Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Bowen Designs

Old 03-30-2014, 01:17 AM   #1
crankyjammies
I am da law!

Opinion: Bowen Smackdown Hulk

I have a chance to buy the Bowen Smack Down Hulk at a fairly reasonable price, although I am having second thoughts of getting it. Naturally, I'd like to know what you guys think, especially those who own this piece.

1. What's your opinion of the piece?
2. Does it look more impressive in person than in pictures?
3. Lastly, which would you rather have, Smack Down Hulk or the newest Hulk Variant?
crankyjammies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 06:42 AM   #2
travis
A.I.M.

Both hulks are awesome. Smack down has the action part down so should be displayed with other action statues. It it one of the best hulks IMHO ever made, and in person it's fine and does the job for me fighting my Bowen Wendigo and Hulk #181 Wolverine. No complaints on my end. If you can handle Bowen scale it'll be fine. The biggest complaints about this piece I find is that they say it's too small and it should be Sideshow scaled at 1/4 or 1/5. If you want action get it and if not then the Variant will do. I have both of those pieces and would easily put them in the top 5 list of every hulk made to date
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 06:43 AM   #3
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankyjammies View Post
I have a chance to buy the Bowen Smack Down Hulk at a fairly reasonable price, although I am having second thoughts of getting it. Naturally, I'd like to know what you guys think, especially those who own this piece.

1. What's your opinion of the piece?
2. Does it look more impressive in person than in pictures?
3. Lastly, which would you rather have, Smack Down Hulk or the newest Hulk Variant?
Wow, tough questions. Let me answer accordingly.

1. The piece is very nice and sturdy. The detail on the face and the musculature is phenomenal. Heavy. It works well as a diorama with other action pieces. Paint app is clean and beautiful.

2. Yes, it looks 10 times more impressive in person than in pictures. It is One of those statues that will make you stare at it for awhile. It is so alive.

3. The toughest answer of all. Smackdown and the Savage Variant have a different feel from each other but not in an eliminating or excluding way. I like them both because they represent Hulk in two distinctive poses. The Variant is very imposing and works best when displayed with museum and semi-action pose statues. The Smackdown is a little shorter but bulkier and works best with action pose statues. I don't think that one is better than the other because both have their pros and cons.

Now, if I have to choose only one in my collection, it would be the Variant because it is more versatile on display. But I recommend anybody to own the Smackdown at least once to find out for themselves the beauty and the craftsmanship of it. The Smackdown is one of those statues that I bought trigger happy on ebay, not thinking too much of it (for a very good price), but as soon as I took it out of the box, I was brought down to my knees because of its impressiveness. It is one of the best statues ever made by Randy alongside the Action Thor, and one of the best Hulks period.
JP Sarri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 07:51 AM   #4
A Cimmerian
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Smackdown Hulk is the best Hulk statue that was ever made. Leaves all the others in the dust.
A Cimmerian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 10:14 AM   #5
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

It is an awesome piece. The retro green, smackdown Hulk, and savage Hulk variant are all very good statues.
Old 03-30-2014, 10:33 AM   #6
ratchet
Mandarin

Smackdown Hulk is the better piece, IMO. But both pieces are incredible
ratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 11:17 AM   #7
Luminous
Cyclops

I prefer the Green Retro Hulk. Just my two cents.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 02:04 PM   #8
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

I agree with jpsarri completely. And all the Hulk statues are great versions of the characters. I own Smackdown, Shiflett FS, and Retro Green and really love them all.

The other thing to note is that if you position the Smackdown Hulk against the just wonderful FS Abomination you get a scene that well could be based on the cover of Tales to Astonish #91, for those with a Silver Age sensibility.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 02:46 PM   #9
statue-man
The Riddler

??
statue-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 03:01 PM   #10
statue-man
The Riddler

statue-man is offline   Reply With Quote