Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Pop Culture Shock

Old 08-15-2012, 12:40 PM   #1
Jyester
Kindly Asked To Leave
Adamantium Member

Fixing My Broken Vega Claw

Ok so I had the usual fiasco with Fedex playing football with my Vega EX when I bought him and the claw came smashed in a good few pieces. I glued it together to a pretty decent standard and you had to look close to see it. For me though I knew it was broke and it pissed me off every time I looked at Vega all I could see were the glue lines on the claw

So I decided to set about fixing it properly and below are the steps and photos I took to do so

1. (Fig 1) Take off Vega's hand and marvel at how easy it is to break the claw. I am amazed some actually made it to people unscathed. Mine arrived as showing which was slightly upsetting. The good news is I took pictures and got Fedex insurance for him so the purchase price ended up only being shipping costs bargain!

2. (Fig's 2 & 3) Take a small knife to remove the claw section out from the hand. The claw section is actually held in by a little glue and can be popped off from the hand relatively simply. As you can see there is a hole in the hand and a small rectangular section added to the claw which fits in there nicely.

3. (Fig's 4,5 & 6) Find a decent sculpture who can make a replacement claw section. I happened upon a guy to whom this was child's play and paid about $35 shipped for it. Not only did he mirror it pretty perfectly he also made it out of a stronger material so it would be less likely to break than the original.

4. (Fig 7) Simply slot this new & improved claw section back into the hole in the hand with a little glue in there and leave it to set

5. (Fig 8) Pop the hand back on Vega and feel happy that when you look it him now you can admire the beauty of the statue rather than have your eye drawn to the broken/repaired claw
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FIG1.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	73704   Click image for larger version

Name:	FIG2.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	73705   Click image for larger version

Name:	FIG3.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	73706   Click image for larger version

Name:	FIG4.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	73707   Click image for larger version

Name:	FIG5.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	73708  

Click image for larger version

Name:	FIG6.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	73709   Click image for larger version

Name:	FIG7.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	152.7 KB
ID:	73710   Click image for larger version

Name:	FIG8.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	444.2 KB
ID:	73711  
Jyester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 12:45 PM   #2
Quest99
100,000 sperm and you were the fastest?

That is awesome! Now you know you have to give out your "guy's" info as i have a feeling that alot of ppl will need his service.
Quest99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 03:58 PM   #3
rems
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

+1
rems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:44 PM   #4
Ricky Bobby
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Great job on the repair
Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 02:20 AM   #5
SkyPirate82
Death is hereditary.

I love the Vega statue but I still can't believe how flimsy the claws are. Mine didn't even make the 30 mile car journey from the original owner intact.

But, I digress. That's a nice job, Jyester.
SkyPirate82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:40 AM   #6
thecollector80

You didn't have insurance shipping with fedex?
thecollector80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:02 AM   #7
Jyester
Kindly Asked To Leave
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quest99 View Post
That is awesome! Now you know you have to give out your "guy's" info as i have a feeling that alot of ppl will need his service.
If people want this replacement claw piece PM me and I will see if I can have a few made and then send them out to you .. I don't plan to make any $$ on them but would be happy to help out. I reckon this should be possible as the sculpture has the mould. Would only order one load of them though as I don't plan to be a claw distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecollector80 View Post
You didn't have insurance shipping with fedex?
Yip that's the good thing the sender claimed and refunded the statue costs via insurance and so I ended up paying only the shipping costs to keep him which I was happy with
Old 08-16-2012, 12:22 PM   #8
BornFreeSF
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyester View Post
If people want this replacement claw piece PM me and I will see if I can have a few made and then send them out to you .. I don't plan to make any $$ on them but would be happy to help out. I reckon this should be possible as the sculpture has the mould. Would only order one load of them though as I don't plan to be a claw distributor

Yip that's the good thing the sender claimed and refunded the statue costs via insurance and so I ended up paying only the shipping costs to keep him which I was happy with
We know the same guy I think hahaha
BornFreeSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 01:26 PM   #9
thecollector80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyester View Post

So you got it pretty much free then. Nice!
thecollector80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 06:19 PM   #10
Jyester
Kindly Asked To Leave
Adamantium Member

So far I have requests for around 7 of these replacement claw sections. I shall give peeps a day or so more to let me know if they want one via PM then I shall give the sculpture dude a shout with the total number required.

Cant promise anything but can sure give it a go and he would probably be happy for a little extra pocket $$ I imagine .. win win for all