Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Sculptor's Pit Stop

Old 06-19-2005, 11:07 AM   #1
the nooch
Frackin!

Can you cook sculpey on resin?

I am repairing a peice for a guy and he did a resin cast of his work so far and then continued with sculpey over top. The problem is, how do I cook the sculpey? I have some idea's (heat gun, low temperature bake, quick bake bursts) I just thought you guys would have some ideas, or perhaps someone has run across this before and found a good way to deal with it.

Thanks

The Nooch
the nooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 12:03 PM   #2
mikeyb
Sculptor
Sculptor

yeah, it can be done. i did a piece recently that required alternate heads, and when it came time to make the second head i used a resin cast of the first and built up in sculpey. all you have to do is bake it at a low temp (about 120 'c) for a slightly longer period. dont expect there to be a seamless edge where the sculpey meets resin though, you might need a bit of filler and possibly even to glue the edge back down onto the resin. hope that helps,

mike
mikeyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 04:28 PM   #3
Lunchmin
Sculptor
Sculptor

mikey said exactly everything i was gonna!
...but just for the sake of saying so- why not try an epoxie medium like aves or masic sculpt? you wouldn't have to worry about the backing as epoxies are self hardening. they'd be ideal for some things, but if you were going to say, sculpt a custom head on a resin bust- go with the sculpey per mikey's wisdom.

-gabe
Old 06-19-2005, 07:29 PM   #4
Kdawg59
Sculptor of Gods
ProducerSculptor

This is great Mike and Gabe... I was wondering this myself... making ahead in castilene but want to cast it in resing so I can attach it to the sculpey and build up around it! awesome thanks!!!
Old 06-20-2005, 01:29 AM   #5
Lunchmin
Sculptor
Sculptor

oh heck yes, dawg-
cast a head, get it as tight as possible on the neck with sculpey and just fill in your minor seam with aves. it works like a dream.
i did something similar- i had a bust that needed arms, so i sculpted them on the resin bust (with sculpey), then baked it at low temps and let it cool, for the sake of not deforming the seem and warping the resin. then i pulled off the arms and rebaked them good and hard.
a lilttle glue, a little putty and you could never tell under the coat of primer!

-gabe
Old 06-20-2005, 02:41 AM   #6
Arahom Radjah
ARH Studios

I create to myself a while ago a Basic body sculpture that I reproduce in resin and use to sculpt over it . The ss works very good over the resin... but if you apply a very thin layer you should bake it with a heat gun, because when the resin goes in the oven, it expand a little bit and will crack all over the ss !!! so I recommend you use ss over the resin but avoid to bake it in the oven !!! a heat gun will work pretty fine if you learn how to get it right !!!

Another good tip is that you should use " SCULPEY CLAY SOFTENER " and mix it with the clay you will apply over the resin... this way the clay will be stickier and much easier to work with !!!
Arahom Radjah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 01:21 AM   #7
the nooch
Frackin!

Thanks guys

Thanks for the advice guys. i haven't gotten to work on thew piece yet but your ideas are all great. It is good to have a heads up regarding the possible problems. Thanks again.
the nooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 02:58 PM   #8
arthammer
Sculptor
Sculptor

You can also use Magic Sculpt or Aves epoxy. They air dry in a few hours and you wont have to heat or rebake anything. Sand like glass too.
arthammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 05:41 PM   #9
Tony Coca
Teflon Don

Well only if your really really hungry.
Tony Coca is offline   Reply With Quote