have worked for lines like horror bishoujos, where there are no real alternatives. For Infinity War, on the other hand, there's a wealth of options out there.

My theory is based on their recent Justice League line, which seems like it under-performed massively and warmed shelves for a long time even after unreal discounts.

The thing to keep in mind, though, is that with the exception of WW and possibly Batfleck, those costumes sucked balls. The movie being a dud didn't help. Flash, Cyborg and Aquaman were undercooked characters in their first appearance. No wonder they didn't win over many people. No wonder there wasn't a huge demand for their statues.

But maybe they looked at their poorly-selling JL line and that's why they decided to not do the whole IW line; went only with a few statues.

However, being cautious with the IW line in the aftermath of JL is asinine. MCU characters (and costumes) are tried and tested with a solid fanbase out there.

Hope Koto realizes it sooner rather than later.

-----------------------------------------------------------

In the meantime, the only thing we can do is vote with our wallets. If we let them know we're not buying their stuff at insane prices, no matter how good they are, maybe they'll cave. At least that's what I hope happens.

Bye for now, ArtFX+. We had a good run. Hope we meet again.

Agreed. The Justice league line had an $80 MSRP, and only WW would warrant that. All of their Star Wars items, with the exception of a few, have been heavily discounted (25-50%) by a few months after release. I still think it is a stupid way of selling product, but they are still probably getting enough people up front to make up for the discounts later.
Bea625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 11:27 AM   #54
Gothamite
Phoenix

Weren't bishoujos available for Diamond Gallery prices not that long ago?
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 01:48 AM   #55
Tushar
Hellboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothamite View Post
Weren't bishoujos available for Diamond Gallery prices not that long ago?
I can only speak for the past couple of years. DST Gallery pieces have been hovering around the $45 range. Bishoujos were slightly higher, in the $55 range. But yeah, I would say, they used to be comparable, unlike today.
Old 08-30-2018, 03:21 AM   #56
JoeWorf
The Herculoids

Quote:
I can only speak for the past couple of years. DST Gallery pieces have been hovering around the $45 range. Bishoujos were slightly higher, in the $55 range. But yeah, I would say, they used to be comparable, unlike today.
Looked through my spreadsheets and my earlier Bishoujos fell in the range between the mid-50s and mid-60s once upon a time. I've gotten most of the older statues I missed out on or passed on back then, except Catwoman and the Carol Danvers Ms. Marvel (waaaaaay too expensive on the secondary market now). Current escalating prices mean that I'm essentially done unless something phenomenal pops up. My last new Bishoujo was Chun-Li v2.
JoeWorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 02:07 PM   #57
Tushar
Hellboy

I suddenly realized that the NYTF didn't bring any new statues from this line. This odd group of four statues is all we're gonna get, looks like.

As a solo statue, only the Iron Spider is worth getting, IMO, but even that is overpriced. I don't think this line is gonna sell very well. They would have had better luck if they rounded this line out with at least some semblence of a team.
Old 02-23-2019, 07:46 PM   #58
WhistlingTime
Birdman

I agree - I also found it to be a curious selection of characters. Given how close we are to Endgame I wouldn't have expected further IW-related announcements.

If their intention was to only do 3 or 4 characters, I would've preferred more of a diorama-like setup, similar to what they did with the Civil War Cap/IM and Age of Ultron Hulk/Hulkbuster. A set that captured the Thanos fight on Titan or the Thor/Thanos confrontation at the end may have had potential.

I also think that opting for that sort of setup would help differentiate their product offerings from the plethora of Marvel figures/statue in the market.
WhistlingTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 11:20 AM   #59
Bea625
Fantastic Four

Quote:
I suddenly realized that the NYTF didn't bring any new statues from this line. This odd group of four statues is all we're gonna get, looks like.

As a solo statue, only the Iron Spider is worth getting, IMO, but even that is overpriced. I don't think this line is gonna sell very well. They would have had better luck if they rounded this line out with at least some semblence of a team.

There wasn't much of anything shown besides bishoujo/ikeman and the Premier line. No Star Wars, no DC, no X-Men '92, no Marvel...I was very disappointed. I'm not into Bishoujos and Ikeman is strange imo, so the only think I was somewhat eager to see was the new Marvel Premier Line. They look nice...but are way overpriced. They'll drop just like all non Bishoujos do.

The Infinity War statues look nice, but similar to the Bounty Hunter line, are way overpriced. MSRP on Iron Spider is $120...that's outrageous. Thanos is already going for under $70 on eBay and I expect Dr. Strange and Gamora to drop quite a bit as well. I think Thanos should have been priced at $80 to start and the rest at $75.
Bea625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 12:21 PM   #60
Tushar
Hellboy

Of all the statuemakers, it's funny that the one to come up with the best IW idea was Funko:

Imagine Koto or Iron Studios capturing this scene.