Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 05-16-2018, 11:18 AM   #1
samhain81
The Masters of Evil

Sideshow/Fedex - Better Options For UK?

What is the situation with Sideshow and Fedex? Do Sideshow have a contract with Fedex, or do they just use them as preference?

My reasons for asking is that I've had two statues delivered, a few months apart; one from Fedex International (via Fedex) and the other from Parcelforce uk (via UPS).

Both were from another company on here mind you, but my query is relating to sideshow ultimately, and their Fedex shipping. Because up until a few months ago, I was receiving all orders from this company from UPS and then through Parcelforce when it hit the UK, and when delivered I was given bills of around £30 only for customs/VAT. When I asked parcel force about the code they used, they said it was 5% tax code, and has always been so for them on these products. I thought that's amazing, and ultimately one of the main reasons that I was still buying from this company.

Then out of nowhere, this company decided to ship one of my orders through fedex. I knew that my bill would change drastically, and so a £30 customs bill became a £100 bill thanks to someones idea to ship through Fedex. The next product that was shipped from that company, reverted back to UPS for whatever reason, and I was extremely happy because I knew I would receive a drastically reduced invoice, and it was £32

That is £70 increase from a silly decision change. I know for a fact that Customs bills are what deter a lot of International customers, even more so now due to increase in product and shipping prices.

But there are cheaper alternatives out there, at least to the UK.

One of the reasons I haven't bought from Sideshow in years is because of the greedy mits at Fedex. I refuse to pay £70 to £100, when I know it's from a simple button pressed on a computer, and other companies are invoicing me for way less. If they changed their shipping methods, I would be buying at least one statue a month , rather than one every couple years.

I wish Sideshow would look elsewhere for their International shipping providers. It may take a little longer to arrive, but I would rather a few more days in transit than a 80% increase in customs charge.

Sorry, it's just infuriating how much money we international customers are losing over stupid decisions like this.
samhain81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 12:29 PM   #2
dmoff
Kindly Asked To Leave

Email sideshow customer service and say you only want your stuff shipped with UPS. Or DHL, they also seem to charge less in my experience.
dmoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 12:51 PM   #3
RadAsGhoul
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

I'm down in the south, in Dublin, and specifically asked for Fedex, as they always charge me less for the taxes and duty. Works every time. fingers crossed it stays this way. I've Wolvie and RS coming shortly, didn't receive anything since November
RadAsGhoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 01:11 PM   #4
ukshaun
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by samhain81 View Post
What is the situation with Sideshow and Fedex? Do Sideshow have a contract with Fedex, or do they just use them as preference?

My reasons for asking is that I've had two statues delivered, a few months apart; one from Fedex International (via Fedex) and the other from Parcelforce uk (via UPS).

Both were from another company on here mind you, but my query is relating to sideshow ultimately, and their Fedex shipping. Because up until a few months ago, I was receiving all orders from this company from UPS and then through Parcelforce when it hit the UK, and when delivered I was given bills of around £30 only for customs/VAT. When I asked parcel force about the code they used, they said it was 5% tax code, and has always been so for them on these products. I thought that's amazing, and ultimately one of the main reasons that I was still buying from this company.

Then out of nowhere, this company decided to ship one of my orders through fedex. I knew that my bill would change drastically, and so a £30 customs bill became a £100 bill thanks to someones idea to ship through Fedex. The next product that was shipped from that company, reverted back to UPS for whatever reason, and I was extremely happy because I knew I would receive a drastically reduced invoice, and it was £32

That is £70 increase from a silly decision change. I know for a fact that Customs bills are what deter a lot of International customers, even more so now due to increase in product and shipping prices.

But there are cheaper alternatives out there, at least to the UK.

One of the reasons I haven't bought from Sideshow in years is because of the greedy mits at Fedex. I refuse to pay £70 to £100, when I know it's from a simple button pressed on a computer, and other companies are invoicing me for way less. If they changed their shipping methods, I would be buying at least one statue a month , rather than one every couple years.

I wish Sideshow would look elsewhere for their International shipping providers. It may take a little longer to arrive, but I would rather a few more days in transit than a 80% increase in customs charge.

Sorry, it's just infuriating how much money we international customers are losing over stupid decisions like this.
If you were charged 5% then you got lucky. The standard import charge into the UK is 20% on items such as statues.
ukshaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 04:16 PM   #5
Python
Omega Red

As far as I understand, Sideshow dictate the code used, not Fed Ex or Parcel Force etc. Sideshow used to use the 5% code, and I really wish they would again. I have set my preference to Fed ex only, Sideshow will work with you and accommodate such requests if you ask them to only use the alternatives.
Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 04:24 PM   #6
ukshaun
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Python View Post
As far as I understand, Sideshow dictate the code used, not Fed Ex or Parcel Force etc. Sideshow used to use the 5% code, and I really wish they would again. I have set my preference to Fed ex only, Sideshow will work with you and accommodate such requests if you ask them to only use the alternatives.
There have been times i appear to have been charged less than 20% which led me to believe, Sideshow had possibly covered part of the cost? ..and this has always been with DHL
Old 05-16-2018, 04:35 PM   #7
Python
Omega Red

Beats me, I generally get overcharged and have to argue it. I think you're just getting lucky.
Old 05-16-2018, 04:42 PM   #8
ukshaun
Hercules

Quote:
Beats me, I generally get overcharged and have to argue it. I think you're just getting lucky.
There is no point to argue. Statues fall under the 20% bracket. I did once go down the long road of filling out various pieces of paper work to attempt to recover 15% and failed. I've spoken with those at customs. The helpful person on the phone did say there was a time when 5% and the 'code' (when used) would cover statues. The rules changed, and 20% applies to statues. Personally, i feel it is a con.

You pay more than 20% if you use the Global Shipping Program that some US ebay sellers use. This makes even less sense, as it appears 20% goes to UK customer and about 3% goes to ebay?
Old 05-16-2018, 04:51 PM   #9
Python
Omega Red

I mean I generally get overcharged on the 20%. occasionally by a significant amount. I'm not sure how they are messing it up, but its a regular occurrence for me. Fortunately Fed ex will help you out with such things which avoids the need to deal with UK customs, who can only be described as Satans Ar****le.
Old 05-16-2018, 05:05 PM   #10
ukshaun
Hercules

Quote:
I mean I generally get overcharged on the 20%. occasionally by a significant amount. I'm not sure how they are messing it up, but its a regular occurrence for me. Fortunately Fed ex will help you out with such things which avoids the need to deal with UK customs, who can only be described as Satans Ar****le.
FedEx and UPS parcels tend to get stuck in customs for weeks at a time. After which the dreaded 20% is added.

With Sideshow + DHL, even although there is a charge to pay, 20% (sometimes less) there is zero hold up in customs. The parcel takes about 3 days from door to door (Sideshow to customer) which is amazing! - I'm not sure what DHL have going on that FedEx and UPS don't?