Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 07-30-2007, 06:22 PM   #1
patrickwm68
The Flash

Killing of Children in Comics

Maybe I never noticed it before but I have a 2 year old and I'm noticing it now. An awful lot of child killings are going on in comics nowadays. Wasn't this a taboo subject at one time? I'm at work now and don't have the books in front of me but I can remember the titles in question:

Ghost Rider (Recent Mini-Series, child forced to put pencil in eye)

Ghost Rider (Current Series, van with kids in it blows up, resurrected Jack O' Lantern beheading children)

Amazons Attack (2nd page of the first issue, Amazon kills father and son)

JSA (Nazi Speedster rips right through a mother and child in issue #2, more children killed by other Nazi supers)

Civil War (Whole school yard of children killed)

52/WW3 (Black Adam goes on a rampage killing everyone including children)

I'm sure I'm missing something. Just curious on everyones thoughts on this.

Seems like a cheap way to get a rise out of readers to me.
patrickwm68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 07:07 PM   #2
Fannymac
I bought some powdered water, but I don't know what to add to it.

It's one of the things that's kind of turned me off to NEW X-MEN (other than the awful art now!).....the book's just gotten too dark, with WAY too much death!!
Fannymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 07:10 PM   #3
moon_knight1971
Rescue

Really haven't noticed much of this since I don't read many of these titles. I have read the Civil War and the current Ghost Rider and I don't think they were untastefully done. Nitro is a vicious killer and Jack-O-Lantern was overtaken by the Devil.....
moon_knight1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 07:13 PM   #4
Teague
Iron Man

Wow, that does seem like a lot...

...comics are darker no, no doubt. There's just no way you can mistake the medium as a whole for anything but an adult medium now. Stuff that's suitable for kids is the rare exception now, where not that long ago, it was exactly the opposite.

The only one of these I was aware of was the Civil War killings (and while horrifying, it was at least not specific or visually gory). Even if they didn't "show" some of the other stuff you mention, the details are pretty horrifying.
Teague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 07:13 PM   #5
patrickwm68
The Flash

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon_knight1971 View Post
Really haven't noticed much of this since I don't read many of these titles. I have read the Civil War and the current Ghost Rider and I don't think they were untastefully done. Nitro is a vicious killer and Jack-O-Lantern was overtaken by the Devil.....
My point is, it used to be off limits to kill a child in a comic and now it seems like it's the norm to off a kid.

I was really surprised to see the killing in JSA.
Old 07-30-2007, 07:14 PM   #6
Ink
My Better Is Better Than Your Better

nice
Ink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 07:58 PM   #7
Moogled
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Doesn't bother me.

I find that comics are more than just cartoons so I welcome the realistic depiction of life.

There's definitely a line between realism and tastelessness but I haven't found anything like that yet. Anyone care to share?

Times change. Homosexuality used to be taboo and now more people are embracing it. Smoking used to be widely accepted and now it's starting to be POTENTIALLY unacceptable.
Moogled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 08:31 PM   #8
RichBamf
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Comics, like all art forms, reflect life.

As long as kids are stabbing and killing each other, or parents or family members/friends are abusing or killing them, it'll be portrayed in comics.

What we've noticed is an increase in the instances of these cases in real life, reflected in comics.

Whether that's good or bad is up for debate, but art will always reflect life.
RichBamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 08:32 PM   #9
Babytoxie
Ghost

Yikes! Well, I certainly hope it doesn't become acceptable to kill children in my lifetime.

I can do without topics such as the killing of children, "women in refrigerators", and torture in my superhero comics, because all of it that i can see is simply gratuitous. Sure, back in the day, comics started to push buttons with the inclusion of mature themes, but it was to draw attention to social issues like drug abuse, child abuse, racism, cults, etc. Do the books listed above present the death of children to alert us to an important issue? Not that I can see. What's the point? Simple - there is none, and no need for it as far as I'm concerned.
Babytoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 08:38 PM   #10
patrickwm68
The Flash

Because it's happening so much in comics now I feel that the writers are just looking for a quick horrified reaction out of the reader, what better way then to kill a young kid in some horrible way like being torn apart by a speedster or forced to stick a pencil in their eye by an Angel. I think it's just lazy writing. All these writers want to be Garth Ennis.

I forgot to mention the most recent Man-Bat miniseries.