Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 05-08-2018, 04:21 PM   #241
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothamite View Post
Yes, and I'm hoping that all of these deals (including AT&T's bid for Time Warner) are blocked by the FCC. Consolidation at this scale is awful. Also, with the current administration repealing net neutrality, communications companies can throttle competitors' websites. It's a terrible time to be a consumer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
Could not agree with you more. However, considering who is running the FCC I won't hold my breath for them to make the most sensible decision.
I did not mind the Disney/Fox deal, and yes it was partially selfish because I knew Fox would never sell rights back without this deal. But also on a non-selfish level the deal was for Fox Films and Tv Studios, which leaves fox with their Broadcasting and Sports networks and affiliates. Also that might allow a few smaller film studios to fill the void left by Fox because I doubt Disney will green-light certain things and other studios can provide those projects.

However, I completely agree with you on the other mergers. It's a consolidation of already giant corporations that have way too much lobbying pull in government and would only have more if merged together. So yeah, I'm with you, but I still want my complete MCU
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 04:40 PM   #242
Gothamite
Phoenix

In this day and age, bc of how TV deals are structured, selling Fox TV to Disney essentially means that Fox Broadcasting has no programming to put on air. Astonishingly, this also means that if the Disney-Fox deal is finalized, the Fox network might not be profitable enough to stay in operation. This makes the rest of Fox less competitive against Disney and Amazon when it comes to bidding for sports broadcast rights.

This article by Vox jumps the gun a bit by assuming the Disney-Fox deal was "done", but it goes into detail why such a transaction sucks: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vox...ox-deal-merger

The X-Men and Fantastic Four rejoining the MCU is a Phyrric victory for fans. You're giving up too much for too little.
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 11:29 AM   #243
Demona
Martian Manhunter

As I can not control what happens as I don't have the billions to buy anything, I am hoping for the best outcome for MYSELF which is a unified MCU and Disney getting X-Men.
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 02:34 PM   #244
Josh-a-tron
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
As I can not control what happens as I don't have the billions to buy anything, I am hoping for the best outcome for MYSELF which is a unified MCU and Disney getting X-Men.
I was actually just reading another article that basically states if the deal is going to go through it's better for Consumers if Disney gets it for a couple reasons. First, it'll give Disney what it needs to start it's streaming service which can compete with Netflix, which may actually bring prices down. Second, if Comcast does get the deal it bolsters their catalog and could actually increase their cable prices, which if you don't have Comcast is effin' scary cause they already charge an arm and leg.

So while Disney may be getting very large, we would still benefit at least a little if they win out....and I live near Disney world and really would like a MCU portion of the park with all the Characters, which I hear may be in the works.
Old 05-09-2018, 02:46 PM   #245
Gothamite
Phoenix

Per Marvel's agreement with Universal, Disney is not allowed to use most of the Marvel characters in their theme parks east of the Mississippi River. West of the Miss River, Disney can't even use the word "Marvel" in their theme parks. So unless Disney buys Comcast, you're gonna have to go to Universal Studios.
Old 05-09-2018, 03:54 PM   #246
Josh-a-tron
Sculptor

Quote:
Per Marvel's agreement with Universal, Disney is not allowed to use most of the Marvel characters in their theme parks east of the Mississippi River. West of the Miss River, Disney can't even use the word "Marvel" in their theme parks. So unless Disney buys Comcast, you're gonna have to go to Universal Studios.
They can't use Marvel, but they Can use individual Names from the Films, which is why they've already got the Guardians of the Galaxy: Mission Break out and intend to use MCU films in Disneyland. However as far as East of the Mississippi they can use Certain Characters that are not in use at Universal Orlando, they're already planning Guardians of the Galaxy and Black Panther and they are currently negotiating with universal for more so they can have MCU Characters at Disney world.

https://www.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/...ven-in-orlando
Old 05-09-2018, 06:27 PM   #247
Gothamite
Phoenix

Yes, negotiating with a company that

A) is trying to buy the same company as Disney is
B) is trying to buy a company that still has significant rights to Marvel characters
C) tried to buy Disney
D) is the largest competitor in the theme parks business

Good luck!
Old 05-09-2018, 07:42 PM   #248
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

Quote:
Yes, negotiating with a company that

A) is trying to buy the same company as Disney is
B) is trying to buy a company that still has significant rights to Marvel characters
C) tried to buy Disney
D) is the largest competitor in the theme parks business

Good luck!
Don’t put all your eggs in one basket. Money talks. Disney has plenty of it.
JP Sarri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 08:18 PM   #249
KELPIE
New Republic

I'm sure Comcast buying Fox would be far worse than if Disney got it.

Comcast are still struggling to get their Time Warner deal across the line, how do they expect to get Fox if it does?
KELPIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 08:22 PM   #250
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by KELPIE View Post
Comcast are still struggling to get their Time Warner deal across the line, how do they expect to get Fox if it does?
AT&T is trying to buy Time Warner, not Comcast.