Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 02-08-2017, 07:36 PM   #941
Davidian
Omega Flight

I can totally see myself re-reading these. I don't buy them for a one-time-read through. Mind you, it may be quite a while between doing so, but I'm certain I will. Hell I know my kid will probably want to read them eventually too, when he gets older.
Davidian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 01:25 AM   #942
Parallax
Nightwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones View Post
Here's a question: How many of you go back for 2nd, 3rd or more readings of an Omnibus? Did you enjoy it as much? More?

Just curious. There are a couple I'd like to go back and read but they take me so long to get through that I've already established quite the backlog and of course more continue to be released. Not sure if I'll ever go back despite my intentions!
I haven't yet, but I absolutely will. Especially on more complex stories. It's not Marvel, but I'm definitely going to be reading Grant Morrison's Animal Man again. I'm sure I'll re read Geoff Johns Green Lantern. I don't think I'll re read any of the early stuff, like Fantastic Four or Spider-Man. It's great to read the starts of the characters and see how everything came to be, but otherwise the quality for the most part isn't as good as things today and once I've read it I have no desire to re read it. The stories aren't complicated and I don't find myself forgetting anything important.
Parallax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 02:32 PM   #943
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones View Post
Now that is interesting! What made you go digital? I was reading comics on my tablet for awhile but once I switched back to books I can't even compare. I just love holding a book so much more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidian View Post
Yeah I'm curious too. I'd be afraid that once I went digital, my physical connection would just become a tireless burden. Lucky for me, I love having something physical in my hands for the money I spent.
I've been reading comics digitally for quite a few years now. I love the ability of having everything at the tip of my hand. I do read a lot, and I mean a lot, so it is extremely convenient. I read at my lunch break, while traveling, at my porch, before going to bed, and at any chance I get. I have thousands of comics in the cloud and hundreds downloaded to my tablet at any given moment.

Now, I only buy omnibuses or hardcover books of stories I love and have already read. Mostly classic runs but also some newer stuff. I do not buy books of stories I do not know. In those cases, I prefer digital instead. If I like them, then I get the hardcover books. For my book collection, digital grants me the ability to make the right choice based on my personal taste.

Finally, I would like to say that at first, I had my doubts in regards to digital. I was one of those that preferred a physical copy whether in music, movies, games, books and comics. Once I accepted it (after all is the future of entertainment), I felt at peace with it. I enjoy the simplicity of modern times vs the hording of old days. Plus my attic looks better uncluttered.
JP Sarri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 02:36 PM   #944
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallax View Post
I don't think I'll re read any of the early stuff, like Fantastic Four or Spider-Man. It's great to read the starts of the characters and see how everything came to be, but otherwise the quality for the most part isn't as good as things today.....
That's highly debatable
Old 02-09-2017, 02:39 PM   #945
Davidian
Omega Flight

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Sarri View Post
I've been reading comics digitally for quite a few years now. I love the ability of having everything at the tip of my hand. I do read a lot, and I mean a lot, so it is extremely convenient. I read at my lunch break, while traveling, at my porch, before going to bed, and at any chance I get. I have thousands of comics in the cloud and hundreds downloaded to my tablet at any given moment.

Now, I only buy omnibuses or hardcover books of stories I love and have already read. Mostly classic runs but also some newer stuff. I do not buy books of stories I do not know. In those cases, I prefer digital instead. If I like them, then I get the hardcover books. For my book collection, digital grants me the ability to make the right choice based on my personal taste.

Finally, I would like to say that at first, I had my doubts in regards to digital. I was one of those that preferred a physical copy whether in music, movies, games, books and comics. Once I accepted it (after all is the future of entertainment), I felt at peace with it. I enjoy the simplicity of modern times vs the hording of old days. Plus my attic looks better uncluttered.
Fair enough sir!
Davidian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 02:55 PM   #946
MrJones
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

The convenience is the only selling part to me. I too like to read whenever I get the chance, but with the big Omnibuses I won't be taking it with me to a waiting room at the dentist! And so I only read at home now.
MrJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 05:03 PM   #947
Parallax
Nightwing

Quote:
That's highly debatable
Storytelling and art in early comics were not on par with what they are today. It was years before we even started getting stories that took place over multiple issues. Once that started, quality shot up exponentially, but they still don't compare to more modern stories. What was great in the 60's isn't all that great now. 60s Daredevil vs Miller, Bendis, Brubaker, and Waid Daredevil. There's a world of a difference.
Parallax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 05:51 PM   #948
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

Quote:
Storytelling and art in early comics were not on par with what they are today. It was years before we even started getting stories that took place over multiple issues. Once that started, quality shot up exponentially, but they still don't compare to more modern stories. What was great in the 60's isn't all that great now. 60s Daredevil vs Miller, Bendis, Brubaker, and Waid Daredevil. There's a world of a difference.
Like I said, it is highly debatable. It depends on who you ask.
Old 02-09-2017, 07:12 PM   #949
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Quote:
Like I said, it is highly debatable. It depends on who you ask.

You can actually read 60s Marvel through 2017 eyes by reading between the lines. Marvel from 1965 on is amazing. Then again, I'm biased as silver age Marvel has an element of nostalgia for me. However, for younger readers, that era of storytelling may look outdated like silent films.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 07:19 PM   #950
ratchet
Mandarin

Quote:
I disagree wholly - I miss the days of self contained stories in a single issue. Some of these stories now move at a snails pace because they are trying to spread it out over many issues. I, for one, think quality has gone down from years past.
ratchet is offline   Reply With Quote